2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Revival

Cdogger

I recall there is a method to tighten the filter one and one eighth turns after the gasket touches. Works for me.

We all put a layer of oil on the filter gasket first, yes?

Yes I oiled the gasket. I may drop the pan again tomorow and check it once more.

I always just lube up the gasket with some oil and turn the filter until it's "good 'n tight"

......then add the hose clamp to keep it there.

You are going to do this, right? Sort of like this, keeps the filter from working itself loose:

PICT0006-5.jpg

Hey guys! Here's a quick update. I got the fuel pump working with some help from Roy and some carb cleaner. I just sprayed some in the inlet tube and let it sit for a day and it started working. I replaced all the relays with ones from digikey. It seems to have fixed my electrical issues. I tweaked the mirror mount back into place with some vice grips. I epoxied the fairing crack. I finished replacing all the fuel lines and hose clamps. All their is to do now is figure out a way to stop the brake pedal rubbing the exhaust, replace the brake and clutch fluid, replace the gear oil, replace the engine oil, touch up the fairing with paint, fix the chin pad and re upholster the seat.

What kind of brake fluid and clutch fluid is ideal? Do I need a special tool? Thanks.

The specification is for DOT4, which is fine. There are other options, but not to worry about that now. A couple more important things: remove the wheels and inspect the brake pads (especially the rears as they wear rather quickly).

Take the time and care to clean the piston movement in the calipers until all of the pistons move evenly when the pressure is applied. You will have to "block" pistons while working one in and out repeatedly while cleaning with brake cleaner (in a *well ventilated area*) and cleaning and LIGHTLY lubricating the pad pins with silicone grease ONLY.

Special tools: clamps and wood blocks to retract brake pistons.

Your exhaust can be "groomed" by releasing all of the fasteners: the header flanges, clamps, center hanger behind the gearbox (inspect the rubber), canister hangers, then re-tightening them a step at a time in a *star pattern* while bumping it gently here and there with a soft mallet to relieve all stress from the exhaust system especially at the header flanges.

If that doesn't open that space, something is bent. :o

Hey guys! Here's a quick update. I got the fuel pump working with some help from Roy and some carb cleaner. I just sprayed some in the inlet tube and let it sit for a day and it started working. I replaced all the relays with ones from digikey. It seems to have fixed my electrical issues. I tweaked the mirror mount back into place with some vice grips. I epoxied the fairing crack. I finished replacing all the fuel lines and hose clamps. All their is to do now is figure out a way to stop the brake pedal rubbing the exhaust, replace the brake and clutch fluid, replace the gear oil, replace the engine oil, touch up the fairing with paint, fix the chin pad and re upholster the seat.

Regarding the brake pedal hitting the exhaust... like doccs answer (he said it better than I did) the post I made earlier was an attempt to help you correct that problem. this post ..

If she took a hard hit on the muffler, the muffler bracket (plate) or the hanger may be bent. The whole exhaust system may have been pushed to the left side a bit. (this can cause the exhaust to hit the brake pedal) You can loosen all the exhaust bolts and clamps and coax everything back.  

The right side muffler, in it's standard position, will look like it is further out than the left one. It was built this way. So don't let that mess with your head. Does it have the emission canister still on? It's the stupid looking thing attached to the bracket that the exhaust crossover is hanging from. With hoses coming out. Right in the center, in front of the rear tire. That hanger bracket could be bent too. This is all easy stuff.

• Like 1

Regarding the brake pedal hitting the exhaust... like doccs answer (he said it better than I did) the post I made earlier was an attempt to help you correct that problem. this post ..

If she took a hard hit on the muffler, the muffler bracket (plate) or the hanger may be bent. The whole exhaust system may have been pushed to the left side a bit. (this can cause the exhaust to hit the brake pedal) You can loosen all the exhaust bolts and clamps and coax everything back.  

The right side muffler, in it's standard position, will look like it is further out than the left one. It was built this way. So don't let that mess with your head. Does it have the emission canister still on? It's the stupid looking thing attached to the bracket that the exhaust crossover is hanging from. With hoses coming out. Right in the center, in front of the rear tire. That hanger bracket could be bent too. This is all easy stuff.

I will start working on this tomorrow. I just loosened all the bolts and kind of wiggled it around a bit. My garage is full of mosquitoes now so I will resume in the morning.

See? This is coming together! :thumbsup:

Now you just need a good bass man to sit in with that drum set in your avatar . . .  B)

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19248

I actually play in 2 bands. Piano/ organ in a blues/ rock band and drums in a jazz band. I'm actually pretty surprised how easily this is coming together. Its so much nicer to work on than my car. So much cleaner and no rusty bolts.