Zinc chromate

docc

The absurdly complex restoration of the alternator cover is simply enigmatic.

There.  I fixed it for ya.

As for emblematic... and your emblems...  Where are they going? Or did you get all 4? Silver with red bird would probably look good on the ZC cover. That would probably look good on the triple clamp and the porkchops too.

"Enigmatic," indeed! Too funny! :grin:

I just got two, but only plan to replace the one on the alternator cover. Not sure what to do with the other. I think it looks good just below the instruments on the mounting bracket. The existing eagle badge on the the triple clamp is obscured on my Sport by the Moto Guzzi key fob a friend gave me from a trip to Agostini's in Mandello. :notworthy:

3D printing is amazing. We're at about the same stage as when the first Commodore 64 and Ataris came out. It'll be interesting to see where it leads. :oldgit:

It is Chuck. I believe it will revolutionise our whole economy eventually. They are 3D printing metals now and things like jet engine turbine nozzles. Currently when you machine something on the CNC there is over 70% of the raw material that ends up as swarf that needs to be transported back to be re made into new material and you need to stock and transport the raw material in the first place. 3D has virtually no wastage so stocking and transport costs are slashed, just for starters.

It will also change the way things look a lot. Currently even simple things like a machined bracket dont only look like they do because of the loads and forces they need to deal with but also because of the limitations of machining and even casting. 3D can produce exremely complex shapes easily so examples I have seen of structural components compaired to the machined piece they replace are much more organic looking because the manufacturing process is now unfettered. That really nicely machined 90 deg flanged bracket with its fillets and webs now looks more like a something that grew out of the ground because the item can now be designed purely to deal with the loads and forces without consideration to the limits of current machining. So machines will start to look more like they have grown than made in the future.

Think of this, in the near future you will put the thing you want to reproduce into your home 3D laser scanner email the file produced to your local 3D print shop which will have a metal laser 3D printer and it will produce the part on the spot. No part stocking no transport no wasteage.

Of course simple plastic and composite stuff you will do at home with your home 3D printer.

Its as much the secondary aspects that will alter our lives profoundly as much as what we will be able to produce with 3D. It will be big.

Ciao    

• Like 2

In my own fit of Vee-elevenosis Scuratimitis, I'm determined to get the alternator cover in at least one coat of primer today. Stripped with "aircraft" stripper (man, is that stuff potent! My nitrile gloves should have come up the arms further!), cleaned with SuperClean®, sanded with 600grit (and cleaned again).

The lower leading edge is awfully peckered up from these 100,000 miles, but I have the best-damn-primer in the whole-wide world! ;)

Trying to get the part warmed up for a first coat. (barely over 50ºF outside.

FWIW, the stainless fasteners were in good shape showing remnants of copper anti-seize. Threads to the wire wheel and a fresh, liberal coat of grease.

3D Printing:  yeah, this is going to be a huge change. Imagine just have a stock of raw materials and a printer... can't find little bushing? print one. Want some headguards with a different logo? Print them... share your files with your friends - or print a bunch of badges for alternator covers and sell 'em to your friends. I just read a science fiction novel, Aurora, by Kim Stanley Robinson. It was about interstellar travel, requiring multiple generations to reach other star systems. It was a fairly technical/psychological book (not a shoot-em-up). 3D printing featured prominently in their closed-system. They just needed to make sure they had enough of every element - then they could print anything they wanted. They just could not manufacture elements (hydrogen, beryllium, gold, carbon, titanium, etc. So much science fiction I read as a kid is reality today. This book really opened my eyes to how essential this 3D printing technology could become.

Docc, the anticipation builds... let's see that puppy on the bike.  "Move that Bus" was the chant before the big reveal in a home makeover show. They made the family stand where a bus blocked their view - then moved the bus to reveal their new home.

Docc, the anticipation builds... let's see that puppy on the bike.  "Move that Bus" was the chant before the big reveal in a home makeover show. They made the family stand where a bus blocked their view - then moved the bus to reveal their new home.

Sheesh  -I guess I better get out of the shop every now and then. :unsure:

Haha - more poseur stuff on my part. :sun:  It's not like I'm reassembling my gearbox or changing my flywheel. :blush:

Not sure when I can apply the Eastwood DiamondClearcoat® with the temps dropping, but in the meantime: on to the Decent Tune-Up and servicing my regulator grounds . . . :luigi:

So much science fiction I read as a kid is reality today.

Abso freakin lutely. An aunt gave me a book titled" Sun, moon and the stars" when I was a pup. Basically it said that we'd never make it to the moon, much less farther. I thought, BS..

I was right. *many * of the things that were common place now were science fiction then.

Just tonight, I asked my Google assistant (early Christmas gift from the Kid) what the weather looked like. She told me. Instantly. Told her to set an alarm for 5 minutes so I could turn the meat over on the grill. "Sure, Chuck.. five minutes.." 

I can remember Sifi novels that something like that would have been over the top. "Since calculators will never be powerful enough to calculate interstellar distances, future spacecraft will use mathematical savants as their navigators.."  for instance.

I *could* go on.. :oldgit:

woohoo!!! those look great! are you painting them or leaving them raw? this plastic takes well to rattle can paint, and only needs a thin layer.

• Like 1