New (virgin) Moto Guzzi Owner

BLIGHT

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to this forum.... I live in between Salinas & Monterey CA.

Just made a deal to buy a beautiful 2003 Moto Guzzi V-11 Sport, but it's 1000 miles away.

My very good friend is going to consummate the deal with the seller and store the bike at his ranch.

He'll deliver it to me in July when he's here for the WSBK/MotoAM races over at the nearby Laguna Seca Raceway.

I'm 61 years old, and have owned over 60 motorcycles in my life.

I've always wanted a Moto Guzzi, and this one fills the bill!

It has under 10K miles, and the owner is a great guy, and a tad older than me (a good sign).

Nice to know he's not a 25 yr. old squid doing wheelies or burnouts.

It has some nice alloy M4 canisters on it , but it's mostly stock otherwise.

Below's a pic of the bike (assuming I attached the pic correctly)

I'm looking forward to passing on my decades of moto-knowledge, as well as gaining some insight to owning a Moto Guzzi!

Cheers,

BLIGHT

2003 V11 Sport.jpg

• Like 2

Is that the one in Spokane? 1000 miles? Fly and ride? I hear people do that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the one in Spokane? 1000 miles? Fly and ride? I hear people do that...

Yep, it's mine now.

Don't like to fly these days (unless it's on my VFR1200 ;) ) and my good buddy is bringing the V-11 here along with his new bike for the races.

He just drove 12 hrs. round trip today to go and pick up an old Yamaha XR-650 for another project!

When you're 'older' like me, patience is a virtue! It's only 8 weeks or so before I see it, and then I can start playing.

I have some big plans for the bike.... more on that later.

Also allows me time to sell a couple of others to make space in the manger.

Fortunately.... I have a bunch of other really fun bikes to ride in the mean-time!

Cheers,

BLIGHT

I think I smell a project... Looking forward to it.

I got my first Guzzi just a couple years ago... and it has proven to be the start of a not-insignificant obsession.

Welcome to Club Guzzi. Your 2003 model year bike will have a lot in common with the 2002 models so you'll want to get familiar with the transitions. For example, the 2002s have a tank pad and external fuel pump - but the 2003s have a smooth tank and internal fuel pump. Your lovely burgundy sport was probably sold as a 2003, but has the same tank and pump as the 2002s.

I think I smell a project... Looking forward to it.

I got my first Guzzi just a couple years ago... and it has proven to be the start of a not-insignificant obsession.

Welcome to Club Guzzi. Your 2003 model year bike will have a lot in common with the 2002 models so you'll want to get familiar with the transitions. For example, the 2002s have a tank pad and external fuel pump - but the 2003s have a smooth tank and internal fuel pump. Your lovely burgundy sport was probably sold as a 2003, but has the same tank and pump as the 2002s.

Hello Scud,

Interesting.... it has the upper tank pad for sure... visible in the pics.... so a 2002 tank, eh? 

External EFI pump actually allows for another fuel tank option if I feel like it!

I like the alloy M4 cans in the pic, but I have some really nice polished SS reverse-cone muffs....

Anybody know the actual OD of the tail-pipes going into the mufflers?

I've heard 50mm, but haven't been able to verify that with an actual owner of this model. Any help? A quick check with a caliper please?

Once I actually get the bike here and look it over in the flesh, I'll post a photo-shopped image of my overall project plan.

I think most of you guys will like it!

You should see my 2010 VFR1200... it was banged up and pretty homely when I got, but now it's a freekin' beauty.

BLIGHT

For us to see the VFR you'll need to post pictures first.

I've heard 50mm, but haven't been able to verify that with an actual owner of this model. Any help? A quick check with a caliper please?

My bike pipes from the headers to the crossover measure 45-47 mm, and the outlet from the crossover steps up to 51-51.5 mm where the mufflers slip on.

Nice bike BTW.

My bike pipes from the headers to the crossover measure 45-47 mm, and the outlet from the crossover steps up to 51-51.5 mm where the mufflers slip on.

Nice bike BTW.

Thanks.... the muffs I have are 51mm ID on the inlets, so they hopefully will fit!  I have an expander tool if needed.

Here are a few of my VFR1200 project (non-Guzzi!) pics.... it was pretty fugly when I got it from seller in NC....

It was the odd red/silver paint scheme, all faded and scratched up, and I thought it would be much more classy in all metallic silver....

Chromed the wheels too for a little 'bling'.

IMG_4881_zpsg9qbhhiy.jpg[/url]

IMG_4888_zpscznricvx.jpg[/url]

IMG_4879_zpsg27yig5d.jpg[/url]

• Like 3

I like what you have done to this bike... You will do at least the same to the V11 . They are almost perfect . You will $pend a lot of time perfecting it.

So , you have a manger ? Hmmmm.

Both are very nice, BLIGHT.

A VFR friend -- who had Guzzis, too -- and I would ride together a bit when I had my Ballabio.  He was always faster, but had a sixth sense about LEO's.  I had no sense at all, and thus got the blue lights.  C'e$t la vie.

Welcome, btw.  Don't know many older virgins.  :grin:

Bill

Heh - yeah, that VFR; an *old guy's* bike if I ever saw one . . .  :rolleyes:

Since this is an actual V11 thread, look for it to move to the 24/7 V11 subforum so we can keep better track of where BLIGHT goes with this.

(+1 on Scud's observation that your V11 will have the attributes of an '02 including the earlier white face speedomet/tachometer)

Heh - yeah, that VFR; an *old guy's* bike if I ever saw one . . .  :rolleyes:

Since this is an actual V11 thread, look for it to move to the 24/7 V11 subforum so we can keep better track of where BLIGHT goes with this.

(+1 on Scud's observation that your V11 will have the attributes of an '02 including the earlier white face speedomet/tachometer)

Riding it does make me feel younger... ;)

BLIGHT

I like your VFR and have been watching some f/s on CL.. but please don't chrome the wheels on your V11.. If I remember mine right about the only thing chrome on it was the Speedo/Tach bezels..(and pipes) A Leman's or Sport doesn't need any chrome..if you need it, add chrome to your XR..

IMG_0106-L.jpg

• Like 1