V 11 chin spoiler search

Twin AH

Talked to Bruno.

€235 for me in the Emerald Isle, due VAT.

Still a good deal I think.

How difficult is it to paint carbon fibre?

I think he has a plastic one too. Maybe a bit cheaper than CF - and better for paint. He had quite a lot of other stuff for V11s and said he's going to start a new section of his website just for parts. He called them "tuning parts." That must be a nearly-accurate Italian to English translation. When I think "tuning" I think of getting the engine to run right. I think a better English word might be "custom parts." 

I got a package from Italy today.  :D

It appears that the chin spoiler will bolt right on with the supplied hardware, but I will need to drill holes in the rear fender to mount it with the supplied bracket.

The weave of the carbon fiber material is a bit finer than the stock Scura parts, but they look really good - and they weigh nothing.  Should be able to install this weekend.

photo (10).JPG

Chin spoiler went on easily. Four L-shaped brackets using the four corner bolts of the oil pan - each of which takes a rubber compression fitting with a built-in rubber washer for the inside of the spoiler. I think I will get some little rubber washers for the outside - just to minimize the stress around the screw holes.

Scud, does the fender cover the shock eye?

I didn't install the rear fender yet. To do so, I will need to remove the rear bolt for the shock in order to install the bracket.  Unlike the chin spoiler, the holes are not pre-drilled in the fender - but all the screws and washers are included.

The CF fender is a lot smaller than the stock piece, but it seems like it will still offer pretty good protection from spray.  I'll post a picture in a few days.

Scud, does the fender cover the shock eye?

I failed at installation today, because I only have a stand that lifts the swingarm. I have not figured out how to raise the bike in a way that will release the pressure on the shock so I can remove and reinstall the bolt easily.

However, I took a couple photos to show how the bracket and fender will be positioned. They will protect the shock-eye from tire spray. The stock fender left it wide open to spray - probably even channeled extra spray onto it.

This makes a lovely retrospective rationalization for my purchase... 

• 3 weeks later...

Update on living with the chin-spoiler:

• It was buzzing at about 3,000 RPM. I isolated the buzz by sticking a little piece of split vacuum line in various suspect spots.
  • Once I identified the source (right in front of the side-stand bracket) I sanded the edge down so it was far enough away from the bracket. No more buzzing.
  • It's not particularly fond of getting sprayed with rocks.
  • I bought a clear plastic strip that is intended to protect the kick-plates in car door frames. Trimmed to fit the the bottom - I can barely see it - should have put it on before going mudding the other day.
  • There is still no functional reason to put a chin spoiler on a V11. 
  • I still like it very much and would do it again.

I think it gives the Bandit a fine "stance!" Especially with the painted frame color. Bandits, otherwise, have always looked top-heavy to my eye.

V11? I suppose they look heavy all over; like a husky chick on high heels: lotsa fun, but ya best be careful! :whistle: