V11 Sport Rivals

swooshdave

Ducati is doing well with the Scrambler Family (Scrambly?). I see quite a few on the road here. And it looks like an 1100 cc version is on the way.

I guess it *could* be uglier.. somehow.

Ha!  I agree Chuck.  I bet it's a great bike under all that ugly though.  Hopefully Husqvarna comes out with a better looking version of the same bike for those of us who don't like the KTM styling.

Yeah, at some point not too long ago KTM became a maker of really fast but seriously ugly motorcycles.

I love that KTM, other than its looks. That is one Fugly motorcycle. But I bet it is seriously fun to ride.

This is no Sport rival, but at least Ducati is narrowing their focus and developing a true Adventurer:

MTS-Enduro_DrapeBG_01_1600x1200.jpg

(Never mind the effects of seawater on alloys and electronics!)

Having just picked up a Ducati ST3, I've been reading a bit about it. This Sport-Touring comparison included a Moto Guzzi Breva in the mix. Interestingly, they noted that a V11 Sport with bags would have done better in this test, but it had been discontinued by that time and they were only reviewing new bikes (Norge was not available in US at time the article was written).

https://www.sportrider.com/ducati-st3s-abs-vs-honda-interceptor-abs-and-more-sport-touring-machines-torture-trek

• Like 1

Just out for a romp today, because we needed a frozen peach-apple pie for thanksgiving, and they are only available from a little shop at the end of a twisty road.

The ST3 fits some of the "rival" criteria we've discussed. Available new in same year (2004 was only year of overlap in showroom). V-twin. Similar original price, similar prices in used market. This picture on Palomar Mountain's South Grade today.

IMG_7149.jpg

The ST series of Ducatis are not like the V11 series (all of which are very similar). The ST2, then ST4, then ST3 (in order of introduction) each have different motors, frames, and fairings. I didn't realize how radically different each of the ST variants were from each other.  The ST2 probably also fits the rival category, but not the ST4 with it's superbike motor.  The ST3 motor is great - even better than the 1000DS motor in the Supersport I recently rode. It's got very usable power - smooth and predictable. It's also the most upright seating and passenger-friendly of the ST series.  Like the V11s there was also upgraded Ducati ST3 with Ohlins forks and shock. While Moto Guzzi gave the Ohlins V11s special names, Ducati just put an S on them: ST3s. I got the standard version (with Sachs shock).

• Like 1

ST2, ST4, ST4s, ST4s Senna, ST3. ST3s

ST2 would be most similar on power with the V11.  Riding position is a tad more aggressive on the ST.  Definitely lighter.  But oddly.. that weight while lighter is not as balanced.

Fairings are the same on ST2, ST4 ST4s.

ST3 revised the upper fairing.  The lowers are the same for all models.  The rears are also the same.

ST3 had the best seat of all of them.  

The S models all added Ohlins and Forged Marchesini's

• Like 1