Connector seal damage from Caig DeOxit

docc

There are those of us who are such fans of what Caig DeOxit® does for connectivity across fuses, relays, switches, and connectors.

Yet, as @PJPR01 recently pointed out, connector seals can swell and tear from DeOxit exposure. Specifically, the green Metri-Pack seal on the V11 TPS and the Casper's TPS Breakout Harness.

100-00414.png

But also the yellow TE AMP SuperSeal connectors in the rest of our wiring harness(es). See how this 5-position AMP connector seal swelled after exposure to DeOxit? Once the tank was back on, that connector was not connected and the tank had to come back off and the connector compressed with a clamp, then "zip-tied" to make connection . . .

IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

I plan on replacing the seals at next "tank off."  Yet, the seals are not available separately. The TE/AMP connectors are available from various suppliers including Gregory Bender.  Buy the connector, slip off the seal as a replacement. See the link, above, for sources of the TPS 3-position "Metri-Pack" connector/seal.

Otherwise, be aware that while Caig DeOxit® is electron-magic, it will swell these seals and make them vulnerable to tear and possibly interfere with the connector reliably engaging/connecting.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I wonder if a good used seal can be had from a junkyard since they been using those types of connectors on cars for the last 20+ years.

And, I think I used the wrong type of de oxit on the rheostats of my 45yo Pioneer 1010.:wacko:

I Googled this question last night and came up with nothing . These connectors are in the AC delco / Packard family and I looked for compounds that could be used with them . Found nothing . I am sure these were intended to be installed dry but IDK what CAN be used w/them . 

I use the MC electrical grease on Deutch connectors only to make it easy to disconnect in the future .

• Like 1

You guys use spray deoxit? I have little tubes, setting a single drop directly on the contacts. I don't think I ever get enough on anything to get to the rubber- and just as a matter of habit (won by hard experience) I let everything dry for a couple minutes before I reassemble pretty much anything anywhere. Still, important information.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 7:28 AM, Chuck said:

The DeOxit gold was invented for audiophiles..

Hi Chuck,

Yeah, I used their D5 stuff on the old stereo

I didn't know there were different blends of Deoxit when I bought their D5 years ago:doh:

Art