Tricking out my V11 Le Mans (2004 model)

thekiwiguy

Hey everyone! I am the proud owner of a beautiful v11 Le Mans here in Seattle. I have owned her for 4 years and will take her to my grave BUT....i really feel the need to spuce her up a bit. I was thinking a set of new pipes (full system), better suspension, and maybe some carbon fiber here and there, along with a new screen and maybe lower bars. Looking for inspiration and ideas. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about spending around $5k. Thoughts?

Hey everyone! I am the proud owner of a beautiful v11 Le Mans here in Seattle. I have owned her for 4 years and will take her to my grave BUT....i really feel the need to spuce her up a bit. I was thinking a set of new pipes (full system), better suspension, and maybe some carbon fiber here and there, along with a new screen and maybe lower bars. Looking for inspiration and ideas. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about spending around $5k. Thoughts?

Supposedly the front wheel off the 1100 Breva/Griso/B.Sport are a lighter design. Probably have to do some searching of the site for the exact thread where it's spelled out, but you might want to keep that in mind if you're interested in spending that much money to fix it up: adding lightness is always good for performance, right? :thumbsup:

I thought I saw a sweet set of headers and collector pipes from Agostini's. You could combine that with your choice of mufflers. Todd at GuzziTech has stainless headers, you could combine them with either of the available collectors. Todd will also make whatever you want. Or GPR offers a two into one set up. I prefer the sound of a two into one set up.

The new CARC bikes do have a lighter front wheel, but I doubt they would swap over without a bit of work. Not sayin' you can't, just that it would likely take a bit of work. Another option is replacing the entire front end with a used front end for something like a '06+ GSXR 750. That give you better suspension as well as the lighter wheel and better brakes. Add to that a Brembo RCS master cylinder. Getting a lighter rear wheel takes a bit of doing usually. Few bolt on options, but some have made a wheel for another bike work with some machining.

The wifes V11 has a Penske shock, along with pipes and head work. Nothing too extreme, it is the wife's bike not mine. The Brembo RCS is a sweet piece of kit, I have one on my Daytona. it works well. 

Adding lightness. :glare:  Bit of an oxymoron there me thinks. LOL

From Colin Chapman, of Lotus cars, "Simplify, then add lightness."

I always think the Guzzi could benefit from that. She is sometimes like dancing with a very beautiful, but heavy, woman on high heels. :o

Has anyone on the board tried the GPR exhaust?  I like the look and probably the sound too.  Curious what effect it had on performance.  With the weight savings just neutral is a benefit.

Thank you for citing the reference for me! A great man, Mr. Chapman...

The anecdote that Chapman would remove frame bracing until the frame collapsed, then add the last one back in reminds me of Greg Field's account of Wittner's development time at Moto Guzzi placing the front wheel against the wall and driving the bike against it til something broke, then beefing up that part. (I'm paraphrasing pretty deeply here).

Steve Wittman, of 30s air racing fame (he was racing, and winning!!) until he was 90, was quoted back in the day as saying, "Only add simplicity and lightness.."

I'm sure there are others, but it is true, no matter who was the originator of it. :oldgit:

With a Rizoma aluminum reservoir.

It looks great and it works stellar.

There used to be a guy here that would argue that an upgrade like that was stupid, but he never understood what it actually brings to the table.

The higher quality radial master is more efficient at converting your hand energy into braking energy. And the adjustable aspect of it allows you to tailor the feel to what you want. More power or more feel. 

The best $370 (with out the Rizoma reservoir) I think I have spent.

In the old days we ran Lockheed adjustable masters on our Ducati race bikes. The were pretty much the same. But they were more $$$. I think at $370 the Brembo piece is a bargain.

The anecdote that Chapman would remove frame bracing until the frame collapsed, then add the last one back...

Wonder what Jim Clark & Jochen Rindt's view might be on that?