NEWS

Remo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, by some of your posts I do have to think if you are serious or sarcastic.

This one here above is one of these.

Maybe Moto Guzzi does not go with the flow. And maybe is still Moto Guzzi exclusive. I do not know if this is conscious. The designed bikes are not directly concurrent for the market, I still have my doubts about Italian style. But maybe sometimes someone have to do something to survive and maybe is this project (scramble…?!?!) one of these desperate attempt.

I am quite serious that the brand image that Moto Guzzi have been projecting in recent years (through its product delivery, its service, its customer relations and its general communications) – as much by default as by intention – has been out-of-touch, out-of-date and more trashy than it should be.

I believe, though others do not agree, that such an image is not attracting customers, nor creating any great excitement among the loyal previous customers.

I have tested this on various Guzzi forums over the past year and more – and the feedback and comment confirms it, to me.

Perhaps the REALLY enthusiastic people are just keeping quiet for some reason, or they don't visit forums; and they are out there, buying new bikes in secret. :huh2:

I understand what you are saying about why Guzzi thinks it's good to produce below-par offerings and stop-gap products. I'm just saying that I (as a customer, committed supporter, observer) don't think that it is good enough: and it's a short-termism that ultimately may just be confirming the hopelessness of the brand rather than turning things around and acting as a crucial step to ensure its survival. Let's face it: nothing HAS to go on for ever. There comes a time when it's better to finish on a high note, rather than slump into decline and keep whimpering along ignoring the circumstances (customers). For sure, Moto Guzzi are not good at the communications business (major understatement) – so maybe they actually have a cunning masterplan and maybe they will surprise and delight in 2013. Looks like we'll have to wait until then to see.

A bit disappointing, I would observe that Aprilia is beating the pants off Guzzi in terms of innovation - at both the high end (RSV$) and low end of the market (new 125cc). I have heard that Piaggio has positioned Guzzi to compete with BMW (pls correct me if I am mistaken) and BMW is also, uh, light years ahead in terms of innovation.

The Scrambler does not offend me but it is just splitting the V7 brand into another sliver - and will not be nearly enough to lift Guzzi out of the "basement" as one of us put it. The California is a kind of bike I really know nothing about.

The motorcycle industry today seems to be poised on the brink of another leap in technology (ABS, electric propulsion, sophisticated fuel injection mappings, and even anti-collision technologies and many more). European manufacturers are once again leading the way in most of these. I would really like to see Guzzi assume more of a leadership role.

Not trying to hijack the thread but the Diavel does look better in the flesh. The Carbon reminded me of a big, black bull, all the mass in front.

For the new bikes, I guess I'm just an old school Guzzi guy, neither does much for me. The new California might be beautiful but it doesn't look it from this picture. The V7 is just another attempt to flog a few bikes with minor changes.

If I was Guzzi, at least here in the 'states, I'd be putting money into a better dealer network and better parts support. Now that I'm an outsider I hear what just about everybody says about Guzzis, great bikes but few dealers, even fewer worth the name, and terrible parts supports. I'd love to own another Guzzi but it isn't looking likely these days.

Lex

that Ducati Diavel is actually pretty nice in the flesh.

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that from the pictures. The Diavel looks absolutely hideous. I'm (kind of) glad to hear it though. More power to them (ha ha) if they can make it work.

I'll reserve judgement on the Guzzi's as well until I can seem them. the 750 (scramber?) looks like a Ducati knock-off, but I'll wager she doesn't have the HP.

I like the idea of a large displacement 4 valve watercooled mill in the future product. cali, griso, stelvio, or norge. The scrambler idea is odd to be polite but like triumph is just aimed at comfortable position for about town or a lane. I cant help but wonder about a proprietary engine or even Piaggio tooling up for 500-750cc bikes aimed for another rider and rolling it under the Guzzi badge. Much lighter and with 17 inch wheels to take advantage of the tyre technology.

Guzzis to me are made beside a lake in northern Italy, that is a problem that was pointed out, but like Harley who smartly left the loyal rider in the early 80's its time to move on and I wish them luck. May they have a driven team who take pride in what they make and a whole lot of backing to make it work.

Trimph under Bloor was able to capitalize on not only the engine design associated with the product, but bring back another configuration as well. Now all identify those engines with Triumph. Cant help but ponder what is still possible with a field apparantly saturated and satisfied with current layouts.

May the retro thing curl up and die, innovation is something that Guzzi was a master at once apon a time. Heres hoping some old time Mandallarian spirit is present in the future product.

I'm still waiting for the roads to warm up enough to hop on that great Guzzi that takes me to beautiful places. Ducatis are for pussies.

Cheers :bier::bier::bier::2c:

Whats up with the heads on the new California? It looks like they go almost to the top of the gas tank. I'll reserve judgement on the looks until I see a better picture. Btw I went to the cycle world bike show this weekend and there wasnt even a bmw display let alone Guzzi. Triumph was there though. Speaking of weird new bikes, that Ducati Diavel is actually pretty nice in the flesh. I sat on the thing and its lazy boy comfortable too. The seat was a plush as anything I've ever sat on.

I have it figured out - those super high tappet covers are really cunning cup holders for all you guys in the Northern hemisphere who really get a "real" Winter.

What better way to travel but in comfort with a 60'C mug of hot chocolate each within easy reach (one for the rider and one for the pillion) just pass it back when she nudges you ! The motor also actually vibrates enough to keep a nice little froth on top.

[quote name='Gregg'

I have it figured out - those super high tappet covers are really cunning cup holders for all you guys in the Northern hemisphere who really get a "real" Winter.

What better way to travel but in comfort with a 60'C mug of hot chocolate each within easy reach (one for the rider and one for the pillion) just pass it back when she nudges you ! The motor also actually vibrates enough to keep a nice little froth on top.

My, Guzzi think of everything :whistle::drink:

The new California has a lot more styling cues to the Ambassador than to the Tonti-framed Cali's. I remember when the original V7 was introduced ( I was 14 - but I'm not yet swimming with the Caelocanths, Pete) - it looked big, bulky and odd, and is now a classic. This one doesn't do much for me, but the posts on the Daevel are right - it looks better, esp in black, in the flesh than in any photo, and maybe this one will, too. I've never owned a cruiser, but as someone who lives on the begining of the Great Plains, where corners are few and cherished, I understand their appeal.

I really have to wonder if the new engine isn't just taken from the BigBore people - yeah, they put some fins around the cylinders, but is the 1400cc displacement just a coincidence?

As for the Scrambler, it looks fine to me, as do almost all of the variations on the 750. They are the best looking bikes Guzzi makes - just too damn slow. Hell, Triumph's version of their new 'Scrambler" was a shameless and less-than-pretty copy of their 650/500's from the 60's, and most of the motopress loved it.

Since the V11, I haven't seen much of anything from MG that interests me. My bike is just as fast and handles as well or better than the Norge or V12 Sport. Like Peter, I'm thinking Aprilia, but one of the remaining V-Twin Tuonos instead of an RSV4. Most of the new bikes are just so much better in every way that it's hard to ignore them. Yet, my Rosso has so much more soul....it's why I've kept it - so far.

...when the original V7 was introduced..it looked big, bulky and odd, ...

Still does :)

.... Since the V11, I haven't seen much of anything from MG that interests me. My bike is just as fast and handles as well or better than the Norge or V12 Sport. Like Peter, I'm thinking Aprilia, but one of the remaining V-Twin Tuonos ...

Have you tried a Griso?

Have you tried a Griso?

No, but I'd love to. Mate, have you tried a current Tuono? About as comfortable as the Griso, but no excuses for handling, acceleration and brakes - all top notch.

What does that mean? A backtrack on using them as a base for the new engines and models that have talked about? The Cali cruiser is really the only 'new' idea that they can actually produce... or what? The future is cancelled? Better buy MCN to find out.