Oil Leak from the Top

LowRyter

I feel like Rosanna Danna, if it's not one thing it's another.  Some of you recall that I had a 50k mile refresh on the bike, brakes, tries, dyno tune, then Don dropped the bike, and he had to get new levers and mirrors, then got it home and gas leaks, finally got it running good and had the a few electrical contact issues.

When I got the bike home, I changed the oil and have ridden about 500 miles or so.  Running strong.  Then,

I got off the bike from the last ride and oil is dripping on both sides,  my boots are polished.  On the side stand, I'd guess a few ounces on the driveway.  The top of the V on the motor is splashed, particularly the front.   Splashed over the breather tube, especially wet at the banjo from oil cooler.  Both the banjo and the sender seem tight.

oooh well....

13 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I feel like Rosanna Danna, if it's not one thing it's another.  Some of you recall that I had a 50k mile refresh on the bike, brakes, tries, dyno tune, then Don dropped the bike, and he had to get new levers and mirrors, then got it home and gas leaks, finally got it running good and had the a few electrical contact issues.

When I got the bike home, I changed the oil and have ridden about 500 miles or so.  Running strong.  Then,

I got off the bike from the last ride and oil is dripping on both sides,  my boots are polished.  On the side stand, I'd guess a few ounces on the driveway.  The top of the V on the motor is splashed, particularly the front.   Splashed over the breather tube, especially wet at the banjo from oil cooler.  Both the banjo and the sender seem tight.

oooh well....

oooh well....

Been there done that with oily boots to prove it. Got my replacement at MG Cycle.

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=1186

CRANKCASE BREATHER HOSE TO FRAME 1100 SPORT V11 SPORT V11 LEMANS

PART NUMBER: 30157400

In stock
    IN STOCK

$27.37

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1

Yes, breatherhose.

Cheers Tom. 

• Like 1

You could also use a couple of these.

QUALITY HOSE CLAMP, CRANKCASE BREATHER VENTILATION

PART NUMBER: 0540249

In stock
      IN STOCK

$6.31

• Like 1

Ohh, I forgot to mention that I had them install a new breather hose on the bike.   I had it stashed for a few months in the parts box.  Is there enough pressure to make that kind of mess?   Also, I mentioned changing the oil.  Typically when I fill it up, in a few miles it pukes out enough to go to the bottom mark.   

Yes, I did mention all that to the tech.  But his response was there shouldn't be that much pressure.   Gone full circle on this one.

Breather hose is the most likely culprit but it could also be the hose to the airbox, a seized ball valve in the breather spigot or the rocker feed delivery hose or bolt. Check the cooler fittings as well and make sure the radiator isn't cracked.

• Like 2
      • Thanks 1

^^^ This. You aren't going to find it via internet, ya know..:rasta: Since you were riding it when it happened, it may not be obvious where it is coming from. Aerodynamics can do funny stuff with spreading oil around. If necessary, you *may* have to clean every thing up and apply baby powder to suspected areas, then run it. That will make a fine mess to clean up..:D

• Like 4
      • Haha 1

Don's got a couple of guys he's training.  The guy that rehabbed my crashed EV is pretty good.  The other guy is a real novice and was working on both bikes.  He means well and I  want him to succeed.  But both bikes he worked on went back to for leaking gas.  I have a feeling that he might not have gotten the breather tube on snug either.  But I'm a little tired of the whole mess.  But of course, I'm jumping to conclusions.  I did need a sanity check.

OTOH, after TB cleaning and tune up, both bikes have never run better and make me remember why I like to ride Guzzis, that's 70k (EV)  and 50k (Sport) miles respectively.  

• Like 2

Let me pass this one from a member on Wild

If your oil mess turns out to be the large diameter oil breather hose that runs from the front of the frame spine to the top of the crankcase just in front of the tranny, you might want to know this this:

When mine developed a leak just after I bought the bike last summer (97 1100 Sporti, i believe it's the same on a V11), I replaced it with a new one from MG Cycles. It split within 100 mies down near the bottom and MG Cycles replaced it for 1/2 price.  The replacement also failed in the same spot within 300 miles.

So, giving up, I did a little research and found a reference on another website to a Ford heater hose that is supposed to work:
      Goodyear Ford hose #63318.   NAPA Item#: NBH10912  $55.99.   The bends are in the right place, you just have to cut off a couple inches of the ends.

I don't have many miles on this one yet, but the hose is rubber rather than vinyl and has a fabric reinforcement molded into it.  I don't see how it could be any worse than the original.  Also, it's not that much fun to install.

Hope this helps.

Perhaps I should've left well enough alone?  

• Thanks 2