Time to replace the rear shock

sp838

I was going to wait it out until the winter, and do a major rear end overhaul (brace the swing arm and replace bearings, add some drillium to the pork chops, aluminum subframe, etc.) but it's now clear that my new front end is out riding the rear. Probably would be fine for easy riding on the street and highway but when pushing it hard on the track this last weekend, the rear was definitely acting squirrely. With over 45k miles on the original WP shock, I think it's not too soon to start thinking about getting a new one.

So, taking a poll as to what shock I should go with. Öhlins would be the no-brainer choice, but wondering if it would be worth it to spend a little more on a Penske. Then there are some lesser known brands out there making high quality products without all the name recognition, and the pricetag can be a little more gentle. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

What aftermarket shocks are you running?

Thanks!

The wife has a Penske on hers. Awesome people to deal with, we went straight to Penske and talked to Michael Himmelsbach, he had one built specific to the wifes needs.

Ohlins is nice as well, probably just as much money as the Penske. I considered the Ohlins but the support was not quite on level with Penske and the product is a bit more high end for only a little bit more money.

There are other options, many of which are cheaper. But I look at it like a long term purchase and would rather go with the high end product that I know I will be able to get support for down the road. But that is me, to each their own.

The Penske has been flawless for 4 or 5 years. I should probably have it serviced soon. But it has not had any issues.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. My impression of Penske from others is that they are in fact superior in quality to the Öhlins, and also a shade more expensive, but I guess that depends on what all the bells and whistles are. And I totally agree re: buying the best you possibly can when it comes to a critical part like a shock.

It would be quite surprising that your V11 has a White Power. Possibly a gold colored Sachs-Boge with blue anodized rings and white spring?

If you really have a whitepower , why not just get it rebuilt / serviced? If you've just got the stock shock then anything will be an improvement - wilburs are also worth considering depending on local support (apparently at least as good as ohlins ) , I love my wilburs

didn't I read here the Sach's unit was rebuild-able with Ohlins components?  Even so, your bike is out of commission while you're waiting. 

Docc, you are probably correct. Either way, it's been ridden. Not too interested in having it rebuilt, as that would mean waiting at least a month with the bike out of commission. Maybe I can have it rebuilt after I've installed a new one, and have it as a backup, or maybe for reselling it to someone on the list who might want it.

Chamberlin, thanks for posting that. I'll ask around about the Hyperpro shocks... Right now I'm leaning towards Penske pretty hard.

You will be very pleased with shock upgrade. Getting the spring right is key, but all the shock people know that and will have a process for you.

Unless Öhlins has made a new run for the V11, the last of them has long since left the shelves . . .

I was going to wait it out until the winter, and do a major rear end overhaul (brace the swing arm and replace bearings, add some drillium to the pork chops, aluminum subframe, etc.) but it's now clear that my new front end is out riding the rear. Probably would be fine for easy riding on the street and highway but when pushing it hard on the track this last weekend, the rear was definitely acting squirrely. With over 45k miles on the original WP shock, I think it's not too soon to start thinking about getting a new one.

So, taking a poll as to what shock I should go with. Öhlins would be the no-brainer choice, but wondering if it would be worth it to spend a little more on a Penske. Then there are some lesser known brands out there making high quality products without all the name recognition, and the pricetag can be a little more gentle. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

What aftermarket shocks are you running?

Thanks!

I run a full spec Wilbers, preload adjustable, rebound, high and low speed compression. slightly longer than stock and raises the rear about 10mm.

I have experience with Ohlins and Penske, primarily on Ducatis but also Triumph inc their road and track forks and TTx rear shocks and the Wilbers quality seems to be on par with them and the unit works very well.

Ciao

It would be quite surprising that your V11 has a White Power. Possibly a gold colored Sachs-Boge with blue anodized rings and white spring?

Sachs-Boge, the one prone to cracking the rear shock eye? Somehow doubt it after this time if the bike's been ridden hard. The most shocking shocker I've ever come across!

Can it quick if it is a Sachs-Boge: you don't want to be riding if/when it lets go.

Docc is correct, the Öhlins MG 127 is no longer in production, and when I called to ask if they had a successor they quite unhelpfully flatly said no, and made no effort to suggest another product that might be compatible. I find it hard to believe that with all the shocks they make they don't have something that would work for us, but given the lack of interest their rep displayed in helping me, I have now decided to take my shock dollars elsewhere.

Damn buddy that sucks about the Öhlins rep not being helpful whatsoever. What a bummer. It's a damn shock absorber for cripe sake, not a one-off hand-hammered gas tank! I am not an Öhlins fanboy by any means, but since I had a rare opportunity to snatch up a complete, undamaged set that will fit my model year, I couldn't pass it up. I won't have a point of reference to really know how much better Öhlins are vs. the Marzocchi/Sachs-Boge combo, but from what I've heard, it's night and day... Regardless, I'm not a racer and I won't be tracking my bike anytime soon. In your case though, these kind of decisions are absolutely critical. For me, it's just the fun of building up the bike to meet my every whim.

Anyways, if there is anything I can do to help you get where you need to be, just let me know. The suspension should be arriving here any day now, so once it's here, if you want me to take measurements or anything, just let me know.

a48316-5-2jpg_t_1401895403_zps08474593.j
a48316-4-2jpg_t_1401895403_zps6c815cf4.j
a48316-1-2jpg_t_1401895403_zpsb69cb5a6.j

If rebuilding the WP is not an option for you,the 4-way adjustable Penske is as good as an Ohlin for considerably less.I bought one for my MK1 Speed Triple   yet to install it but the reviews from others members who bought on a group buy has been great.Plus They're local to the North East if you needed service.They custom make and set it up for your bike,weight,riding style so only minor adjustments should be needed when installed.

This was from an email a few years ago when the group buy happened,don't know if Nick's info and pricing is current.Maybe a  good reason to initiate a group buy for the V11ers as they are starting  to get long in the tooth,...

"Hi Michael,

I'm assuming you meant 8983?  Regardless, here are the prices for all the shocks and the fork rebuild.

8975:  $599 shipped, paid via Paypal.  $581 shipped, paid via cash or check.
8983:  $775 shipped, paid via Paypal.  $752 paid via cash or check.
8987:  $999 shipped, paid via Paypal.  $972 paid via cash or check.  

If you want/need a piggyback reservoir, add $125 to those prices.

FPK (Fork Piston Kit):  $625 plus shipping, with Paypal.  $610  cash/check.  If we can swing enough interest before Penske's winter  special ends on 12/31/2011, the prices drop to $575/$558.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know how I can help.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!"

Nick
610-888-1280
sales@stoltecmoto.com

I am not sure what the differences are between the Öhlins MG 127 and the Öhlins shock fitted to the later V11 Guzzis except that the 127 has remote preload adjustment.