Wanted: Seat for 1998-2000ish California EV

al_roethlisberger

I bought a 1998 California EV a few weeks ago, and it came with a one-piece Corbin seat, which I understand many owners like for its increased height and comfort.

However the Corbin is not a good fit for me, and I personally do not like the aesthetics of the seat either.

So I've been in search of an OEM (factory) seat that will fit.  So far this has been a surprisingly tough part to find, even used.  There are quite a few from 1997 and earlier available, which use a different seat latch mechanism, but for some reason the 1998+ seat just isn't as common.

The 1998 EV has the old P8 ECU up under the seat, which normally would then require the 1998-specific main and pillion seats (the pillion is actually more important from a clearance perspective), but I plan to relocate the P8 ECU beside the battery which will allow the use of later seats.

I have a later pillion already, so my primary need is for the main seat from this era, although I'd entertain a 1998 pillion as well if someone has one.

I've posted this on MGNOC, Wildguzzi, and GuzziTech... with no responses.  And I've spoken with Mark at MGC and he doesn't have any right now either.  Harpers also is out, as their upholster has retired, and so they don't know when they'll have any more.

So if anyone has a seat from 1998-2000ish (I think later than 2000 may fit too, but would need to check photos, etc), please let me know.  I could probably also make an EV Touring one-piece seat work as well.

Thanks!

Thanks, I've seen those on eBay, but none of those will fit, especially the main seat example. That pre-1998 "button" style, which BTW I don't mind from a styling perspective, unfortunately has a different seat-pan and latching mechanism.  These pre-1998 seats are relatively common, but won't fit.

Some later 2000+ main seats may fit, but I'd have to see the seat to make sure.

The earlier or later (than 1998-2000) pillions also are relatively common, and I have one of the later pillions already which I'll try once the ECU is moved.  The later pillions also though will not fit a 1998 due to ECU under the seat, unless I relocate the ECU, and some of the earlier "button" style pillions may.  I'd consider a 1998 pillion though if someone had one for sale just so everything mates up as stock.  Most of the ones on eBay are stratospherically priced with shipping, or won't ship to the USA.

So my main need is a 1998+ main seat.

I recall one of our members speaking of a fellow out west (US) that has broken down a lot of "EV" and has many parts. Sorry, I don't remember who. Somehow, "Mark" comes to mind . . .

1 hour ago, p6x said:

Unfortunately that first seat is from a pre-1998, and won't mount to a 1998+

I'll look at the listings for the second link, but being overseas can be a challenge of course.

...and it's funny that the third link goes to the "Moto Guzzi California" FB group, which I had searched for but didn't find!  That's potentially very helpful :bike:

Thanks!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Unfortunately that first seat is from a pre-1998, and won't mount to a 1998+

I'll look at the listings for the second link, but being overseas can be a challenge of course.

...and it's funny that the third link goes to the "Moto Guzzi California" FB group, which I had searched for but didn't find!  That's potentially very helpful :bike:

Thanks!

I have been an expatriate for the greatest part of my life. I lived about everywhere in the world. I learned to not fear what I am not familiar with; of course, today's global world has brought a lot of scams from people looking to make a few bucks.

I regularly purchase items from outside the USA; that includes eBay.

As far as searching for rare items, using VPN software, I set my locale in the country where I am searching, and I use the language of the place. This is what happened with Facebook. I used Italian keywords.

Obviously, we have come a long way from the language barrier. But if I set myself in Italy and search in Italian, I get hits that I don't necessarily get with those key words in English. I also omit some of the obvious key words such as V11, because those search engines work for those who pay the most, and you end up getting hits that lead to nothing.

Maybe with AI chats the problem will be solved. I have made a few attempts with Google BARD, such as making basic searches for V11.

For example, I ask BARD to give me a list of active Moto Guzzi Forums, and at the time, it declined.

I think that sooner than later, those AI chats will be able to find everything. Somehow, I don't think it is going to be for the best.

• Thanks 2