[2001] Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Joe

I just went to see this bike. Rear tire is 2010, front original, 2004. Has me wondering about who or how this thing was maintained. What do you think a fair price would be? Has oil leaks, cant tell how bad. Doesnt look serious, but what do i know, i just have Ducatis. I'd like this bike,  book vaue is unbelievable.  Reall amazed someone has an 18 year old tire in it. When I messaged him about the bikes condition, he said tires were good.  Haha.

• Thanks 1

This early V11 Sport actually looks quite clean. I like the oval carbon fiber canisters, but would remount them more inboard; replace the front brake master cylinder cap. Is the seat's rear cover included? Pretty basic stuff. Expect "some owner involvement." :nerd::luigi::race:

The actual build date is on the MFG tag on the left side of the headstock. This is not a "2004", but probably either a 2000 or 2001.

The oil leaks are all known issues. Likely the crankcase vent tube, but could get more involved.

Again: " Expect some owner involvement. "

• Like 3

Agree all to what docc said. It's not an '04. It can only be a '00 or '01 so there's a red flag for owner knowledge. And makes me curious about the title. Also the ad wording looks like a copy/paste paragraph from a magazine. Beware. That said, price is a good starting point, not too high. And photos show it a clean bike.

• Like 2

It’s clear the seller is not knowledgeable about his bike, maybe he is selling for someone else or inherited the bike. All that said, IF it’s the same bike as in the photos in person, than it may be some type of time capsule bike. Lived in a garage for years, low mileage etc. Still a worthy bike to buy, but will need all new fluids, tires, battery to get it going. Next like Docc eluded to is once you start using a idle bike stuff will break or have issues. 

Technically, the bike I bought this year went down the same path, frustrating at times, definitely cost some money for parts & repair. But once sorted it’s a brilliant bike worthy of all the time and effort.

• Like 2

As Footgoose eluded to ...The title , correct year and ownership is the FIRST issue to verify...otherwise the rest is irrelevant....

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys, all good info. The tell tale sign for me with probably so so maintainance was the tires, easy basic stuff to change. How anybody could say they have ridden a bike, although not too often, on tires with a combined age of 40 years is beyond me. What's with the foam pad on the top of the tank? It is intact, but looks old and dry. I never saw a feature like that. I didn't even take it for a spin...temps in the 40's with wet streets on somebody elses bike with those tires was a no no for me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, activpop said:

Thanks for the replies guys, all good info. The tell tale sign for me with probably so so maintainance was the tires, easy basic stuff to change. How anybody could say they have ridden a bike, although not too often, on tires with a combined age of 40 years is beyond me. What's with the foam pad on the top of the tank? It is intact, but looks old and dry. I never saw a feature like that. I didn't even take it for a spin...temps in the 40's with wet streets on somebody elses bike with those tires was a no no for me. 

The tank chin pad is a design homage to the foam pads on early racers, used to "chin the tank" to get out of the airstream. I found the rubber chin pad on the V11 Sport responds brilliantly to Shin Etsu grease. (I am amazed, actually, at how it restored my original pad that had gotten quite weary.)

@activpop, a stroll through the design origins of the V11 Sport might be entertaining for you (especially if it's still 40º there!) . . .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK, I have VIN and will need to check out tranny recall since the opinion is this is not a 2004 as advertised and maybe a 2000 or 2001. The last seven digits are M113182. I think that falls in the range of the recall if i am reading all the info and numbers right. Can anyone confirm that for me? Does that confirm that this is not a 2004?

6 hours ago, activpop said:

OK, I have VIN and will need to check out tranny recall since the opinion is this is not a 2004 as advertised and maybe a 2000 or 2001. The last seven digits are M113182. I think that falls in the range of the recall if i am reading all the info and numbers right. Can anyone confirm that for me? Does that confirm that this is not a 2004?

Tenth digit is the model year . . .

Find the recall notice and serial number range here, from YM111929 (October 1999) to 1M114435 (April 2001) :

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, activpop said:

2001, then. Mystery solved! :thumbsup:

And, yes, in the recall range. Pretty sure Piaggio will confirm the work performed .