Greenie refurb

Gmc28

17 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Ok, but de-pressurising the system before one removes the fuel lines still seems like a good idea to me. B)

Agreed.  Never have before and didn’t need to, but sounds like a good idea.  I was just surprised there was that much residual pressure in the line 24hrs later.  But maybe it shouldn’t a surprise… 

Of course a busted, leaking fuel pump needs replacing .

I would so still *tap* on that regulator to "free it up" with a wake up call . . . :luigi:

Once all hooked back up, maybe cycle the pump repeatedly to flush the return line back through the regulator into the tank.

If the right side of the tank residual fuel has "gelled" maybe a tank flush?

12 hours ago, docc said:

Of course a busted, leaking fuel pump needs replacing .

I would so still *tap* on that regulator to "free it up" with a wake up call . . . :luigi:

Once all hooked back up, maybe cycle the pump repeatedly to flush the return line back through the regulator into the tank.

If the right side of the tank residual fuel has "gelled" maybe a tank flush?

Good thinking.  
But it (tank) was clean and dry for the paint work… so if there’s a smoking gun beyond just an old, bad pump, then my little brain leans toward something related to paint…. Residual tape, or overspray, or that kind of thing. I’m good/careful with that stuff, but last I checked I’m still human, so prone to some error (am still hoping for an android upgrade, like Steve Austin, or Wolverine)

Might just be chasing ghosts, as the pump may be all there is to it.  Will know when the pump shows up next week. Already have a new filter installed now… had a spare for red sitting on shelf.

On 2/10/2024 at 8:07 AM, Gmc28 said:

Lucky phil suggested checking with Stein Dinse, which is what I did.  Found another source or two at similar prices.  Looks like I paid 18 euros for the little bugger, but then a bunch more to ship it.

mine, as shown in earlier pics in this thread, was in ugly shape. 

here’s a screen shot of my order.  They use the term “screw fork”, which seems obscure.  I think steering head nut was the term I used to find it from other sites.

and as phil points out, it’s not chrome, it’s a stainless finish, which is different than stock but much preferred in my opinion. 

IMG_3453.jpeg

G'day mate.

What were the other sources you found if you don't mind?

I contacted Stein Dinse and it's $103 ( Australian ) to get it here.

$37 for the part and $66 in freight!

Mine looks to be chromed as a piece has chipped off it so re-chroming it may be cheaper or I could just live with it as I have since day one.

Cheers  

1 hour ago, guzzler said:

G'day mate.

What were the other sources you found if you don't mind?

I contacted Stein Dinse and it's $103 ( Australian ) to get it here.

$37 for the part and $66 in freight!

Mine looks to be chromed as a piece has chipped off it so re-chroming it may be cheaper or I could just live with it as I have since day one.

Cheers  

Yes like MG cycles and most other foreign sellers you need to have a list of stuff you need and make an order to justify the shipping which has gone through the roof in the last 3 years or so.

• Like 1

I can look for the other source…. But I think the other one was also German, so probably lousy shipping cost options there also.

• Like 1

The beast is alive.  She starts and runs sweet now, and looks nice and tarty….

However, the new/replacement fuel pump works, but is buzzing loudly, so the good folks at MGcycle are sending along another one. 

Now can get that thing off my lift, after way too long, and make room for Red, who needs her annual shop-love. 

In other news, the beloved KTM 990 will go for sale very soon, as its time, and is the opportunity to remove the final Germanic influence from my garage. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This is perhaps old news for some, and it may never be valuable info, but for what its worth, the howling sound that may come from one of these fuel pumps can be good ol’ fashioned cavitation. 

MGcycle sent me a new pump lickety-split, but it was still bothering me why this original new pump they sent me was howling.  Maybe Sucked in some grit stuck, or was it somehow mounted too tight and causing the case to rub on the internals (i knew that wasn’t it), or??  Bottom line is that when i pushed up hard on the main fuel line from the tank to the pump to ease the L-shaped “kink” in the line, the same kink that was there from before all this project started (same hose, same routing), the howling stopped.  Removed line, shortened it and re-routed it slightly, and problem solved. 

So i’ll send this un-used new pump back to them (which they sent me no charge)… with a little egg on my face. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

..ease the L-shaped “kink” in the line, ...problem solved.

So the theory is, it was developing fuel vapour bubbles in the line behind the kink due to the pressure drop from the kink, and these were causing cavitation problems in the pump, right?

Not questioning the concept at all, just trying to make sure I understand it. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, audiomick said:

So the theory is, it was developing fuel vapour bubbles in the line behind the kink due to the pressure drop from the kink, and these were causing cavitation problems in the pump, right?

Not questioning the concept at all, just trying to make sure I understand it. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

sounds about right. 

i'd say just lack of fuel, like with most other pumps which start to howl when they run out of fluid to pump.   however now that you mention it the fact that it ran smooth/quiet when bench tested, dry, means that just running dry isn't the issue, but instead would be a pressure issue, as you've noted.  whether that would be a drop or an increase..... i'd think the flow was decreased and the pressure increased downstream of kink, which is upstream from pump. 

getting into the weeds a bit, but interesting.  I can just confirm that uninterrupted flow  = happy fuel pump.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gmc28 said:

.... i'd think the flow was decreased and the pressure increased downstream of kink, which is upstream from pump.

So the pump is sucking out of a bit of pipe downstream from a restriction (the kink). That means, as far as I understand it, that the pressure must be lower downstream of the restriction than it is upstream there of.

Anyway, as you say, getting into the weeds there a bit. The point that one should take home is that restrictions in the fuel line are not good. :)

I had that on the GTR 1000. I had installed a quick release between the tap on the tank and the inlet to the carbs, and not noticed that the extra length in the line was kinking when the tank went on. The symptoms were exactly like running out of fuel, but only at high revs and high load, i.e. above about 150 km/h on the Autobahn. Slow down again, and it all came good. The kink was causing it to starve of fuel under high demand.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to pull her off the stand and get her out on the road, for a run-in-the-sun down to the local ethanol-free gas station.  Proof of life.

She has a different feel than the Lemans(s), or at least more than I had expected.  She starts, idles, and runs sweet, but is a bit more buzzy at some rpm's (pods/airflow/TBS, etc), and I feel as though she's a lot smaller for my tall-ish body than the Lemans, though I know that's mostly in my head.

Now back to Goldie, to see if I can get her ready for the June 28 MG gathering at John Day, for my Guzzi buddy to ride (i'll be on Red)

Unknown.jpeg

• Like 4