air filters

mikev

My V11 came with UNI sock filters and airbox uninstalled.  I don't really like with Uni socks and want to either replace them with K&N or reinstall air box.

I kinda like the idea of reinstalling the original airbox, but taking off the gas tank seems like a pain just to change an air filter, and i have an oddball assortment of screws for it that may or may not be correct.  So I'm looking at K&N filters.  

Does anyone know the part # of K&N filters that would fit?  Want to confirm before I buy them.

My bike came w/the K&N setup. I didn't like the noise and reinstalled the factory airbox. 

You might replace the air filter once every 3 years so don't worry about it .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, we took a closer look at my airbox, tank removal instructions (thank you forum), and made a list of parts and questions.  Airbox reminds me of a hippo skull.  

I am missing the front and rear main airbox bolts to the frame, one looks like it needs to be ~3.5" long (front) and rear ~2-2.5" long.  There are three bolts for each side panel, some holes are different sizes.  I have some oddballs in there that sort of fit.  Anyone have specs on any of these bolts? I didn't see anything in manual, probably have to order them from McMaster.  

On the front left of air box there is a brass nipple for a hose connection.  Can I ignore and seal this? Or reattach with new hose to wherever its supposed to go.  Which is where?  On the front right of air box there is a small rectangular hole flanked by screw holes on either side which I assume is for some sensor.  I'll probably just cover this unless there is a good reason to find a replacement.  Both holes would let air into box after the filter.

I see two screws in red frame under tank / seat junction which I do not think are involved in this airbox but wonder what they are for.  Can send pic if helpful.

Same question for the two screws on the rear of airbox facing toward battery.  What are they supposed to attach to?

The boots closest to engine on both sides look a bit cracked.  And should probably be replaced.  Is that something I should do now?  Or am I opening a can or worms?

After reading tank off main list, I ordered new heat shield tape from McMaster, (it came within 24 hours). Expensive tape.

Thanks in advance for any info.

IMG_7026.jpg

IMG_7025.jpg

Have a look here. Wendel is kind enough to actually state the dimensions of some of the screws. Maybe it will help you.

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/luftfilter-v11-02-le-mansskura-ex-30_3006_300602_30060203_3006020310_300602031027.html

As far as the rubber bits go: anything that looks old and deteriorated before the throttle bodies should be replaced in the course of time, but is not extremely critical.

Between the throttle bodies and the motor is important. If anything there looks old, replace it. If you get air leaks there, it can do really weird things to the way the motor runs.

• Like 4

The brass nipple at the left front is for the crankcase vent off the banjo bolt at the front top of the spine frame behind the headset.

Square hole at the right front is for the air temperature sensor. You'll have to find where that has been put and put it back.

• Like 3

Not sure where your fuel supply goes off the fuel tap, downward like that . . .

IMG_7025.jpg

More commonly, that line goes forward to the fuel pump (sometimes to the filter first):

IMG_1397.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikev said:

I am missing the front and rear main airbox bolts to the frame, one looks like it needs to be ~3.5" long (front) and rear ~2-2.5" long.  There are three bolts for each side panel, some holes are different sizes.  I have some oddballs in there that sort of fit.

On the front left of air box there is a brass nipple for a hose connection.  Can I ignore and seal this? Or reattach with new hose to wherever its supposed to go.  Which is where?  On the front right of air box there is a small rectangular hole flanked by screw holes on either side which I assume is for some sensor.  I'll probably just cover this unless there is a good reason to find a replacement.  Both holes would let air into box after the filter.

I see two screws in red frame under tank / seat junction which I do not think are involved in this airbox but wonder what they are for.  Can send pic if helpful.

Same question for the two screws on the rear of airbox facing toward battery.  What are they supposed to attach to?

The boots closest to engine on both sides look a bit cracked.  And should probably be replaced. 

My airbox is off at the moment, so I took a look.

The hex head bolts holding the airbox lid down are 6mm dia x1mm pitch, length 82 & 30mm from under head to end.

The screws attaching the side panels to the airbox are button head chrome or SS 5 x 0.8mm 12 mm length.

The brass nipple is for the engine breather hose from the banjo at the top of the spine. Any oil resistant low pressure hose will keep oil vapour from making a mess.

There should be an air temperature sensor on the front of the airbox. If it's not there, the ECU will assume a default temp, and the engine will be out of tune if the air temperature is not 20°C.

The 2 screws on the rear of the airbox attach angle brackets going to frame mounts. You need those.

The engine is sensitive to air leaks, so replace the cracked intake boots.

The designer took some trouble to optimise the intake system, and you are restoring to that. Expect the engine to run better over the rev range, and with proper air filtration, when you finish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Replace the airbox. K & N air filters don't and offer an easy way to diminish the life of your engine and offer zero performance advantage.

The stock airbox works quite well. When I bought the 'Mighty Scura RC' many years ago the very first modification I did was refitting the stock airbox and both of the owners who have had it since I moved it on, (Chuck and Kidsmoke.) will attest that that bike, which has a fairly radically worked motor, goes like ordure off an earth moving implement!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, audiomick said:

As far as the rubber bits go: anything that looks old and deteriorated before the throttle bodies should be replaced in the course of time, but is not extremely critical.

If the airbox connecting sleeves are deteriorated  to the point of letting unfiltered dirty air being sucked into the TB’s, I believe it would be pretty critical to have them replaced.

• Like 1

Did a bit more research regarding the air temp sensor, and found a nice thread on them.  I'm hoping mine is tucked away somewhere under the tank in a modified 35mm film container :)

Also found the intake boots might be hard to find.
https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/23486-rubber-intake-boots/

Maybe I can wrap them with some high heat black tape till I locate replacement parts?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

If the airbox connecting sleeves are deteriorated  to the point of letting unfiltered dirty air being sucked into the TB’s, I believe it would be pretty critical to have them replaced.

Of course one doesn't want unfiltered air going into the motor. "Critical" was meant as "does the motor still run or not". An air leak before the throttle bodies is not extremely critical in that sense.

As far as unfiltered air goes, it isn't good. But there are motors out there with nothing but velocity stacks before the carbies or throttle bodies. They probably wont last as long as a bike with a filter, but the don't destroy themselves within a week either. :huh2:

35 minutes ago, mikev said:

Also found the intake boots might be hard to find.
https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/23486-rubber-intake-boots/

Maybe I can wrap them with some high heat black tape till I locate replacement parts?  

My last ones came from here:

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=94