Andreani upgrades for V11 OEM Marzocchi forks

2 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

Thanks @GuzziMoto My bike is an early 2003. It's been some time since I rebuilt my forks, I can't remember if they had the holes or not. I sort of think they weren't supposed to be on my year, but can't really remember.

The Marzocchi cartridges that are currently sold on Andreani, I don't believe are the same as mine.

I'm not opposed to breaking my forks back down, and welding up the hole, but I hate having to break them down, just to confirm if I have the holes at all. I guess I've got another project.

If your bike has 43mm dia sliders and a hollow 25mm axle the Andreanis won't fit. The V11 Sport/Le mans series has 3 types of forks fitted apart from the Ohlins. All Marzocchi. The original 40mm on the first bikes which were silver and had a standard hex nut on the 20mm solid axle and an internal index for the cartridge at the inner base of the axle clamp/brake calliper support. No one makes carts for these. Then there was the next generation of 40mm forks with the flat inner base mount for the carts and black legs with the 20mm solid heavy axle and an integral thread in the left fork leg for the axle to thread into. Some of these were also made in silver legs from memory as well. Andreani make carts for these. First and second gen forks have adjustable rebound and comp on opposing legs, no preload adjustment. Then came at around 2003 the 43mm forks with the hollow 25mm axle, black stanchions, separate axle nut again and adjustable spring preload and rebound damping only on both legs and a different fork cap thread dia and pitch. Andreani carts don't fit these even if they advertise they do. All 3 versions have 54mm OD stanchions so all three fit all types of triple clamp the range cam with during it's 6 year model life. 

Then there was the 3 different fork clamps used but that's been covered already.

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

...Then came at around 2003 the 43mm forks with the hollow 25mm axle, black stanchions, separate axle nut again and adjustable spring preload and rebound damping only on both legs...

I'm not sure about the hollow axle, but that sounds like the forks on my 2002 Le Mans. Long tank, no chin-pad. Crinkly (flaky) engine paint, long frame.

7 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I'm not sure about the hollow axle, but that sounds like the forks on my 2002 Le Mans. Long tank, no chin-pad. Crinkley (flakey) engine paint, long frame.

I think you'll find Mick it has 40mm forks.

Phil

2 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I think you'll find Mick it has 40mm forks.

Phil

I'm pretty sure, but not completely, that it doesn't. I measured them, and remember being pleased to have the fat ones.

And it definitely has the same adjusters on both legs, i.e. preload and rebound damping.

3 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I'm pretty sure, but not completely, that it doesn't. I measured them, and remember being pleased to have the fat ones.

And it definitely has the same adjusters on both legs, i.e. preload and rebound damping.

Ok then it's Italian cross over stuff, model designation or it's been fitted with the later forks at some point. See the 2002 and 2003 bikes in  Reddit parked side by side. Different forks.

Phil

• Like 2

I went down and had a look, and checked the papers again.

The tenth digit in the VIN is "2", so built in 2002 according to the collected wisdom here.

The front axle is hollow, and has a fastening nut on the outboard side of the left leg.

And this

17 minutes ago, docc said:

Yet, fork adjustments are only "compression (C) and rebound (R). No "preload." that has to be performed with the spring spacers internally.

is not the case. The fork adjustment is as described here on page 482 according to the document viewer. The page number printed on the page is section R page 20

https://guzzitek.org/gb/ma_us_uk/1100/V11_1999-2003_Atelier(Compil-GB-D-NL).pdf

The motorcycle is equipped with a hydraulic telescopic fork with separate adjustment of shock-absorbers during rebound and spring preload.
Vehicle attitude setting: each fork leg has an upper screw “A” for adjusting hydraulic braking during rebound and an upper nut “B” for adjusting spring preload

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, audiomick said:

The motorcycle is equipped with a hydraulic telescopic fork with separate adjustment of shock-absorbers during rebound and spring preload.
Vehicle attitude setting: each fork leg has an upper screw “A” for adjusting hydraulic braking during rebound and an upper nut “B” for adjusting spring preload

So the compression damping adjustment was eliminated on these forks?

[ I should not have commented at all and will take my uninformed post down. ]

46 minutes ago, docc said:

So the compression damping adjustment was eliminated on these forks?

Yes.

I would prefer to have adjustable compression damping as well, but there are so many bikes that only have rebound damping. :huh2:

It occurs to me that one could experiment with different grades of fork oil with the focus on compression damping, and then adjust the rebound damping to suit. My logic says that this would work, but I'm not a suspension expert. And that is a fair way down the list. The handling is ok to be going on with, and I have a few other things to sort out first. First up is getting the 2,800 r.p.m. cough and splutter sorted. Then there are a shift spring and a shift extender to install, and a soon to arrive Roper Surge Plate to install. And riding it occasionally wouldn't be bad either. B)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, audiomick said:

I went down and had a look, and checked the papers again.

The tenth digit in the VIN is "2", so built in 2002 according to the collected wisdom here.

The front axle is hollow, and has a fastening nut on the outboard side of the left leg.

And this

is not the case. The fork adjustment is as described here on page 482 according to the document viewer. The page number printed on the page is section R page 20

https://guzzitek.org/gb/ma_us_uk/1100/V11_1999-2003_Atelier(Compil-GB-D-NL).pdf

What month of 2002 was your bike manufactured Mick. All the 2002 crinkle finish bikes I've seen on the internet have the 40mmm forks.

Phil

The easy way to tell the difference between them is the top of the fork cap . The silver only cap is the larger fork assy. Uhhh , better yet , can you post a pic of the top of the forks ? You want to be sure,

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 7:12 AM, Lucky Phil said:

What month of 2002 was your bike manufactured...

Dunno, mate. The VIN is ZGUKTA0102M111xxx, if that tells you anything.

On 2/16/2024 at 10:20 AM, gstallons said:

...post a pic of the top of the forks ? You want to be sure,

Here you go. The left one is the same as the right-hand one visible in the picture:

large.21-RamMount.jpg

Mine are different . They are the early style. My red frame and black frame have the early style. IDK which are the larger tubes. I am away from the shop so I can't measure them

• Like 1