Clutch and shifting questions

swooshdave

This is my first bike with a hydraulic clutch and I expected a super light lever feel. This is not the case, while it's better than the 850-T, which probably has a worn out clutch and a very stiff clutch, it nothing like my Commando that has a one finger cable clutch. Why more manufacturers didn't use a diaphragm clutch spring is beyond me.

Ok, so how heavy should the pull be? I current don't have an accurate why to measure it.

Second, I'm having occasional issues getting into First from neutral. Releasing the clutch lever a little helps as does stomping firmly down on the shift lever.

Otherwise it shifts pretty good. I think I found a false neutral once.

Any tips?

• Like 1

start with the basics like fresh fluid. Maybe a gear oil change if you don't know when the last one was. Also check the linkage. A lot of "transmission problems" are due to loose shift linkage. And if you feel like going "all-in" there is a shift improvement thread that shows how to fine-tine the pre-selector on the bench.

start with the basics like fresh fluid. Maybe a gear oil change if you don't know when the last one was. Also check the linkage. A lot of "transmission problems" are due to loose shift linkage. And if you feel like going "all-in" there is a shift improvement thread that shows how to fine-tine the pre-selector on the bench.

Yeah, I just read that.

I'm concerned with the linkage, need to post a video of it.

Youngest has the stomach flu, just up in the middle of the night waiting of the next episode.  :vomit:

Get the rear wheel off the ground , put it in second gear , pull in the clutch lever and see how much drag is on the clutch . It should be free. If not see what bleeding does. I assume you know how to do this ?  Also , check for free travel adjustments too.

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/XMWcsKDi1Yg

So here's the play in the shifter. There's a bolt holding that triangular piece on that's back out to allow play but it's not loose. Should that triangle be solid?

2d49ad8119baca355b06737f11f65437.jpg

Side question, hanging off the back of the gearbox is a bracket with two cylinders. Looks to be brass? What is it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That triangle should be SOLID . Get you a dental mirror so you can see the fasteners behind it. Replace the fastener in the front part of the triangle . Maybe a 6mm x 12mm  bolt  & washer ?

Those two brass looking thingys (technical term) are probably to route hoses through would be my guess. 

You have an issue with your shifter.. it shouldn't move like that. 

Those two brass looking thingys (technical term) are probably to route hoses through would be my guess.

I had thought of that too. Except it would route the hoses right into the top of the crossover.

Tightened down the bolt. Had to use several extensions to get to it from the right side. Shifts better. Let's see how she does when she warms up.

I had thought of that too. Except it would route the hoses right into the top of the crossover.

Then the burnt emissions are sent harmlessly into the atmosphere.. another Guzzi engineering marvel by Luigi.

Not a bad idea to pull the starter and groom the whole shift mechanism. Make sure it doesn't hit the *porkchop* on the downstroke.

The double hose bracket was there for the complex tank vapor/ charcoal canister system. If you unbolt the bracket from the back of the gearbox, be ready for gear oil to stream out.

Yup, one of those "Don't ask me how I know" things. :o

That and bleeding your clutch . . . . check out the Wheels Off Maintenance Checklist.

And to get to know, and love, your V11 even more: Tank Off Maintenance Checklist

But only after you've done a a Decent Tune-up

Three "compendium" threads that *should* keep you from buying every V11 you see and squirreling them away in your tidy garage . . .  :whistle: