1998 EV ...new to me

al_roethlisberger

Well, I just had this "delivered" yesterday... seriously, the previous owner rode it 40 miles and delivered it to my house for "free" (well, "included") :sun:  ...good guy :bike:

It's a 1998 California V11 EV ...so it's technically on-V11-topic ;)

I've never been a "cruiser" guy, but this was just up the road, looked great (Californias have grown on me over 20 years, but I used to really not like them to be honest), and was really cheap.  So I thought for the price I could risk giving it a try.  Plus it came with bags I've wanted for a while, that would have been 20% of the cost of the entire bike!

The previous owner apparently was the national sales manager for MG in the USA in the early 90s when Moto America was the importer, located right down the road in tiny Lillington, NC.  He said he almost certainly sold this bike to the dealership (if you can call the small shops selling MG back then "dealerships"), that sold the bike to its first owner, who he then bought it from 2 years ago.  This guy has a garage full of BMWs and MGs, and is very fastidious about his equipment, and the first owner was apparently a mechanic who was also very keen on upkeep.  So hopefully that bodes well for the overall bike.  But definitely an interesting chain of custody.

It has 41k miles, and is in excellent condition, with some understandable patina from its 26 years and a few small paint scratches and chips, but overall in remarkably good condition, especially as a "10 footer".  Other than the seat and big plexiglass National Cycle fairing, it appears to be completely stock :thumbsup:

I have to replace the big Corbin seat with something similar to stock though, both for aesthetics (ruins the lines in my opinion), and more importantly because it really is too tall for me with that big couch :P

1998-Guzzi-EV-AWR-001.jpg

• Like 9

Very nice, Al.

Pity about your blue.  My '98 is in the much more desirable and coveted HDM livery. :grin:  Seriously, it has 107K miles and is still a strong runner.  

BTW, I am riding my Stornello over from Wendell for a 1 p.m. lunch at http://www.pik-n-pig.com in Carthage.  It's a (small, I think) gathering of some all-brand locals.  

We are housesitting down here for a set of our kids vacationing in Hawaii.   I trailered the Storny down here -- yes, I know; for shame -- and have been doing some local roads past few days.  See, e.g., N.C. Day Ride 1 & N.C. Day Ride 2.

Anyway, maybe I'll see you in Carthage.

Bill

35 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

Very nice, Al.

Pity about your blue.  My '98 is in the much more desirable and coveted HDM livery. :grin:  Seriously, it has 107K miles and is still a strong runner.  

BTW, I am riding my Stornello over from Wendell for a 1 p.m. lunch at http://www.pik-n-pig.com in Carthage.  It's a (small, I think) gathering of some all-brand locals.  

We are housesitting down here for a set of our kids vacationing in Hawaii.   I trailered the Storny down here -- yes, I know; for shame -- and have been doing some local roads past few days.  See, e.g., N.C. Day Ride 1 & N.C. Day Ride 2.

Anyway, maybe I'll see you in Carthage.

Bill

Well hey there Bill, Carthage is just down the road from me in Sanford :)

We just went to Pik-N-Pig for their grand reopening a couple months ago, after being closed for a long-while following the fire.

And after the previous owner dropped off the EV, he and his friend went to Pik-N-Pig for lunch yesterday.

It's definitely a popular spot, especially on the weekends.  Expect at least an hour long wait.

I won't be able to come over today though as I already am fully scheduled, but we'll have to try to meet up one time while you are down here.

So how long are you house-sitting?

And which color combo is the "HDM" livery?

Any wisdom about this series of EV to "watch for" or "check"?  Being an in-between year... too young to be a well-documented "classic", and too old to have any support from current vendors or much information online, there isn't much out there about this series.

Too bad today won't work.

Back to you on your EV questions soon, but here are a few quick comments.

I have been attentive to servicing, and thus it's had few issues.  One -- "over washing" as a new owner led to a corroded ignition switch and expensive tow.  Almost missed a daughter's wedding. :o  

Needed TPS in early 20K's; fine since.  

Only recalls I "recall" were (1) rear wheel had potential spoke problems, but never heard of a real life instance of failure; and (2) to add a throttle=return cable.

Recently, I have had "rough running" of the seemed unbalanced TB sort.  Finally came to conclusion that it needs new injectors.  Ordered those; they await installation.

Our Wendell kids and grands are in Hawaii, returning tomorrow.  I go home to Virginia on Monday.  We come here every few months, so will let you know.

Oh, HDM?

Hot Dog & Mustard.  :D

i-4LNZ67d-XL.jpg

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

Too bad today won't work.

Back to you on your EV questions soon, but here are a few quick comments.

I have been attentive to servicing, and thus it's had few issues.  One -- "over washing" as a new owner led to a corroded ignition switch and expensive tow.  Almost missed a daughter's wedding. :o  

Needed TPS in early 20K's; fine since.  

Only recalls I "recall" were (1) rear wheel had potential spoke problems, but never heard of a real life instance of failure; and (2) to add a throttle=return cable.

Recently, I have had "rough running" of the seemed unbalanced TB sort.  Finally came to conclusion that it needs new injectors.  Ordered those; they await installation.

Our Wendell kids and grands are in Hawaii, returning tomorrow.  I go home to Virginia on Monday.  We come here every few months, so will let you know.

Oh, HDM?

Hot Dog & Mustard.  :D

i-4LNZ67d-XL.jpg

Bill

Thanks Bill!  That's all great information, and it was nice speaking with you today.

And I'll check that the linked brake spring is in good shape, and that the shift linkage main nut is tight/secure.

I may try to make it out to Pik-N-Pig after all, but I'll text you either way.

And regarding any recalls, rear spokes and throttle return cable, according to Piaggio at least :thumbsup:

The sent VIN number is : ZGUKDBKD8WM113024

The request has been forwarded. Result of request:

NO recall campaigns are pending for this vehicle
CALIF EVOLUZ USA BLU/AZZU (ANNULL)

40 minutes ago, al_roethlisberger said:

@docc  What was that "magic" grease you used on various black plastic parts that you swear-by to restore the "blackness"?

Shin Etsu grease (has a Honda part #) for rubber.

"Plastic" can mean a lot of different things, but generally I use "210" spray cleaner/polish for "shiny" plastics.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, docc said:

"Plastic" can mean a lot of different things, but generally I use "210" spray cleaner/polish for "shiny" plastics.

I love to learn about products I’ve never heard about before, “210” is a new one for me.

There is another Honda product that works well for plastics, “Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish”. 

And they are both a lot cheaper (Guzzi content) than “Plexus”..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, docc said:

Thanks, just looking for something to freshen up the exterior of the Hepco Becker hard cases.

3 minutes ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Thanks, just looking for something to freshen up the exterior of the Hepco Becker hard cases.

I bet the Shin Etsu will be perfect for that!

• Like 1