[2001] Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Joe

My 2003 Lemans was somewhat similar to this bike you're looking at; it spent most of it's life as garage candy, or in the case of the PO living room candy,only had 7K kms.

I know it seems disconcerting that the seller doesn't know much about the bike, but that arms you with knowledge to go in with eyes wide open.

I trusted the PO when he told me he had put new tires on it,they did look brand new, the date codes were 17 yrs old when I got the bike home and went over it carefully,so in that respect you're ahead of the game knowing that going into the deal.

I'm not familiar with the tranny recall, what's involved and if the parts are available or unobtanium (Is it an early 6 speed or did earlier V11s have the tonti 5 speed and parts more readily available?).

If that recall work wasn't done at the time,does that mean it's a boat anchor, or just time and $ to make it right?

I've read enough about older recalls with Moto Guzzi to voice this caution,,, I've read of recall work being done and never recorded properly,,,I've also read of claims being made and recorded as recall work being done by unscrupulous dealers who were paid, but the work was never actually done.

I know for the hydraulic valve fiasco, having a knowledgeable tech actually look at the bike, was the only 100% guarantee that the necessary work had been performed.

Have you seen the documentation for the bike? You're up in the right area, if there was anything indicating it came from Moto International originally,it's more likely that a good dealer like Dave Richardson might have chased the owner down to get the warranty work done, or have it properly registered.

You're very lucky that it's local to you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, docc said:

2001, then. Mystery solved! :thumbsup:

And, yes, in the recall range. Pretty sure Piaggio will confirm the work performed .

Docc, I had a 50/50 chance of getting the year right. :doh: 

For the asking price, it’s still a clean bike, recall or not. :2c: 

• Like 2

All V11 have had the 6speeder gearbox from the beginning, 1999.

It is a very good question that if an affected early gearbox still needs those corrections addressed, how could that be done at this stage?
Not just the parts, but the special tools, and the knowledge to perform that "recall" are likely not available at any operating Piaggio dealer. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, docc said:

Okay, try this (originally posted by @footgoose):

http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-piaggio_en.html

I filled out required info. Said no recall campaigns are pending for this vehicle. I assume that means that they have been taken care of? I also assume if it was the original purchaser they would have been easier to notify.  

9 minutes ago, activpop said:

I filled out required info. Said no recall campaigns are pending for this vehicle. I assume that means that they have been taken care of? I also assume if it was the original purchaser they would have been easier to notify.  

Unknown. I filled the form out for my VIN and got the same "no . . . pending" response, but then noticed the " . . . recalls since 2009" disclaimer.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, activpop said:

Pretty sure this was only valid in proximity to the purchase. My original purchase was August 3, 2000. The "Important Recall Notice" I have is dated December 15, 2003.  About a year before, I was telling folks my Sport wasn't shifting right.

I was fortunate to be directed to this forum that has become The World's Foremost Experts on the V11 Moto Guzzi. :mg:  :oldgit: 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• docc changed the title to [2001] Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Just for shits and giggles I took a look at Guzziology to see what Dave Richardson had to say about the recall (In my edition chapter 10 pgs 27-28.

He mentions that not all early 6 speeds were subject to the recall, many early 6 speeds were unaffected?,,,but that out of 50 V11s under their care, the only 2 failures observed were in 2000-2001 bikes. He has a full chart of part numbers, replacements etc etc.

Recalled frame Vins fall within these vin series 

From      ZGUKRxxxxYM112131          ZGUKSxxxx1M111111       ZGUKSxxxx1M211111

To           ZGUKRxxxxYM114639         ZGUKSxxxx1M111147     ZGUKSxxxx1M211162

He mentions that the recall involved updates to the 3-5 and 4-6 engagement dog rings,and also the output shaft with a change to match. He thinks the metal was probably of better quality/hardening and possibly thicker. He also states the upgraded parts can be identified by a groove around the dog's circumference

fwiw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

Just for shits and giggles I took a look at Guzziology to see what Dave Richardson had to say about the recall (In my edition chapter 10 pgs 27-28.

He mentions that not all early 6 speeds were subject to the recall, many early 6 speeds were unaffected?,,,but that out of 50 V11s under their care, the only 2 failures observed were in 2000-2001 bikes. He has a full chart of part numbers, replacements etc etc.

Recalled frame Vins fall within these vin series 

From           ZGUKRxxxxYM112131                                         ZGUKSxxxx1M111111                                        ZGUKSxxxx1M211111

To                ZGUKRxxxxYM114639                                        ZGUKSxxxx1M111147                                       ZGUKSxxxx1M211162

He mentions that the recall involved updates to the 3-5 and 4-6 engagement dog rings,and also the output shaft with a change to match. He thinks the metal was probably of better quality/hardening and possibly thicker. He also states the upgraded parts can be identified by a groove around the dog's circumference

fwiw

This official notice lists these VIN ranges that overlap 2000 and 2001 production:

IMG_8598.jpg

As an aside to the recall discussion, it is interesting to note Richardson's reference to what would be the last VIN of 2000: 114639. Since we know the first VIN of a year is 111111, that indicates 3,529 V11 Sport built in 2000.

Seems I have #1,531 of those 3,529 . . . :mg:

• Thanks 1

Called NHTSA...no info on work performed. Called Aprilia...they have minimal info but guy is digging further. He said he will call Italy to possibly find more. The only campaign info he could find so far is something performed in 2004 and the term "flexible coupling hose" was used. He said he should report back tomorrow.  I think that part is in the tranny, so we'll see.

• Like 1