Speedo vs. Tach needle color

Motojezek

I looked at a 2004 Ballabio today, supposedly with @7500 miles. I noticed the speedo and tach needles were not the same shade of orange, with the speedo looking brighter while the tach needle was duller. Is there any other reason than a replacement speedo for this? They looked the same in photos.  I passed on the bike. It looked great in pics, but to me looked dirty and tired on inspection, especially for just 7500 miles. Not implying the present owner of any shadiness. It's over 10 years old, so there is no legal requirement for " actual mileage".

I'm trying to end the lack of Guzzi in my life since 2001 (ex-owner of a 1995 Sport 1100), just haven't found the right bike close enough to me. Today was an almost 900 mile round trip and came up empty handed...that stung a bit.

I'm not sure about the reliability of the 04 speedos, but the earlier ones are known to be prone to failure. The needles should sun fade at the same rate. If you noticed the bike looking "tired" as well, I'd say you made a good call by passing on it. There will be more. Too bad though, on the long trip.

Welcome to the forum. You'll have fun here.

• Like 1

My original tach and speedo needles faded at different rates. But if it looks like it has more than 7500 miles on it, then it probably does. Keep looking, these bikes are worth it.

• Like 1

Seller also stated (but not before I was looking at the bike in person) that the clutch and front brake pads had been replaced. Seems a little early for that unless you're trying to preempt a Scura grenade.

Seller also stated (but not before I was looking at the bike in person) that the clutch and front brake pads had been replaced. Seems a little early for that unless you're trying to preempt a Scura grenade.

Billy Bobs had the twin plate clutch. Maybe it was 107500 miles? 

Billy Bobs had the twin plate clutch. Maybe it was 107500 miles? 

...or the speedometer/odometer cable was broken for a long time.   A clutch and brake pads at 7500 miles makes me think it is either wrong (potentially a lie by current or previous owner) or a sign of abuse (like drag racing).

Leaking seal could have prompted the clutch change. Mine was changed at about 4,000 miles under warranty.

My tach and speedo needles have always looked different after two tachs and three speedos.

I'm going to guess Scud is correct, original owner had a broken speedo cable ( and only got it replaced when he traded it in). I really wanted the bike to be awesome, it was a real kick in the gut to have to walk away after driving so far.

Both of mine have faded needles. Normally it's the tach needle that is more faded. Maybe at one time the speedo was replaced?

It's not a big deal . If the bike had serious miles on it you'd be able to tell and if you couldnt chances are the bike was well cared for.

Both of mine have faded needles. Normally it's the tach needle that is more faded. Maybe at one time the speedo was replaced?

It's not a big deal . If the bike had serious miles on it you'd be able to tell and if you couldnt chances are the bike was well cared for.

Interesting. I have 2 '02's, one purchased new, and both have needles that faded at the same rate.