Hot hot hot

voycie

Had to cross London yesterday in sweltering heat, the temp in locked solid heatwave traffic was off the scale. Not ideal for an aircooled ride but the V11 coped. Two issues surfaced...1. Neutral light remained on through all gears (but subsequently dissappeared once bike had cooled)

2. Low RPM popping/caughing became a problem (yes I still havent got round to adjusting valves, I think the heat/expansion exaberates the issue)

Anyways the mighty MG got me through it for the second time in 4 days so proves it can cope with some tough situations

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

hi 80s?  but a lot of traffic and humidity?

Speaking of heat it looks like Southern Cal and the Valley all the way north in Cali and east all the way to Utah and New Mexico are getting hit.  120 in the desert.  105 in Moab.  

A balmy & still 93 here in flyover America as I go 70 miles this evening to the dinner ride.

Ha you guys.... yes our definition of a heat wave doesnt match yours, but I challenge you to find anywhere in the states as congested as central london. Imagine the heat from every standstill vehicle including trucks, coaches and cars. Its not the same as heat on the move!

I have the same experience in New Jersey every time I get stuck in traffic on a HOT day.  Coughs and sputters. Once enough to blow the intake collar off the throttle body.

The worse was when I had a FBF air filter kit installed.  The intake is right between the hot cylinders.  In stop and go traffic not good.  I removed it and went back to the stock airbox with snorkels that take air from the front of the engine.  Much better but still coughs at times.  Always wondered if installing pods would make this worse.  I imagine it would so I will probably stay away from that mods (although I would like to giver it a try someday).  

Any pod guys out there experience this issue during slow hot going?

That coughing and sputtering is leanness. I certainly dealt with it on Brad and I's mini Carolina's spine raid. I'd tuned the Mighty Scura in 40 F temps with no alcohol fuel, and it was fine. Hadn't ridden it since. On the trip, the first time I put gasahol in it, it sneezed a couple of times going back out on the highway. It *never* does that. Farther into the trip as it got hotter, it showed a lot of just what you guys are talking about. Didn't like running at low speed at all.

What was the difference? CO trim. I had dropped it 20 points when it was cold and straight gas, and it was fine. Once on the trip, and I was getting 50 mpg (!) I thought, "Uh oh. Sure hope it's not TOO lean." Nothing I could do about it without GuzziDiag. I lived with it for a week, and the first thing I did when I got home is bump the CO trip back up 20 points. Runs perfectly again.

Not been on a bike, but I've walked London a few times in the summer. The congestion is daunting, though they do have some special ways of dealing. The motorbike messengers are plentiful and treacherous!

I'm with Chuck: get guzzidiag up and check your CO fuel trim. So many V11 come set in the negative double digits (way lean). Make sure your air bypass screws and idle setting are adequate. See the "Decent tune-up" for details which include attention to the valve lash.

There is also a, somewhat controversial, modification to the head temperature sensor/ holder that has been tested and proven by a few and discounted, in theory, by others. Worked for me in my high ambient temperature riding environment (90sF/30sC).

Run best quality fuel, zero-ethanol is especially helpful. See also, Understanding Fuel

The Neutral light is another matter and involves the switch on the left of the gearbox behind the starter. You can service the electrical connection, remove and clean the switch actuation, and might consider a gearoil change. Some have found RedLine Shockproof to improve switch (and other) function. I like the lovely blue *lightweight* . . .  :luigi:

Anything goes in London...although theres cameras everywhere so much saner than 20 odd yrs ago when I used to dispatch ride there...

Thanks docc for the suggestions. Is there a post anywhere that explains to a newbie all the service tools required to self maintain our V11s?

From Wiki

London Metro population 2015 13,879,757 peeps, area Metro 3,236 sq mi  we still use the English system of measurement in the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London

Los Angles Metro population 13,131, peeps, area Metro 503 sq mi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles

No wonder my Cousin moved to London many decades ago.

Drivers in Los Angeles suffer from one of the worst rush hour periods in the world, according to an annual traffic index by navigation system maker, TomTom. L.A. drivers spend an additional 92 hours in traffic each year. During the peak rush hour there is 80% congestion, according to the index.[56]

Lane splitting is a wonderful thing. I won't drive a car..