My 2003 V11 Sport Modifications

BLIGHT

Something about a Coleman lantern and a V11 are just right for one another.

True.... and they both run on unleaded gasoline!

Cosmetically challenged.

Harpers' - is that a british design?

It may be... looks to be a close match, but it does not surround the headlight rim as much as the OEM bikini, looks like about 1/2 compared to about 2/3 'encirclement'.

hmmm, I don't use that word everyday.

BLIGHT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys..

Moto Guzzi 2003 V11 Sport Deep Burgundy metallic paint: anybody have an exact match/color code?

If not, I'll need to figure this one out at the local auto paint shop.

Pretty much went to the end of the internet searching this one, but mebbe I missed a web page or two on the subject.

I have found some House of Kolor 'shimrin' colors and some other brands that look very close on a computer screen, but ya' never know.

Hopefully, these local guys will have color-chip books (over $100 to buy!) so I can hold it right against the bike for comparison in broad daylight.

I have something up my sleeve that you might find very interesting, and that's all I'm sayin' for now!  :D

BLIGHT

Any good automotive paint shop will have a computer that will match the color pretty closely. Then.. you need a women's eye to get it perfect. If it weren't for women, we wouldn't have colors like mauve.. :)

That burgundy color is a stunner...really nice...at one point, I wanted to paint my silver Norge a Burgundy....and also used a House of Kolor palette to find something close...more like a Black Cherry.   But I wouldn't change the overall color on your bike Blight, it looks really nice.

That burgundy color is a stunner...really nice...at one point, I wanted to paint my silver Norge a Burgundy....and also used a House of Kolor palette to find something close...more like a Black Cherry.   But I wouldn't change the overall color on your bike Blight, it looks really nice.

Don't worry... the burgundy-black cherry color has grown on me.

Hated it at first, but I love it now!

I have installed the 54mm Tomaselli clipons on my 03 Lemans.

Excellent quality, about 2-2.5  inches more rise, very adjustable for clearance with the fairing.

Had to reposition the brake master res, used stock cables and brake lines.

Make sure they are threaded to accept the OEM bar end weights.

Much better on my neck and wrists.

YMMV

I have been experiencing 'carb farts' (I know, TB farts) ever since I picked up the V11.

I've done all the usual recommended  (the hard stuff, synchro, TP, mapping) fixes, but to no avail...still coughing and even dieing occasionally.

Evidently, no matter what you do, farting can still happen at idle speeds around 1000 to 1100 rpm.

I finally ran across another thread here that recommended checking the battery and ground connections... today I really tightened em... done!

Next was unscrewing the NGK plug caps... then snipping off about  3/8" of the plug wire ends.

I screwed them back in snugly into fresh core wires, and popped the caps back onto some recently replaced NGK plugs.

It started up much easier then usual, and after the usual rough warm-up settled into a nice even idle at 1100 rpm!

Went for a few hard acceleration runs and came to a couple of stops at idle.... nice and smooth, no coughs, farts, no die! 

So far, after riding some more miles, no more 'farts' or coughing, and I'm very happy.

I'm gonna be pulling the tank soon for some 'other work', and will do the same at the coil to wire connections.

Has anybody here looked into higher voltage ignition coils? Why not... Like ACCEL or MSD or the like?

Even though the 'big-block' Guzzis are weak in low rpm charge voltage, a set of coils with 25% or more firing voltage could help at all rpm!!!

BLIGHT

Glad to hear you have solved your flatulence  problem, that must have been terribly embarrassing in public.  I guess most of us with the spitting and coughing problem have been fortunate to solve the issue by opening the valve clearances slightly, it worked on my bike.

Thanks for sharing, replacing the plug caps will be another tool in our tool boxes.

Jerry 

Glad to hear you have solved your flatulence  problem, that must have been terribly embarrassing in public.  I guess most of us with the spitting and coughing problem have been fortunate to solve the issue by opening the valve clearances slightly, it worked on my bike.

Thanks for sharing, replacing the plug caps will be another tool in our tool boxes.

Jerry 

Hello...true, not nice farting in public places! The previous owner had the valves set at his Guzzi mechanic in Spokane WA. just before it was shipped to me (I have all the work receipts). I have not checked them yet, but I will... mebbe this weekend.

Since the plug wire and ground fiddling seems to have fixed the issue, perhaps I found the cause!

I'm gonna look into some stronger coils too. I put some ACCEL coils on my XR1200 for more firepower.

The HD starts very easily (like 1 revolution) every time hot or cold.... the Guzzi? Has to crank over several times before it wakes up when cold.

The V11 is starting much easier when warm now I must say.

BLIGHT

The fact that the V11 has a "choke" is a clue that the ECU on the V11 is quite primitive.  I'm guessing it doesn't have a "startup" code routine, which on more modern bikes fires the injectors right at crank start with extra duration and loose timing to get the quick "one rotation" startup.  My V11 at best needs 3 to 4 spins before it catches so it probably only has the normal running code and needs a few turns to get the timing synchronized for the injectors.