Brake light issue

Cdogger

Alright guys. I have the weird problem of my brake light constantly being on. Because both filaments are on all the time no one knows when I'm braking. Not sure what is up with it. It's been like this since I got it.

Brake light switches (lever and foot) might be stuck. I'd start there. Take them off and clean. Make sure switches work. Both can get dirty because of their location in the elements.

Alright so I disconnected the rear switch and the brake light stayed on. The front switch wasn't touching the brake lever but if I press it the whole light turns off. (Pressed down is no brake). I think one filament is always supposed to run. Is this correct?

Yes, one filament (running) should always be on.

You are now in troubleshooting mode.

Now do the opposite. Disconnect the front switch and reconnect the back brake switch. What happens?

It almost sounds like a short in the front brake switch, but that's just conjecture at this point.

Are you saying that you've never had a functioning brake light for as long as you've had the bike? What does the wiring for the bike look like? Like someone has messed with it a lot?

it's likely the lever on the hand brake.  There is a little switch the needs to be moved very slightly.  take a mini screwdriver and loosen, then slide it slightly (can't remember which direction). 

Don't take it apart because there is a little ball bearing in there that activates the switch and it will fall out.  No need to do that.  Just slide the switch ever so slightly.  

It's about a two minute adjustment.  

Simplest solution I've seen: the bulb can be installed reversed on the mounts and light both filaments. Pull the bulb, turn it 180º .

Recheck the light functions (tail and brake) and?

• Like 2

Simplest solution I've seen: the bulb can be installed reversed on the mounts and light both filaments. Pull the bulb, turn it 180º .

1157 bulbs are asymmetrical. So you'd have to try pretty hard to reverse them. Not saying it can't be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1157 bulbs are asymmetrical. So you'd have to try pretty hard to reverse them. Not saying it can't be done.

The V11 tail light receptacle is pretty weak. I've seen the bulb reversed several times. It isn't that hard and both filaments will light.

• Like 1

Yep, the switches are absolutely worth checking as well. You guys know me, I'm always looking for the simplest, cheapest (Guzzi content, Chuck!), and easiest solutions. That would be the bulb or fault in the tail light (like the two connectors may be touching inside the bulb receptacle or the tail light wiring can be pinched under the tail section).

Otherwise, the rear brake plunger that goes up into the rear master cylinder from the foot lever can get really corroded or the actuation badly adjusted and the rear brake stays applied. Not only does the light stay on, but so does the rear brake. Not good, and doubly worth checking. :luigi:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18158&p=192643

post-328-0-30193400-1376618148_thumb.jpg

Rear Wheel Maintenance Checklist

The V11 tail light receptacle is pretty weak. I've seen the bulb reversed several times. It isn't that hard and both filaments will light.

I put that bulb in backwards and it wasn't hard at all!  This is the first thing (and the easiest thing) that you should check.

I tried rotating the bulb. What happened was that both filaments are constantly on. When I press the micro switch on the front both filaments turn off. The rear one doesn't do anything. Must be corroded or something. It also looks like the previous owner messed with some wiring under the fuse box. Could someone send a pic of the bottom of their fuse box so I can see if its right. Thanks.

I tried rotating the bulb. What happened was that both filaments are constantly on. When I press the micro switch on the front both filaments turn off. The rear one doesn't do anything. Must be corroded or something. It also looks like the previous owner messed with some wiring under the fuse box. Could someone send a pic of the bottom of their fuse box so I can see if its right. Thanks.

f15819d1337499c83ef81201bd3b6e4d.jpg

a238312cef27998254758c0961c74c99.jpg

• Like 1

The rear switch works. The front switch is sticking. Now the only problem undiagnosed is why the light only turns on when I'm breaking. When I insert the bulb one way braking turns one filament on and if I insert it 180° braking turns both filaments on. The light only runs when braking.