This is a fantasy bike for me...  A Husky 701 with a rally tower.

http://www.nomad-adv.com/husqvarna-701-nomad.html

A stock 701 is a few pounds lighter than a DR650 and will beat it easily in any performance comparison. It's only about 70 pounds heavier than my TE450.

Tim.......Live The Fantasy !

Has anyone actually seen these bikes? They look pretty cool, but dealers are far and few between.

JB - we both live within an hour's ride of Husqvarna USA HQ. There are at least three dealers within an hour of me (cuz I live in motorcycle heaven). I sat drooled on a new 701. I've seen a few on the street (mostly the Supermoto) - but have never seen a rally-modified Enduro in person.

Evidently, we have two Husky dealers in this state, both a couple hours away, both with limited inventory.

Several of us wandered around the new "power sports" dealer in my small town. A sea of quad-things, Suzies, Kawis, and about fifty KTM.

All of the full size ADV bikes seem so unwieldy to me. Word is that there will be a 790 Adventure in the not-too-distant future.

Ok, Ill admit it. I'm old and weak.. but I can't *imagine* taking one of the "adventure bike" things off road. Unwieldy? Uhh that's putting it mildly. If your adventure is putting down to the local Starbux for a Latte..maybe. :)

I put my KTM 950 Adventure up some wretched single track - but I would not want to take it in mud, sand, or deep snow by myself.  There was a KTM 950 Super-Enduro for about two years.  It weighed even less and now is sort a cult-bike, commanding near-new prices.  I rode with a guy a few times who rode his Super Enduro like it was a 250cc 2-stroke.

The new 1090 KTM might be as good as the 950/990 series - they scaled back from the 1190s after the Honda's Africa Twin planted a flag in the 1000cc ADV spot that KTM left open. I think there are true adventure bikes, and there are adventure-styled bikes. Just as there are SUVs that are neither Sporty, nor Utilitarian... just Vehicles.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

My F800GS (30 Years of GS model) on a fire road at Indian Steps.  I got the 800 because I thought the 1200 would be too heavy and bulky, and I'm not going to be doing any serious touring for a decade (single dad), so I didn't need touring capability.  At 392 pounds dry, it's reasonably light.  I've been getting about 52 mpg in mixed riding (city/trail/highway).  I've nothing to compare it with, as I'd never ridden off road before, but I was impressed with how intuitive and confidence inspiring the handling is on the slightly more technical bits.  One drawback is the amount of heat the parallel twin engine throws off: spring and fall it's great; high summer = very sweaty balls. :huh2:  For that reason alone, I'd go with a 1200 or a different brand altogether if I planned on many days of riding in a toasty climate.  And that highlights one of the truly great characteristics of jugs to the sides: cooling.  

IMG_1198 small.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

This is a fantasy bike for me... 

Tim.......Live The Fantasy !

Good Advice. I took this photo this morning on one of the dirt roads up Mount Palomar.

IMG_7523.jpg

Cool bike Tim, let us know how it settles in to the stable.

My Capo is for sale, probably moving and don't have room, I have sorted everything with this bike, it is Japanese reliable: gas and go.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/6501512547.html

Stupid fun is an understatement. After reading so many glowing reviews, I was prepared to be disappointed by my inflated expectations. I wasn't. I don't know if it's a heavy dirt bike, a lightweight adventure bike, or a tall supermoto...  but holy crap it's a way better street bike than it has any right to be. I did 150 miles this morning. All roads I know, but some dirt roads that I haven't been on for a long time. Laughing out loud in my helmet the whole way.

As for the stable...  The BMW K75s is gone now. Sold to a friend's son who is a new rider. I get to teach him to work on the bike - and I made sure he took a full complement of my leftover riding gear. "And don't let me ever see you on it without boots, gloves, jacket, and helmet." Sad to say, but the Greenie needs a new owner soon.

• Like 1

I think it is the same engine as the KTM Duke. I'm going to take it to the Anza Borrego desert next weekend and try it on some more technical terrain (after I put some rugged bar guards on).

My Giant Loop Great Basin saddlebag fits on the 701. So I can ride several hundred miles with luggage, set up camp, and have a no-luggage dirt bike to go exploring in places like Joshua Tree, Death Valley, etc.

As for the "stable", it needs to get smaller so I can wrench less and ride more. I'm thinking 2 street bikes and 2 (street legal) dirt bikes might be a good self-imposed limit. But I am even thinking about selling the Husky TE450 to get down to 3.

• Like 1