The swealtering heat in the Southwest....

For those of you who live in the US and check the weather reports, you are aware that the Southwest is under an extreme heat wave. Combined with the Texas humidity, it is suffocating.

I think it is even worse than last year which I thought was the highest heat index I ever experienced.

Riding a motorcycle in these conditions is very different.

• Sad 2

I haven't been on the bike for several weeks now...just not enjoyable being outside in these conditions...the swimming pool is much more enjoyable!

• Like 2

It is hot here, 90 degrees F or so, but not like much of the country is experiencing. We are just normal hot, thankfully.

Side note, the entire planet hit a record high the other day.

• Sad 3
5 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

I haven't been on the bike for several weeks now...just not enjoyable being outside in these conditions...the swimming pool is much more enjoyable!

Those Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas stops are still awaiting your visit...:)

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

Side note, the entire planet hit a record high the other day.

That and the torrential rains in Vermont....

It is sad...

3 hours ago, p6x said:

Those Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas stops are still awaiting your visit...:)

I'm anxious to get a few more stops...at 20 so far!  It may be September at this point unless we get a week in the 90's.

With a heat index of 110 or above during the day, I'm probably going to have to ride at 5 am and watch for deer to avoid the heat.  Not a great choice!

• Sad 1
12 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

I'm anxious to get a few more stops...at 20 so far!  It may be September at this point unless we get a week in the 90's.

With a heat index of 110 or above during the day, I'm probably going to have to ride at 5 am and watch for deer to avoid the heat.  Not a great choice!

I considered driving during the night too; but the heat is still present, and the danger is too great. I usually leave by 5:00 too, but even the morning hours are already suffocating.

The Dallas stops are tempting, because only four hours away. I would have to overnight and come back in the morning.

I don't want to travel just to make the stops. There is no fun in that.

I am looking forward to go to Marfa to watch the stars.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Decided to check how arduous riding in this weather still is.... a little 139 miles loop to Brenham via Sealy Tx and back through the 290.

I was not disappointed! it is not even the temperature, but the heat index. Opening your visor in the suffocating ambient air does not provide any relief.

They are announcing a "colder" front coming next week. I am looking forward to it.

Temperature 2023-08-14 at 15.19.28 IMG_0672

• Like 3
3 hours ago, p6x said:

Decided to check how arduous riding in this weather still is.... a little 139 miles loop to Brenham via Sealy Tx and back through the 290.

I was not disappointed! it is not even the temperature, but the heat index. Opening your visor in the suffocating ambient air does not provide any relief.

They are announcing a "colder" front coming next week. I am looking forward to it.

Temperature 2023-08-14 at 15.19.28 IMG_0672

Well done, be happy you don’t have an oil temperature gauge to disturb you.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 1:17 PM, Tomchri said:

Well done, be happy you don’t have an oil temperature gauge to disturb you.

Cheers Tom.

Actually, I wish I had one, just for the sake of checking if there would be any difference in temperatures in the scorching heat, or in typical weather.

In fact, the outside temperature is so high, that the AC in my house is unable to maintain the dialed temperature. When I start my day at 6:00, the temperature is already 80 deg F (27C); I don't think this AC has the capacity to cool down the house in this heat.

Houston has also issued a water conservation alert, because of the drought, and we have very low pressure at the moment.

Here's an item that can give you that oil temp info...some folks here (myself included) have it...yes, it's a farkle, but it's quite nicely built.  Easy enough to check off the bike while you're tanking up or at a coffee stop.

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5327

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Here's an item that can give you that oil temp info...some folks here (myself included) have it...yes, it's a farkle, but it's quite nicely built.  Easy enough to check off the bike while you're tanking up or at a coffee stop.

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5327

I had one on my Harley, in 1979. But the Harley had a dry sump, so I did not have to check the level using the dipstick.

How easy is it to check the oil level with this one? as "easy" as with the original dipstick? better?

• Like 1

Oil level just beneath Roper plate. Thrust Liqui moly, you don’t need a gauge to tell you what’s going on, ears and nose.

Never mind,  :bier:.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1