Brembo brake pads

docc

My rear pads were really worn so I got a pair from MGCycle. They were less expensive than the fronts.  EBC-GG. They claim low disc wear...we'll see.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, docc said:

I mean, there are 4 pads at the front and two at the rear. Not sure how the rear could "cost more."

Perhaps the message here is: Beware of aggressive HH and even "sinter" pads. If they eat your V11 rotors, you'll be halfway to a bad day. Replacing rotors makes any pads look cheap and easy.

/ea 

5 hours ago, LowRyter said:

/ea 

From MG Cycle, the rear Brembo "carbon ceramic"/ blue back GF were $26.43US/pair in October 2022.

That same order, the front Brembo "sinter"/ red back SHH (that I had to take off immediately) were $34.67US.

The front Brembo (OE)/ black back FF from OPP Racing I just received were $44.50US.

YMMV

I just rode some miles to do a bedding exercise on those new pads and they have great feel, no excessive dusting, and don't sound like a lathe rolling the sport up onto the lift.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, docc said:

From MG Cycle, the rear Brembo "carbon ceramic"/ blue back GF were $26.43US/pair in October 2022.

That same order, the front Brembo "sinter"/ red back SHH (that I had to take off immediately) were $34.67US.

The front Brembo (OE)/ black back FF from OPP Racing I just received were $44.50US.

YMMV

I just rode some miles to do a bedding exercise on those new pads and they have great feel, no excessive dusting, and don't sound like a lathe rolling the sport up onto the lift.

I just looked at my bill, EBC HH $47 rear and $40 front.   That's two weeks ago.  

wait?  black back (is that rear brake,,,,?? no. ) 

A few bucks....different brands, different dates ...like everything else over the last few years from gasoline to potatoes. 

skip all that.  The front seems a little weak with these pads.  Rather than go dollars and cents, maybe some tech talk.  Now the guy did replace the levers (he dropped my bike).   I readjusted the lever (pivot and pullback) after a long ride and it seemed better around the block, I suppose I shouldn't make a point until give it a longer ride.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2023 at 8:30 PM, Speedfrog said:

Another option for the front brakes pads is Brembo 07BB1907  — Blue backing / Organic Carbon Ceramic compound.

On 5/12/2023 at 8:49 PM, docc said:

The last Brembo rear pads I found for the V11 are the blue backing. The wear pattern on the rotor looks "compatible." :huh2:

As far as I can discern, the (black backing) OE pads are FF, the blue backing "Carbon Ceramic" are GF.

*Perhaps* pads rated GG are okay? But I have had two distinctly bad experiences with HH and "SHH" pads on our rotors. Sure, they brake aggressively. Plan on new rotors.  :huh:

Just replaced a rear tire and performed an appropriate "Wheels Off Maintenance" including servicing the rear brake (clean/rotate pistons, bleed the fluid, check the pads). The "blue back" Brembo Carbon Ceramic I had installed last had gone from 4mm pad thickness to 1mm in 6500 miles. YMMV, but I usually get 10,000 from the rear pads (Yes. I use the all the brakes).

IMG_0198.jpg

So, I went to OPP Racing for the OE Brembo black back pads (FF/ organic)

$16US, but with $13.95 insured shipping, I ordered two sets to make that seem okay. <_<

• Sad 1

Discs are a consumable in my eyes. Whilst I don't use the brakes much on the road, on track I find the stability in braking is one of the V11's strong points and Renthal pads work a treat. I am often still hard on the gas when others are showing brake lights. Great for levelling other bikes and pinning them straight until I am ready to turn.

When I previously replied to this topic, I said I recalled installing EBC pads,but could only find blue Brembos in my parts stash, so I assumed I had on Brembo Blues,,,, it's because i think the EBCs are on the bike, :grin:

I just went through some parts receipts for my V11 Lemans and it appears I used EBC Kevlar Organics.:homer:

fwiw ymmv 

:rasta:

I am not certain what the current availability of rotors is for our V11s. Some braking systems (cars I have owned, i.e. Volvo) were designed to change the rotors with pads. "But they have great brakes " was my service writer's reply to my bitching, er, "objection." :glare:

AFAIK, our Brembo are not designed this way. I realize racing look$ at expendable part$ differently.

• Like 1

The reason the rotors wear so much now is , The friction material is harder than in the past , The rotor is lighter (less metal) than in the past. This is done to reduce unsprung weight. this is giving up the width of the rotor and in turn heats up FASTER and wears out faster .

• Like 2