Posting pictures on the forum.

Admin Jaap

There are 2 possibilities to show pictures on the forum:

1. Linking to a file already on the net.

While posting click the button. A window appears. There you have to type or paste the complete URL - like http://www.yourdomain.com/image.jpg

If the file is on a website not yours, rightclick (Windows) and a Properties window appears. Select the URL and copy it. Paste this URL in the window that appears when you push the button while posting.

If you don't have your own webspace there are plenty free hosting providers where you can store your pictures. Do a Google search for "free picture storage" or something like that. When you post link to the picture on that free picture host.

Note. a lot of free hosts don't appreciate it when you only link to your pics on their servers. That way they can't show their ads. So read the terms & conditions before you sign up!

2.Uploading an image from your harddrive.

While posting, you will also see a file attachments option, this will allow you to attach a file to be uploaded when making a post. Click the browse button to select a file from your computer to be uploaded. If you upload an image file, it may be shown in the content of the post, all other file types will be linked to.

A few rules:

-Images should not be wider then 500 pixels

-Filesize not over 200 kB. (Please as small as possible)

-Only one picture per posting or answer possible.

-Only jpg, gif or png files will show.

If you are a computer nitwit (and proud of it...) and this helpfile doesn't help; you can send me the pictures and I will resize them (if necessary) and store them on the webserver. I will send you the links to copy/paste in your posting. (like in option 1.)

I prefer option 1. It doesn't use up my webserver space

OK, so much for now. Hope it helps!

Jaap

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Nogbad

Jaaaaaaaaaap,

Help. I have taken to using photobucket to save your webserver from abuse. BUT whenever I link to a picture it comes out HUGE.

What can I doooooooooo?

Jaaaaaaaaaap,

Help. I have taken to using photobucket to save your webserver from abuse. BUT whenever I link to a picture it comes out HUGE.

What can I doooooooooo?

90336[/snapback]

Since i've upgrade my photobucket to subscription it did the same. What I had to do was go into account options and change the maximum size of the photo. Has seemed to do the trick otherwise have to edit each photo in turn

• 8 years later...

Seems there may have been some recent changes on the photo sizes the forum will accept. Hosting sites have long been encouraged, but there is concern that some of the really valuable old threads (like belfastguzzi's gearbox side cover work) have dropped the images.  I brought the discussion here so we can all be on the same page. At least until the page gets turned. :blink:

Here's Zooter's post from Tech Topics.

More on this posted by Zooter:

"I have deduced the problem is the way the forum displays photobucket in popups doesn't work on android. I can cut and paste the links manually, pita that it is. Directly linked photos display fine."

• 1 year later...

I'm using photo bucket and have tried with all 4 url choices... twice. All I get when posting is a message saying I can't use this extension on this site. The photos were taken on an iphone6. They are big but I thought PB resized them. Any ideas?

I also use an iPhone and photobucket. I've found this process to work well:

• Import to photo software. I use "Photos" (previously iPhoto) that comes with Mac OS.
  • Export from there to a temporary folder on desktop - you can decrease the image size and resolution during export. I generally choose medium or large (not full size) photo - and medium or or low resolution. 
  • Then drag the smaller files from the folder to photobucket (takes less space).
  • From photobucket - when you're viewing just one image, click on the IMG button - it copies a link to your clipboard, which you can paste right into your post.
  • Use the "preview your post" option until you can see pictures. 

Per Docc's comments above, I've been trying to upload technical or how-to pictures to the forum, but for everything else I just use photobucket. 
Uploads stay on the forum, photobucket stuff goes away if the user cancels their account or moves things around.

Scud, Thanks for that tutorial! I've really never been able to "get" how to resize in OSX before the photobucket upload.

Thanks, again. Cheers!

• 1 month later...