1998 EV ...new to me

al_roethlisberger

On 4/15/2023 at 7:37 AM, Chuck said:

And.. it's flying the Ukrainian flag on the tank. :thumbsup: Did you get it from Shelby?

Yeah, the fella I bought if from had little Ukranian flags on all his bikes, just blue and yellow strips of electrical tape in actuality though ;)

Not from Shelby, NC, if that's what you were asking.  The previous owner was up in the north of Raleigh, about 40 minutes away from me here in Sanford.

He had the bike on Facebook Marketplace, and I think posted to the MGNOC group on FB.  I think that's how I ran across it.

• Like 1

Shin Etsu grease (has a Honda part #) for rubber.

Shin Etsu is to rubber as Caig DeOxit gold is to electrons. :grin: Expensive and worth every penny. Have I told you how DeOxit just repaired my "too expensive to fix" Miller TIG welder? Or 2 or 3 years ago, my "too expensive to fix" Generac whole house generator?

Here's what happened to cause the "twin throttle cable" recall. The throttle bodies just hang on the heads via the rubber gizmos. (technical term) The balance rod for them is very close to the air box. A backfire can cause one of the throttle bodies to move aft, and the balance rod *will* hang up on the air box. If the throttle is open at the time, the driver can't close it. :o Rather than making a solid mount for the throttle bodies, the cheap (Guzzi content) way to fix that problem was to add the closing cable.

I know for a fact that John Lloyd, (RIP) good guy, met his maker in just that manner. Anyone with a 98EV needs to keep an eye on this issue in their pre ride inspection.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Rear "HD" turn signals.  You can see where the previous owner chopped off the rotten OEM stalks, and used the special clip-in/bolt-on base to mount the replacement signals.  Even these bases are starting to disintegrate though, so I'll probably have to come up with some sort of new adapter or somehow use the internal metal of the OEM to make it work.  We'll see over time.

IMG_7388.jpg

IMG_7411.jpg

Even though my EV has been garaged unless being ridden or on trips, all of my turn signals went south relatively early on.  And, of course, with 107K miles, such is not unexpected.

I used popsicle sticks as splints, black vinyl tape to cover those, and caple ties for additional support.  Pretty lame, but, hey, they worked and only looked half-, not all-, bad.  :grin:

Then, the (Great) Wayne Orwig, Guzzi Guru Extraordinaire, sent me these:

i-VcNfnC8-L.jpg

Made those on his 3D printer.  Pretty high end -- as is all of Wayne's work, and even come with a period Guzzi eagle. :notworthy:

Haven't installed them yet, but look forward to doing that soon.

On an unrelated note, found that lost pic of HRH, Al, Lord Roethlisberger, at that moto-gathering this past Saturday in Cartage, N.C..  :mg:

i-NCjWHK5-L.jpg

Off to home at the top of Virginia later this morning.  Even tho I'll be on back roads where traffic is slower, I'll still be cursed by many for my Grapes of Wrath rig.  The mighty four of the 2009 Honda Fit -- with 270K+ miles! -- can only do so much when towing.  :whistle:

i-86fWDWQ-L.jpg

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Shin Etsu is to rubber as Caig DeOxit gold is to electrons. :grin: Expensive and worth every penny. Have I told you how DeOxit just repaired my "too expensive to fix" Miller TIG welder? Or 2 or 3 years ago, my "too expensive to fix" Generac whole house generator?

Here's what happened to cause the "twin throttle cable" recall. The throttle bodies just hang on the heads via the rubber gizmos. (technical term) The balance rod for them is very close to the air box. A backfire can cause one of the throttle bodies to move aft, and the balance rod *will* hang up on the air box. If the throttle is open at the time, the driver can't close it. :o Rather than making a solid mount for the throttle bodies, the cheap (Guzzi content) way to fix that problem was to add the closing cable.

I know for a fact that John Lloyd, (RIP) good guy, met his maker in just that manner. Anyone with a 98EV needs to keep an eye on this issue in their pre ride inspection.

That's terrible :(

So when you say "Anyone with a 98EV needs to keep an eye on this issue in their pre ride inspection.", are you saying:

1) The twin cable recall doesn't fully fix the issue, so again keep an eye on the linkage?

2) Post-1998 EVs somehow fixed the issue, and if so how?  Did the inclusion of the twin cable throttle after 1998 address the problem, or did MG do something else after 1998?

But yes, my 1998 has the twin cables on the throttle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, al_roethlisberger said:

That's terrible :(

So when you say "Anyone with a 98EV needs to keep an eye on this issue in their pre ride inspection.", are you saying:

1) The twin cable recall doesn't fully fix the issue, so again keep an eye on the linkage?

2) Post-1998 EVs somehow fixed the issue, and if so how?  Did the inclusion of the twin cable throttle after 1998 address the problem, or did MG do something else after 1998?

But yes, my 1998 has the twin cables on the throttle.

What I meant was to keep an eye on it because if the throttle body migrates aft and the rod drags, the throttle will be hard to close.

I don't know when they did it, but later FI Guzzis have a throttle body "assembly."

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Wow 270k!  :o   ... and 107k!  :o

You definitely get your money's worth out of your vehicles!  :sun:

Soooo hey, is Wayne Orwig still making those replacement stalks, and if so what is his contact info?

I'll ask him when I get back to Virginia.  Naturally, there will be a surcharge for my providing contact info.  :P

17 minutes ago, Chuck said:

What I meant was to keep an eye on it because if the throttle body migrates aft and the rod drags, the throttle will be hard to close.

I don't know when they did it, but later FI Guzzis have a throttle body "assembly."

I don't know the experiences of others, but I was aware of the sticking cable before the recall fix, but not since.

Actually, my throttle grip still sticks, but because of my inept installation of heated grips.  :luigi::homer:

I have decided to view that as a "feature," i.e., aftermarket cruise control.  :grin:

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

my throttle grip still sticks,

To adress that problem on a couple of bikes, I bought this:

https://www.louis.de/artikel/teflon-gleitfolie-fuer-gasgriff/10026095?filter_article_number=10026095

The ring will go on pretty much any bike, and reduces or eliminates friction between the grip and the switchblock. That was an issue I had with the Domino short-throw throttle on my V35 Imola. I put one of the rings in on the GTR 1000 too.

If I remember correctly, I could put the flat sheet around the handlebar in on the Domino grip, but not on the GTR 1000, but that might have been the other way around. On one of the bikes, there wasn't enough gap between the throttle barrel and the bar. For the one on which the sheet wouldn't fit, I used some spray-on Teflon on the handlebar. That worked well too. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Thanks!

According to the parts diagram, this is what the assembly is supposed to be, but of course I'd have to check what is actually on my 98 to see when this was adopted.

BTW, as an aside... as you may recall, I was mostly out-of-the-loop on even thinking about my MG for over a decade as other life priorities intruded, and then there was 3+ years of pandemic...   

When I was first tinkering with the LeMans back in 2002 and in the years following, there wasn't much online to reference like these parts diagrams.  So having these diagrams and part numbers readily available from various sites, and downloadable, is REALLY helpful now :thumbsup:

image.png

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Well of course not... you just sit and manually rev it constantly :bike:

Just kidding :P

That officially makes it a "cruiser" bike?

• Haha 2