thinkin about a cruiser

footgoose

The first thing is that Tonti California Moto Guzzis are NOT cruisers.  They have standard riding positions and are a variation on the sport Tontis.  They handle and brake pretty well and If not particularly powerful they still rev.  Don't lug the engine and don't shift to 5th gear until an indicated 80 mph.

I have a '98 EV (it's photo was actually in an issue of Motorcyclist).  The EV has floor boards, linked brakes, passenger backrest and tubeless wheels.  Before you decide to take off the boards and delink the brakes (as I intended), ride it, it all works well together.  I like up-shifting with my heel.  The draw back is an uncomfortable seat due to a big computer under it.  Mine has HB Junior bag set up and I have matching rack on the Sport so I can swap the bags among bikes. 

It's basically the same short block and electronics as the Spineys but a little less finicky.  Although the TPS swap is giving me fits now.

Every motorcyclist should have a Cali IMO.

Thanks for the evaluation Low. Just the info I'm after. Great tip on the HB set up as well.

Regarding "cruiser", note that I placed it in quotes. Just an easy word to use for description. IMO, I don't think of any bike as a cruiser, as they all purpose built. That said, they can all be used to "cruise" whatever that means. In my world (goin out on a limb here) "cruiser" loosely defines any bike that a mfg'r designed/altered to emulate, the HD Super Glide. One of, if not the first factory custom that was designed to emulate the west coast custom bike trend in the late 60's - 70's. High bars, low seat, bulbous tank. Supposedly a more comfortable riding position.?. I have always thought the MG "Cali" style fits in there somewhere. The 850T is clearly a standard in my mind. The Sport/LeMans..?? A Sport Tourer?  IDK. I have described mine to friends as a gentleman's sport bike, but don't think it'll catch on :rolleyes:

That's a sweet Jackal/850/Sport hybrid project. Thanks for pointing it out.

As for buying a cruisy-ish bike (or any bike for that matter). You probably come out paying less by paying a small premium for a well-sorted and well-equipped bike - as compared to getting a deal on one and doing all the sorting and equipping yourself. But... if you enjoy the wrenching and want to personalize it, then it's a whole different story.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a stretch from the California style but I just encountered this, this evening. A very appealing motorcycle for some reason, and it is a "cruiser". The condition is just like this photo of another bike. Same all around. Nice patina. Not a 'barn in Indiana' patina, more like a SoCal or Nevada patina. I know the owner. Well maintained, runs great.

1973 850 Eldorado. Any thoughts? Things to look out for. Value range? Sorry I've strayed but this bike is so cool.

LV0114-180059_1.jpg

I've always wanted an old loop. I hear that the chrome cylinder bores can be a pretty major issue. I watch these pretty regularly. For price right around $3500 for a reasonable rider all the way to $15k+ for a restored beauty. Plenty of projects to be had for under a $1k.

Btw I personally like the patina on that one.

HI - this all sounds very familiar.  I've been dithering about this for the last year.  Until last week when I bought this ...

Spada 3 homeward bound

It's a 1994 carb'd 948 Tonti frame Spada SP3.  I LIKE the fairing even if no-one else does.  It cruised the 450 miles home, so it's a cruiser for me.

I still have the v11 LeMans - sometimes faster is better :D

V11 Rest and be thankful

I'll 2nd the Spada if you are looking for a touring bike.  I've done back to back 500+ mile days on my 1993.  It's less of a cruiser than a Cal and more of a sport touring bike.  IMHO the best of the Tonti framed Guzzi's.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Sp3A.jpg

• Like 1

I know this is a stretch from the California style but I just encountered this, this evening. A very appealing motorcycle for some reason, and it is a "cruiser". The condition is just like this photo of another bike. Same all around. Nice patina. Not a 'barn in Indiana' patina, more like a SoCal or Nevada patina. I know the owner. Well maintained, runs great.

1973 850 Eldorado. Any thoughts? Things to look out for. Value range? Sorry I've strayed but this bike is so cool.

attachicon.gifLV0114-180059_1.jpg

yeah, the chrome bores need to be replaced before you ride it.  If it is regularly ridden, you might inquire if it was already done.  Otherwise, what you see is what you get. 

great advice lowryter and czackky, thanks I will check that out. I've seen him out on it at functions and such, for 4-5 years or so, always running great, no smoke. Plus he's got a bike shop and is pretty meticulous with his stuff. I'll bet it's been addressed.

cola and milar, those Spada are great! one of my Guzzi books, can't remember, said they were quite rare. I recall it saying they didn't sell well, but were considered one of the best tour bikes made at the time, and one of the best Guzzi's. I'm not sure it's different enough than the LM for me, which I find is a very capable sport tourer. Except for luggage.

cola - I googled 94 spada sp3 and got the ad for yours! with a couple of nice pics.

thanks for the input- very helpful when one has visions of something new stirring it up :)

• 11 months later...

almost exactly 1 yr later... they don't come up very often around here. This is the second EV I've seen for sale near me in a year. It's an '01 with hard bags, looks nicely cared for, 17k mi. $3700. I'm looking at it tomorrow.

Just a refresher... 2001 is one of the good years, right?