10 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

I would love to see FQ at Aprilia

I was watching the YouTube debriefs today, those made by journalists which are present at the events.

Fabio Quartararo has an offer from Aprilia; answering questions, he said he will make his decision before the mid-season.

He most likely is going to make less money at Aprilia than he would if he stayed in Yamaha. Now Enea Bastianini is also being penciled to move to Aprilia. It is unlikely that both Maverick Viñales and Aleix Espargaro would both move.

Yamaha's test day was cut short because of the rainy weather. Bad luck!

10 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

Seems the trans was having issues most of the race, and finally packed it in at the end.

Yes, confirmed. From the 7th or 8th lap, Maverick had issue with the 6th gear. He had to make multiple attempts to get it in, until the last lap when it failed for good, and he found himself idle in a turn.

This is beginning to feel more and more like Formula 1 now with drivers bouncing between constructors trying to find that elusive combination of mechanical advantage and good voodoo to win.  I just hope we see Marquez on the podium a few times this year and even more hopefully Acosta on top in a few races as well.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

This is beginning to feel more and more like Formula 1 now with drivers bouncing between constructors trying to find that elusive combination of mechanical advantage and good voodoo to win.  I just hope we see Marquez on the podium a few times this year and even more hopefully Acosta on top in a few races as well.

I do not know if it smells like F1, as I lost interest after Senna, Prost, Piquet, Mansell, Lauda retired.

Ducati is most likely going to lose a team next season. Minimum. VR46 may go to Yamaha, which may influence Fabio's decision to remain in place.

Pramac's contract with Ducati is also up at the end of this season, but honestly, I don't see them switching.

While we don't know what Marquez wants to do, Jorge Martin has been adamant that next season, he will be on a factory bike. Which one?

For Pedro Acosta, he needs to win a MotoGP before the German Grand-Prix to beat Marquez as the youngest ever winner. Even if he said that he is not looking at keeping scores, I am certain that he is very well aware of that opportunity. There is also no uncertainty that he will be in the factory team next year.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

I do not know if it smells like F1, as I lost interest after Senna, Prost, Piquet, Mansell, Lauda retired.

Ducati is most likely going to lose a team next season. Minimum. VR46 may go to Yamaha, which may influence Fabio's decision to remain in place.

Pramac's contract with Ducati is also up at the end of this season, but honestly, I don't see them switching.

While we don't know what Marquez wants to do, Jorge Martin has been adamant that next season, he will be on a factory bike. Which one?

For Pedro Acosta, he needs to win a MotoGP before the German Grand-Prix to beat Marquez as the youngest ever winner. Even if he said that he is not looking at keeping scores, I am certain that he is very well aware of that opportunity. There is also no uncertainty that he will be in the factory team next year.

I am not sure Ducati will loose a team for next season, but it is a possibility. Hard to imagine any team would sign up to run Yamaha's at the back of the field, though. Sponsors would hate that and would likely bail. I can't imagine why any team would sign up to run Honda's or Yamaha's until they get their act together. MotoGP is a business based on winning. Why would any team want to give up bikes they can win on in exchange for bikes they can't.

As to the guys who want factory bikes, as mentioned I think that is a mistake. Being on a "Factory Bike" has very little meaning nowadays. And it is not required to win races or a championship. The chemistry of the team, and between the rider and the bike, is far more important. Martin could end up on a factory Yamaha next year. If he does go there he won't really be a factor next year in the results, but he would be on a factory bike. I would rather be on a competitive bike with a team that knows how to set up the bike to suit me. Being at the back on a "Factory Bike" would not be what I would want (although to be fair I would happily ride a factory Yamaha or Honda at the back). But if you are a top level racer expecting to win I would think all you should be concerned with is being on a bike that can win. That it is a factory bike really doesn't matter. Or shouldn't matter if winning is what you are concerned with. Some of them seem to still have an ego trip about a "Factory Bike".

• Like 1

I stayed off the forum the last few days as I didn't watch the GP until last night, and didn't want a spoiler. Wow, fantastic race, and that track! I really like the drastic elevation changes and long straight for 200mph+ speeds.

As you know #33BB is my guy and of all the riders this past weekend, he was the biggest winner! Not the fastest, but in the hunt, then the crashes, inherits fourth place, and suddenly second in the championship. Whew!

One other thing, can someone explain to me, the KTM vs GasGas livery? So Pedro is on a KTM, but with GasGas paint? why?

That's as bad as putting a Chevy in a Ford.

2 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

One other thing, can someone explain to me, the KTM vs GasGas livery? So Pedro is on a KTM, but with GasGas paint? why?

That's as bad as putting a Chevy in a Ford.

KTM owns GasGas and Husqvarna. So instead of running two teams as KTM they run one team as KTM and one team as GasGas. They wanted a third team so they could run a Husqvarna team as well, but Dorna would not allow them a new team. They were told they can only have a third team if one of the current teams signs up to run their bikes. Weird that a manufacturer who wanted to add another team to the grid was told no. Seems like it would have been good for the sport, and would have helped balance out the four teams running Ducati's.

If you buy a brand new GasGas today, it is almost identical to a KTM, so it is more like buying a Lincoln instead of a Ford. We have a pair of Husqvarna's, very simlar deal there. The chassis and engine are KTM pieces, the body work is Husqvarna. The same thing happens in dirtbike racing. KTM, GasGas, and Husqvarna all race basically the same bikes. But it does mean more factory bikes with factory support. So it makes the grid stronger, with more quality bikes for more quality riders.

• Like 3

Thanks @GuzziMoto I follow MX and SX, never miss a race, so I am familiar with the brand partnerships. Justin Barcia's GasGas is actually a GG, and not a KTM, regardless of how many shared parts.

With Pedro's MotoGP bike, I was made to understand it is not GasGas at all, 100% KTM. 

8 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

I am not sure Ducati will loose a team for next season, but it is a possibility. Hard to imagine any team would sign up to run Yamaha's at the back of the field, though. Sponsors would hate that and would likely bail. I can't imagine why any team would sign up to run Honda's or Yamaha's until they get their act together. MotoGP is a business based on winning. Why would any team want to give up bikes they can win on in exchange for bikes they can't.

After signing Bagnaia for the next two years, Ducati mentioned there were going to make some budget cuts and financial adjustments. While Uccio said he is all for renewing with Ducati, they may not have the budget to meet Ducati's demand. That Valentino Rossi is the official ambassador of Yamaha Racing Team may also influence the decision.

Pramac's contract is up too. Less likely to change horse, but who knows.

Honda already has LCR as their second team. It is mainly Yamaha how really needs another garage.

4 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

KTM owns GasGas and Husqvarna.

And MV Agusta... they have recently become the majority shareholder of the brand.

14 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

Thanks @GuzziMoto I follow MX and SX, never miss a race, so I am familiar with the brand partnerships. Justin Barcia's GasGas is actually a GG, and not a KTM, regardless of how many shared parts.

With Pedro's MotoGP bike, I was made to understand it is not GasGas at all, 100% KTM. 

If you say so. But the only GasGas parts on Barcia's factory GasGas is the bodywork. The frame, engine, KTM. Not sure how it is this year, but in the past the Husqvarna factory bikes were last years factory KTMs. Now that they have three factory teams I assume they no longer do that, but all three factory teams are running the same bikes with different bodywork. I was just in our local KTM / GasGas / Husqvarna dealership. It is classic badge engineering. They are all KTM's, with pretty much only the bodywork being brand specific. That is even more the case in racing, whether it is Supercross or MotoGP.

Don't get me wrong, we own a pair of Husqvarna's, and I would buy another. But the three brands are all really the same brand. GasGas is not its own standalone brand.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, p6x said:

After signing Bagnaia for the next two years, Ducati mentioned there were going to make some budget cuts and financial adjustments. While Uccio said he is all for renewing with Ducati, they may not have the budget to meet Ducati's demand. That Valentino Rossi is the official ambassador of Yamaha Racing Team may also influence the decision.

Pramac's contract is up too. Less likely to change horse, but who knows.

Honda already has LCR as their second team. It is mainly Yamaha how really needs another garage.

LCR's contract is up and I would be surprised if LCR resigns with Honda. I would think Honda would have to give them bikes for free, and even then I would be disappointed in LCR as re-signing with Honda is saying they are racing to race. If they sign with Honda again they would be saying they are just here for the money. 

Yamaha is not much better then Honda right now, but they are better. But neither brand is competitive. I get the factory teams running Honda and Yamaha, they have no choice. But a team that signs with Honda or Yamaha right now is a team that isn't racing for the right reasons. I would be very disappointed to hear that the VR46 team just wants to be a grid filler.

43 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

LCR's contract is up and I would be surprised if LCR resigns with Honda.

This came up in the MotoGP debriefs that I watched, and the journalist who's the main expert during those videos said that LCR will remain with Honda.

I think Lucio Cechinello has a personal commitment to Honda, but of course, anything is possible.

Ducati has eight machines on the grid. I think we can agree that it is not exactly what most people want, including spectators. Besides the obvious, it is also probably heavy on the finance side, and Ducati did say they were going to look at expenses now that they became the machines to beat. VR46 expressed their intention to stay with Ducati, but if they cannot meet Ducati's stipulations, then they may need to look elsewhere. Yamaha is desperate to get another team, but KTM too.

But rather than machinery, I am really wondering about Marquez and Martin.

Marquez is not looking for a cushy finance deal, but for a way to add one more world championship to his roster. This would make him much more suitable for the Ducati Factory team, if Enea Bastianini was let go. Jorge Martin is said to be looking for a much better paycheck, and Ducati has clearly said that when you ride one of their machine, the main perk, is you have the best machine; it comes at a price.

As it stands, I could even see Martin moving to Yamaha to replace Quartararo if he is going to leave. Quartararo got a very substantial offer from Yamaha to stay. Martin's main interest is to move to a factory team. Would he accept to give up the best machine for a work in progress? I don't see KTM being interested in him, with what Pedro Acosta has shown, Brad Binder's performance, they are set. Unless they get another team?

With the dirt bikes, I understood Husky/KTM frames were different, one being aluminum, the other steel. Also rear shock linkage is completely different.

1 hour ago, LaGrasta said:

With the dirt bikes, I understood Husky/KTM frames were different, one being aluminum, the other steel. Also rear shock linkage is completely different.

KTM and Husqvarna run steel frames. The exact same steel frames. Our Husqvarna 401 have the exact same steel trellis frames used on the KTM 390's. 

If you compare the KTM 250 SX-F it has a WP XACT-USD 48mm front fork and a WP XACT Monoshock with linkage rear suspension. The Gas Gas MC 250F Factory Edition has a WP XACT-USD 48mm front fork and a WP XACT Monoshock with linkage rear suspension. For a while KTM was pushing forward with a linkage-less rear suspension. But at some point they stopped that and now run the same as Gas Gas and Husqvarna as far as I can tell. Really, look at them in a showroom and see if you can find any differences. Again, not complaining, but saying they are different bikes is stretching the truth. The bodywork is pretty much the only difference. The same is true for the 450's, and for Husqvarna.

With their streetbikes they do tend to use different numbers to describe the displacement, like a Husqvarna 401 vs a KTM 390. But the motor is exactly the same motor with the exact same displacement. Same thing with the bigger motors, a KTM migt be a 690 while a Husqvarna is a 701. And a Gas Gas is a 700. But they are all the same motor with the same actual displacement.

• Like 1