2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Revival

Cdogger

I think I like your uncle. I'm glad he is insisting that you wear the right gear and get educated. However, I agree that the V11 is potentially troublesome as a first serious street bike. IMO - you should try to buy a small, street legal dirt bike (which you can resell later if you want to). Go find some dirt roads and have some adventures. Scooter and moped experience is helpful, but if you get some seat time in the dirt it will make you a better rider on the street. You can find the limits of traction and learn how to stay on the bike when it starts sliding, fall off a whole bunch of times and not care. I drop or stall my Husky regularly - because I like to try things that are difficult at slow speed.

The above picture is on the way to Laurel Lakes in the Sierra Nevada mountains, just South of Mammoth Lakes, CA. I muscled through one snow berm that was a bit smaller than the one in the picture, then found two more around the corner and gave up. That was May this year, elevation is about 10,000 feet.

• Like 1

I must admit I had similar thoughts initially but really the guzzi is a lot more user friendly than some of the high powered sports bikes young guys and girls start out on these days.

Sure it would be nice to go off road on a dirtbike in the meantime but I never did.

Anyone here in Cdoggers area who could take him out?

I agree with the 'dirt bike first' approach. As with what's been said regarding familiarization, etc, while off road, you'll get to focus on the bike and not the traffic. If you don't go that route, just listen to your Uncle. Sounds like he'll steer you right.

I understand and appreciate everones concern about me starting on the Guzzi. I would love to start on a smaller bike but I don't have access to one and I can't afford to spend that kind of money when I need to be saving for college as well as my flight time in the Robinson. If it helps, my parents set a bunch of rules about where and when I can ride it. I can't ride at night or on the freeway and I can only drive to school and friends houses until I go to college.

Yes he does. V11LeMans.uncle   Have you ever listened to Red Barchetta by Rush - and payed attention to the lyrics?  It's about a good uncle who leaves a machine for his nephew.

My nephew has gotten pretty good on his Husqvarna TE250 (street legal dirt bike). Now he really wants a too-fast sport bike, which his parents will not allow. I am hoping his parents will let him take my K75s after I get it sorted out.

You can ride any motorcycle if you have control of yourself and the machine. The former can sometimes be the more difficult challenge - which is why a bike with less power and weight makes a good learner.

• Like 3

Yes he does. V11LeMans.uncle   Have you ever listened to Red Barchetta by Rush - and payed attention to the lyrics?  It's about a good uncle who leaves a machine for his nephew.

My nephew has gotten pretty good on his Husqvarna TE250 (street legal dirt bike). Now he really wants a too-fast sport bike, which his parents will not allow. I am hoping his parents will let him take my K75s after I get it sorted out.

You can ride any motorcycle if you have control of yourself and the machine. The former can sometimes be the more difficult challenge - which is why a bike with less power and weight makes a good learner.

That's really kind. I hope your nephew learns to appreciate that K75s--such a fine bike.

Well... I don't want to take too much credit here. I just found a K75s with 75,000 miles (about 25% of it's useful life) for $500 recently and it had an Ohlins shock, which will be migrating to my keeper K75s.  If his parents are OK with it, and if he's willing to defer his racer-bike wish, I would ask him to buy the parts and help me fix it up. I think it's kind of a long-shot because the parents are so against the sport-bike. 

Here's how it would go:  Hey kid - you want a motorcycle? OK, let's replace that cracked bell housing together next weekend. While we're at it we can figure out where that oil leak is coming from... and bring some new tires... and here's some brake fluid... flush it through...  and you don't want to ride something with cracks in the fuel lines do you?    :grin:

If you take care of it properly you will have gray hair and still be riding it!

Just out if curiosity how long can a Guzzi last. Mine only has 15k miles.

If you take care of it properly you will have gray hair and still be riding it!

Hey! I *resemble* that remark!  :oldgit:

(I update my mileage on my profile, but do not have the highest mileage V11 in the world by quite a lot . . . that would be AY)

• 2 weeks later...