Moto Guzzi Norge VS Sport 1200?

JesterGrin_1

I am brand new to the Moto Guzzi interest. And thus for the last few days I have been reading everything I can but as some might understand I still know nothing lol. So I thought I would ask. :)

I have been really looking at the Norge and the Sport 1200 for my first Moto Guzzi. As I do wish to have bags and a decent enough fairing for highway use. Especially since I am in South TEXAS so when speeds are normally in the 70-85 mph range with long stretches of highway it would be nice to have a bit of wind protection to hide behind.

I understand I think that Aftermarket Fairings are available for the Sport 1200's but my main concern is reliability and self maintenance between the two models and what short falls one model may have over the other as I am not in a position to just throw money away. 

So of course I am mainly looking at a used Moto Guzzi so what years of these models should I look at or to say which ones should I avoid?

Thank You Everyone for your time and knowledge.

Speaking of Knowledge I have to say from what I have read thus far on this forum for being brand new I am very impressed with the free exchange of knowledge and the willingness to help others of which is great to behold in this day and age. Congrats to one and all in this respect. :)

Also, there is a thread on the 2008 Sport in the "Newer Models" sub-forum. Have a look:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19071&p=204833

This thread will get moved there eventually, but let's get some posting first!

[Personally, I think there ought to be a dedicated 1200 Sport Sub-Forum since *somebody* we know and love ( :notworthy: Chief Whip Jaap) has one!]

Hi and welcome. I can't opine on specifics, but over the last 10 years of my moto lifestyle, my mantra has become "less is more".

I'm 66 and do not want anything bigger or more bulky, or more complicated than my V11 LM. The 1200 Sport get's my vote.

Also, there is a thread on the 2008 Sport in the "Newer Models" sub-forum. Have a look:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19071&p=204833

This thread will get moved there eventually, but let's get some posting first!

[Personally, I think there ought to be a dedicated 1200 Sport Sub-Forum since *somebody* we know and love ( :notworthy: Chief Whip Jaap) has one!]

Thank You. I looked but it is not what one might call a lengthy thread lol. Nice starter content though. :)

The 8V motors have an issue involving the cam followers. They went to rollers at some point, 2011-2012?? for a fix.I'm not sure when or which models, but there's info out there. You may want to watch out for the early ones.

Thank You. Did they not make a 4V or to say 2 valves per cylinder?

As a true noobie Guzzi owner, I have little to contribute, other than enthusiasm.  One quirk I have noticed on my "o8 Sport is cold start occasional stalls and pretty dramatic hesitation off idle throttle until he warms up.   Any comments on that?

And welcome, Jestergrin_1!

I have a 2014 1200 Sport Corsa and I'm taking it to Spain and Portugal tomorrow for 10 days, yes it is an 8v but has been converted to roller tappets, it's a comfy bike for me age 60 and it will love the mountain roads, I've never ridden a Norge but I would think it would be more top heavy with all that extra plastic but much better wind protection, it's the same bike underneath so take your pick

Both are great mile eaters. The earlier Norges had too soft suspension. Gave a cushy ride, but handling suffered. There was a problem with the November 06 oil pump. Feel is about the same, including the top heaviness. That surprised me.

I was looking for a used Stelvio, (which uses the same engine as the Norge) but the entire flat tappet fiasco turned me off, so I ended up with a used Aprilia Caponord. 

If you want a Norge, make sure it is a model year 2013 or newer, or that the seller can prove that the engine was converted to roller tappets.

Look for the engine number to determine if it has roller tappets:

Stelvio AC :  After AC12596   03/12/2012
GRiSO A8 :  After 13524         04/12/2012 
Norge AA :   After 12214         04/18/2012

Rumors are that MG is making a new Stelvio, so maybe I will get one of those whenever it arrives.... ;)