2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Revival

Cdogger

the clip on can be bent back. mine was the same. take it off, strip it bare and put in a vise. use an iron pipe to GENTLY pull it back. take your time, it can be damaged. mine went back fine and fast.

The exhaust clip?

No sorry, the clip-on handlebar

Does the right side exhaust header or exhaust canister have any signs of damage?

Looks like she might have got pitched hard on her right side?

Yeah. When my uncle bought the bike secondhand back in 2007, there were some scratches on the right side muffler. I also know the bike once tipped over in the wind and gas leaked and stripped some paint from the right fairing.

If she took a hard hit on the muffler, the bracket (plate) or the hanger may be bent. The whole exhaust system may have been pushed to the left side a bit. You can loosen all the exhaust bolts and clamps and coax everything back.   The right side muffler, in standard position, will look like it is further out than the left one. It was built this way. So don't let that mess with your head. Does it have the emission canister still on? It's the stupid looking thing attached to the bracket that the exhaust crossover is hanging from. With hoses coming out. Right in the center, in front of the rear tire. That hanger bracket could be bent too. This is all easy stuff.

Does the right side exhaust header or exhaust canister have any signs of damage?

Looks like she might have got pitched hard on her right side?

Yeah. When my uncle bought the bike secondhand back in 2007, there were some scratches on the right side muffler. I also know the bike once tipped over in the wind and gas leaked and stripped some paint from the right fairing.

If she took a hard hit on the muffler, the bracket (plate) or the hanger may be bent. The whole exhaust system may have been pushed to the left side a bit. You can loosen all the exhaust bolts and clamps and coax everything back.   The right side muffler, in standard position, will look like it is further out than the left one. It was built this way. So don't let that mess with your head. Does it have the emission canister still on? It's the stupid looking thing attached to the bracket that the exhaust crossover is hanging from. With hoses coming out. Right in the center, in front of the rear tire. That hanger bracket could be bent too. This is all easy stuff.

Great I'm glad this is all fixable. I was so worried the pipes were bent and I would have to heat it up with an oxy-acetylene torch and bend it. The metal tube the right handlbar controls go over is bent. Is that repairable? 

I also notice my spark plug caps were torn. Does anyone know if the NGK caps on Harper's will work? I don't want to pay $50 for the OEM spark plug caps.

I got a set of NGK leads and caps from Moto International in Seattle. They look good after I wiped the pretentious "NGK Racing" white lettering off them using isopropyl alcohol. There is a nice anti abrasion sleeve over part of the lead so you can tie the lead to metal parts without a problem.

And of course everyone knows that Moto Guzzis run best with red ignition leads.

I also notice my spark plug caps were torn. Does anyone know if the NGK caps on Harper's will work? I don't want to pay $50 for the OEM spark plug caps.

I got a set of NGK leads and caps from Moto International in Seattle. They look good after I wiped the pretentious "NGK Racing" white lettering off them using isopropyl alcohol. There is a nice anti abrasion sleeve over part of the lead so you can tie the lead to metal parts without a problem.

And of course everyone knows that Moto Guzzis run best with red ignition leads.

Ah man you shouldn't have rubbed the "NGK Racing" off. Everyone know that they add 20hp!  :grin: I think my leads are fine but I may replace them at some point.

• Like 1

Those Champion (made in the UK) are identical to the resistor caps on the earlier, faster, better looking Sports of 1999-2001. :rolleyes:

"Great I'm glad this is all fixable. I was so worried the pipes were bent and I would have to heat it up with an oxy-acetylene torch and bend it. The metal tube the right handlbar controls go over is bent. Is that repairable?"

I'm only speculating based on the one photo. I can't really tell the extent of the damage from it. All things bent can be straightened, unless it's cast. Even some cast can but not easily. I'm advising what you should try first. I have found that many buggered up items can be put right with some finesse and fiddling.

the tube that you speak of IS the handlebar. 7/8" X about 12" long.?? That's what I was calling a "clip-on" handlebar earlier when describing how to fix it. There is an anti-vibe assembly inside it under the bar end weight. Just strip the tube down as best you can and stick it in a vise. Take care to not crush in the vise. You can use a couple bits of hard wood on either side while clamping. Use and iron pipe 2 to 3 ft long that will slip over the tube. Slowly bend it. It will bend relatively easy. Roll it on a flat surface to check for straight.

So I was changing the oil today and noticed there were 2 gaskets on the oil filter I pulled. This is wrong right? I know on cars you are not supposed to double gasket the oil filter. 

So I was changing the oil today and noticed there were 2 gaskets on the oil filter I pulled. This is wrong right? I know on cars you are not supposed to double gasket the oil filter. 

That is trouble and should be checked at every filter change. Oil filters on these motors are a source of failure if they come loose, or if the gasket gets doubled.

Hopefully, the motor has suffered no oil pressure losses . . .

IMHO, there have been issues with some runs of UFI filter gaskets. Some filters came loose, some stuck so hard Superman couldn't get them off through the porthole of a V11S, some stuck to the seal surface, and the mechanic didn't notice (!) and ran another filter on top.

I quit using them after having a leaker, and reading about others leaking at the crimp. I now use the Bosch 3330. It's an ok filter, available anywhere.

That is trouble and should be checked at every filter change. Oil filters on these motors are a source of failure if they come loose, or if the gasket gets doubled.

Hopefully, the motor has suffered no oil pressure losses . . .

I feel a little nervous now about how tight I turned it. 

I recall there is a method to tighten the filter one and one eighth turns after the gasket touches. Works for me.

We all put a layer of oil on the filter gasket first, yes?