Where are the V11s for sale?

John in Leeds

There are still plenty for sale though most of them are the non-öhlins models. I do notice though that you hardly ever see ones offered with high mileages. Most are (well) below 20k km. A lot were probably bought on impulse and then years later are sold because they don't get ridden. And those that pile on the miles don't sell their bikes I guess.

I have put more miles on mine in two years than the bike has done in the 7 years before I had it.

A few things went wrong, the most annoying and expensive being the Öhlins front fork seals (which have lasted all of 15,000 miles - is that typical?) and presently a packed-up starter motor. But otherwise no drama, no exploding flywheels, no gear selector springs broken.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just snagged a "like new condition" Coppa Italia off ebay from forum member Foggy95.

Welcome back :mg:

Beautiful bike :wub:

I still can't believe Guzzi didn't put Ohlins on the Tenni

The Tenni in the factory museum has Ohlins and that is because it was crashed and they had some Ohlins forks free to replace the damaged ones.

...Öhlins front fork seals (which have lasted all of 15,000 miles - is that typical?)...

I've never got near that mileage out of seals. My Scura has 5 sets in 27k miles. Replaced clutch assy, had pawl spring issues, & rear wheel bearing problem in first few years but now running sweetly. I love my Tontis & didn't think I'd take to the Scura same way but, have come to really like it's relaxed ways & I wouldn't sell it now. The one thing I really still struggle with tho, is it's handling limitations on bumpy, twisty roads. Tonti never frightened me the same way.

Welcome back Orangeokie, that's a lovely looking bike.

KB

I will be in the market for a reasonably priced Ohlins shod V11 if anyone knows of one for sale.

erm... *thinks* :whistle:

:)

A few things went wrong, the most annoying and expensive being the Öhlins front fork seals (which have lasted all of 15,000 miles - is that typical?) and presently a packed-up starter motor. But otherwise no drama, no exploding flywheels, no gear selector springs broken.

Got my ohlin shod bikes forks serviced at 12000 miles. Tech said they were like new. Now on 30000 miles and no issues, so no seal failures to report here :oldgit: Oh and my bikes a keeper as well :drink:

...Öhlins front fork seals (which have lasted all of 15,000 miles - is that typical?)...

I've never got near that mileage out of seals. My Scura has 5 sets in 27k miles. Replaced clutch assy, had pawl spring issues, & rear wheel bearing problem in first few years but now running sweetly. I love my Tontis & didn't think I'd take to the Scura same way but, have come to really like it's relaxed ways & I wouldn't sell it now. The one thing I really still struggle with tho, is it's handling limitations on bumpy, twisty roads. Tonti never frightened me the same way.

Welcome back Orangeokie, that's a lovely looking bike.

KB

I can tell you that the first owner wasnt a happy man from what I see from the service record ;-)

I have Metzeler Z6 on the Scura, and Continental Contiforce on my Sport1100. The latter feels much surer and nimbler, contrary to its reputation, so that's probably down to the rubber.

Just an observation that here in UK there seem to be very few V11s for sale any more. I regularly have look round sites like ebay and MCN but currently nothing. Could it be that they have all found good loving homes? Could it be that they no longer infuriate as a heap of expensive unreliable garbage and must therefore be disposed of a quickly as possible? :unsure:

My RC is still a total delight and keeps me a-wheel whilst my other bikes are being less than co-operative. It cannot be that other owners are having a similar renaissance, can it? Strange :cheese:

Ask and ye shall receive . . .Here you go

Another reason that V11' s might be scarce is that money isn't worth a lot now. Not just for resale value in general, but Guzzis have never been worth much if used. If I was to sell my (back to stock) '01 Sport...I couldn't get much out of it; maybe 5K USD, but I doubt it.

After 10 years of ownership, I find that I like the V11. After many more years of ownership, I really, really love the older models- Eldorado (850GT) and the early Tonti frames. Silly as it may seem, that may be the direction I'm moving.

Actually, I am now entertaining the idea of putting the V11 motor into a three-wheeler a la Morgan. My other fantasy is to mill the cooling fins back to old-school round and install the V11 motor into my Eldo. Christ, that'd be a hoot.

people have been talking about the collectability of the V11's and while I agree I also think it has something to due with their often low value to what the owner feels they are worth, thus making them keepers. I'm at the point I wish I still had mine (for reals) and would consider going back if it seemed right but then I would also feel like I'm back tracking and a real loser for selling in the first place so I guess the only one I would buy back is the actual one I sold off, I'll just look at a griso instead :)

..................I also think it has something to due with their often low value to what the owner feels they are worth, thus making them keepers.....

My feeling Ben, is that it really doesn't worry me what the value is. Within reason I can have pretty much what I want in the 2 wheel arena, it's just that I really like the V11 as my motorcycle. :thumbsup::rolleyes:

..................I also think it has something to due with their often low value to what the owner feels they are worth, thus making them keepers.....

My feeling Ben, is that it really doesn't worry me what the value is. Within reason I can have pretty much what I want in the 2 wheel arena, it's just that I really like the V11 as my motorcycle. :thumbsup::rolleyes:

well sure, but for the right price you would sell amiright? well that just means owners love them for more than they are worth monetarily. I didn't want to even really sell mine even if I sounded like I did sometimes I had peer and wife pressure and we were broke at the time it made sense when I did. :/

well sure, but for the right price you would sell amiright? well that just means owners love them for more than they are worth monetarily. I didn't want to even really sell mine even if I sounded like I did sometimes I had peer and wife pressure and we were broke at the time it made sense when I did. :/

I'm struggling with this currently. A friend of mine has been after me to sell him the Tenni pretty much since I bought it back in '04. He's nearly rabid about it. A few nights ago he called and offered me $9000 US for it (not sure exactly how serious he was; I could nearly smell the scotch through the phone :wacko: ) . With which I could buy a nicely sorted standard V11 *and* buy the supercharger kit for my Land Cruiser. But then I wouldn't have the Tenni, and I'm not sure the money's worth the regret I'd almost immediately start losing sleep over. Maybe if he signed a "first right if refusal" contract...

Anyway, that's the problem. Regardless of what it's worth, I am in the extremely fortunate position of not needing to sell it, and not sure if I can deal with not having it.

Well....... you may see that my little picture attached to my posts it is titled 'lucky'. I don't have a lot of wealth by current standards but I really do have pretty much everything I want. If someone offered me a very large amount for my Guzzi, unless it was accompanied by a promise of world peace :drink: I don't think I could be bothered. I've had motorcycles of various types since my teens so what would I want now, MV, another GS another Honda? Why on earth would I want to do that when I know apart from a brief pleasure in the excitement of the new there would be a lasting regret at parting with a motorcycle that is 'right' for me. Fortunate am I that my missus understands and my friends are covetous, and that my health is such that I can still handle 'Red Sonja' respectably. People may think otherwise but I know when I'm on a good thing. :sun: (with apologies to KB)

Well....... you may see that my little picture attached to my posts it is titled 'lucky'. I don't have a lot of wealth by current standards but I really do have pretty much everything I want. If someone offered me a very large amount for my Guzzi, unless it was accompanied by a promise of world peace :drink: I don't think I could be bothered. I've had motorcycles of various types since my teens so what would I want now, MV, another GS another Honda? Why on earth would I want to do that when I know apart from a brief pleasure in the excitement of the new there would be a lasting regret at parting with a motorcycle that is 'right' for me. Fortunate am I that my missus understands and my friends are covetous, and that my health is such that I can still handle 'Red Sonja' respectably. People may think otherwise but I know when I'm on a good thing. :sun: (with apologies to KB)

that's something I realized after the fact of selling mine, I'm basically in a scramble to recapture those emotions and I was spoiled that the RSVR was just as good to me if not a tiny bit better in different ways like a super model but the V11 was good looking AND made you dinner. :bier: