This most recent race in the UK, at Silverstone, Marc didn't do so well. But he seemed up beat about how the weekend went.

Bigger news was how well Aprilia did, including Aleix. All four Apes in the top 10, and three of four in the top five. Was great to see Oliveira have a good weekend. I have high hopes for him an the Aprilia.

• 1 month later...

It has been quiet around here about this. But the rumors have been flying about it.

Marc was looking real good in Friday practice at the new track in India. Both factory Hondas get to go straight to Q2, When was the last time that happened? Meanwhile rumors are that Marc has decided to leave Honda for Gresini Ducati. I don't know if that is true, I am skeptical. But it will be interesting to see what the truth is. I tend to think he will stay at Honda for the last year of his contract, then leave if Honda is still the worst bike on the grid (or one of the two worst, along with Yamaha). 

Side note, Aprilia is looking good at the Buddh circuit in India.

• Like 1
On 9/22/2023 at 10:06 AM, GuzziMoto said:

It has been quiet around here about this. But the rumors have been flying about it.

Marc was looking real good in Friday practice at the new track in India. Both factory Hondas get to go straight to Q2, When was the last time that happened? Meanwhile rumors are that Marc has decided to leave Honda for Gresini Ducati. I don't know if that is true, I am skeptical. But it will be interesting to see what the truth is. I tend to think he will stay at Honda for the last year of his contract, then leave if Honda is still the worst bike on the grid (or one of the two worst, along with Yamaha). 

Side note, Aprilia is looking good at the Buddh circuit in India.

It is more than a rumor at this point.

Ducati has confirmed that Marquez riding for Gresini is a valid possibility, since unlike Pramac, Ducati has no say in which pilot Gresini can recruit.

However, I am hopeful Marquez is only doing this to stir up Honda. First, the last thing we want is to have all the best pilots on Ducati machinery.

Second, Honda never let Marquez down, even when he injured himself and he could not ride, and even made the decision to come back too early, sending him back to the hospital. They kept paying him as if he was racing.

Ducati has already Bagnaia, Bezzecchi, Martin.... Bassanini seems to have toned down for some reason. They don't need Marquez.

Marquez said that he would tell either in India or Japan, but has now said more likely after Japan.

So the suspense remain.

Meanwhile Jake Gagné won his third Moto America Superbike in a row. He should get a chance to compete in WSBK?

14 hours ago, p6x said:

It is more than a rumor at this point.

Ducati has confirmed that Marquez riding for Gresini is a valid possibility, since unlike Pramac, Ducati has no say in which pilot Gresini can recruit.

However, I am hopeful Marquez is only doing this to stir up Honda. First, the last thing we want is to have all the best pilots on Ducati machinery.

Second, Honda never let Marquez down, even when he injured himself and he could not ride, and even made the decision to come back too early, sending him back to the hospital. They kept paying him as if he was racing.

Ducati has already Bagnaia, Bezzecchi, Martin.... Bassanini seems to have toned down for some reason. They don't need Marquez.

Marquez said that he would tell either in India or Japan, but has now said more likely after Japan.

So the suspense remain.

Meanwhile Jake Gagné won his third Moto America Superbike in a row. He should get a chance to compete in WSBK?

Not sure it is more than a rumor at this point. It is a serious rumor and it may pan out to be true, but so far it is still a rumor. All Ducati said is they hear what we all hear, but they have no say it Gresini's rider choice. But they did say Gresini should get the best rider they can. Many are taking that to be an endorsement of Marc going to Gresini. But I suspect whether or not Marc leaves Honda has more to do with whether or not he ends up at Gresini. If he leaves Honda Gresini is about the only place he CAN go. But if he can't or won't leave Honda he obviously won't be at Gresini.

I too hope Marc stays at Honda. They did show him a massive amount of loyalty, but to be fair what else were they going to do. They did not have anyone else that had the talent he has. Although even he doesn't seem to have the talent he used to have. The Honda is off from the sharp end of the field, but it is not that far off. People seem to think Honda needs to re-invent the wheel, but this past weekend showed that Honda is a small amount off, and a different track, tire choice, or set up,  can put them back in competition. Not just with Marc, but with Joan Mir.

Jake is killing it, but Cam hurting himself helped. I think next year, with Cam being healthy and better adapted to the BMW will be interesting. I don't think it will be as easy for Jake next year.

I watch all of MotoGP on Sling, CNBC (news channel, I know, strange). It's only an additional $6 on my Sling package. For some reason, IndiaGP didn't air, or record or something, so frustrating! I only watched highlights on youtube. Looked like a  good race and my fave, #33BB did a great job again!

58 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

I watch all of MotoGP on Sling, CNBC (news channel, I know, strange). It's only an additional $6 on my Sling package. For some reason, IndiaGP didn't air, or record or something, so frustrating! I only watched highlights on youtube. Looked like a  good race and my fave, #33BB did a great job again!

Yeah, Binder had his best lap in qualifying interrupted by a yellow flag. That put him further back on the grid. But he still did a good job making his way forward.

• Like 1

It is now official;

The HRC has announced that Marc Marquez will be leaving at the end of the 2023 season.

Remains now to get Ducati and Gresini's declaration confirming his arrival for 2024.

This finally ends the rumors that have been going on for the last few months.

Now there are many more new gossip in the making: Honda may have contacted Maverick Viñales to replace Marc Marquez at the HRC, when Maverick is still under contract with Aprilia. To put some more spices, some are also seeing Quartararo leaving Yamaha to replace Maverick, if.....

Let's see what happens next.

Jake Gagné will come to MotoGP?

I think Zarco will move up from LCR to HRC next year, and Lacuona will move from WSBK back to MotoGP to ride the LCR bike Zarco was going to ride.

I would love for Vinales to go to Honda, that would free up a spot on an Aprilia for someone else. While Vinales will always have those occasional great races where he does amazingly well, all to often he struggles in the races. I would be happy to see his seat go to someone else with more consistent talent. I think Quartararo would do well on the Ape.

It will be interesting to see how Marc Marquez does on the Ducati. I don't think he is the all conquering racer he once was. But he clearly still has talent.

On 9/27/2023 at 11:06 AM, LaGrasta said:

it was OTA on NBC.  

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

I think Zarco will move up from LCR to HRC next year, and Lacuona will move from WSBK back to MotoGP to ride the LCR bike Zarco was going to ride.

I would love for Vinales to go to Honda, that would free up a spot on an Aprilia for someone else. While Vinales will always have those occasional great races where he does amazingly well, all to often he struggles in the races. I would be happy to see his seat go to someone else with more consistent talent. I think Quartararo would do well on the Ape.

It will be interesting to see how Marc Marquez does on the Ducati. I don't think he is the all conquering racer he once was. But he clearly still has talent.

There are talks about Miguel Oliveira moving to the HRC spot left free; Zarco is the obvious choice with Iker Lecuona substituting him at LCR.

Now, remember that Fabio DiGiannantonio is also available.

How will Marc Marquez do? remember that each and every HRC RSV were developed around Marc Marquez preferences; not me saying it, but Dani Pedrosa after he left the HRC. Obviously, the Ducati is more "one size fits all". Given Marquez natural talent, I have no doubt he will be up there with the best. In any case, Marc's motivation is no secret. He wants to win at least one more world champion title to equal Rossi's.

What we don't know, is who is leaving Honda to relocate with Marc... the Marquez' team is a tight knit group for whom Marc obtained top salaries at Honda. Those people will not get the same money at a private team.

I have another question; Repsol main HRC sponsor is the national Spanish oil and gas company. Are they going to stay at Honda, or leave with Marc?

50 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

both Marquez on the same team?  

Yes. That Alex did pretty well on the Ducati straight out of Honda is a clear indication of the expected Marc potential on that Ducati.

• Like 1

No doubt Fabio Di Giannantonio would like a spot in all this shuffling. He may have to settle for going to WSBK.

I think the old Marc Marquez would be a serious threat on the current Ducati. Not sure how well the current Marc Marquez will do on it. I suspect he will do well, but I am not confident he will win the title on it. It could happen, but it is not highly likely in my book, just possible. I think the winner in all this is the fans.

12 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

No doubt Fabio Di Giannantonio would like a spot in all this shuffling. He may have to settle for going to WSBK.

I think the old Marc Marquez would be a serious threat on the current Ducati. Not sure how well the current Marc Marquez will do on it. I suspect he will do well, but I am not confident he will win the title on it. It could happen, but it is not highly likely in my book, just possible. I think the winner in all this is the fans.

Marc will obviously face some fierce competition; I don't know who is going to win this year's championship, but it is pretty much going to be a Ducati. Bagnaia, Martin, Bezzecchi, Bastianini are still going to be around next year. Not withstanding Luca Marini, Alex Marquez and of course Morbidelli joining the pack too.

Difficult to guess what is going to happen. I would have preferred Marc to move to KTM rather than Ducati.

Maybe the confirmed Marquez move will help KTM to add one more team in 2024, something Dorna has so far denied them to do.

Details are trickling in about Marquez' decision to leave Honda;

First, Repsol will continue to fulfill their contract with Honda until it expires at the end of the 2024 season.

Second, and that is probably what may affect Marc Marquez the most as he may not be able to keep his all time crew chief Santi Hernandez with him at his next post. This needs to be confirmed though, as I am sure Marc is trying hard to get the best support he can. Same goes for most of his actual team. This is said to be coming from Ducati's top management. They know that Marc's move to Gresini with a one year contract is only a stopgap measure. The rumor being that his final destination will probably happen in 2025, at KTM. Thus, Ducati does not want to educate anyone around Marc that will only be at Gresini for an interim job.

Speaking of KTM, decision came, and Pol Espargaro will leave his GasGas KTM to Pedro Acosta in 2024, and be demoted to wild cards and substitute in case of main pilot injury.

Some pundits looking at 2025 are seeing KTM Factory team with Brad Binder and Marc Marquez as it is expected that Jack Miller will possibly retire.

Anyway, we have still not read any official announcement from Ducati Gresini so far. Probably because of the Marquez entourage situation.

Jorge Lorenzo said that Marc will be competitive to win the World Champion title in 2024 without a doubt. Considering that Marc is driven by his VR46 obsession, I would say that I would not be surprised if he did, even considering the quality of the other pilots.

Last but not least, remains for Honda to find a suitable replacement to Marc Marquez. Zarco being the de facto choice, but they are looking around as Fabio DiGiannantonio could easily move to Zarco's spot in LCR if Zarco was to be upgraded to factory team.