There was once a little gem that few of us knows about: the TT650 Baja;

p6x

I was reading a comparison between three motorcycles in one a magazine, the "mid-size" adventure bikes, between the BMW F750 GS, CFMOTO 800 MT touring, and the Moto Guzzi V85TT.

The Moto Guzzi V85TT comes on top in every department by the way... but that is not what this is about. In the presentation, the journalist stated the V85TT was an honorable worthy creation originating all the way from the Moto Guzzi TT650 Baja!!!

This brought back a vague remembrance. But I did not recall anything specific about this model, which, according to what I read, was very successful.

If you scrub YouTube, you don't find much about it. More questions than answers. Apparently the TT650 Baja spawned from the Paris-Dakar.

Who here knew about this obscure model?

Moto Guzzi TT650 Baja

• Like 1

Very rare models on these shores.

There was a low mileage TT650 for sale in south western Ontario 1-2 yrs ago,if it had been close to me I would've bought it,but long distance was an obstacle I wasn't willing to deal with.

I don't recall if it was a Baja model or not,the body & plastics on it were white,it looked identical to the one in the top photo of the brochure you posted.

I reckon I've read something about the Baja model somewhere, but can't remember much of it. I believe it was intended and/or used in a Paris-Daker attempt without all that much success.

This site is not 100% reliable, but here are entries for the TT and the Baja. The text is the same for both, and appears to relate to the TT rather than the Baja. There are, however, two photos on the Baja page that are visibly different to the standard TT.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/moto guzzi/moto_guzzi_v65tt 84.htm

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/moto guzzi/moto_guzzi_v65tt_baja 84.htm

Following the TT, there was also the NTX 650 and NTX 750. I gather that they were both better than the TT in a number of respects, but don't know the details.

• Thanks 1

Thanks docc. I've seen those picture somewhere before, I think.

Here is what deepl.com reckons the text means:

Claudio Torri at the 1985 Paris Dakar, as you can read from newspaper articles of the time the bike is MotoGuzzi
Clipping-1985
as standard, modifying only the exhaust and the tank made by Acerbis in aluminium for the occasion.
Claudio Torri saw his dream of making it to the Dakar fade away because his battery went to pieces forcing him to retire.
We must remember that on that occasion he financed himself, contributing to the payment of the bike and the registration for the race by participating without even having a mechanic in tow, thus providing for the maintenance of the bike himself after each stage.

Fun fact: in addition to Torri's official bike, another 15 red Baja bikes were produced, requested by the French importer,
while a replica built by Moto Guzzi mechanics expert in replicas has been roaming the streets of Mandello for a few years now.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Funny co incidence that this thread  is running and then his bike shows up for sale

https://www.leboncoin.fr/offre/motos/2370559273

It's the same bike as on the short youtube video but the original "silencer" has been replaced.

That's the third of the 17 Baja's made that I've seen up for sale over a span of 15 or so years and each time the price goes down which in some ways surprises me due to the rarity of them.But as one friend says , they are basically very tall smallblocs !

I'm unsure of the final drive ratio as the whole rear end UJ downwards is big bloc...the rest being a 500 ratio gearbox mated to a 650 engine.As far as I know no special tuning either.This one looks as if it has the standard plastic NTX tank on it...some of the baja's had hand beaten very large capacity aluminum ones.

• Like 1

I looked at the add, and as ever, only two photos for a vintage motorcycle, minimum narrative too. 1000 km since 1986; 6500 EUR ask price.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...