Centauro

BrianG

58 minutes ago, p6x said:

I am still amazed that some amateurish errors can happen to such a long running company. Surely, they must have learned from previous experience? or were they so strapped for cash they had to always do everything as cheap as it could be?

Wasn't Guzzi under De Tomaso at the time they came up with the Centauro? just before Beggio? maybe De Tomaso wanted to unload Guzzi already.

Sadly, Guzzi has made worse errors, like the 8 valve engines that ate their tappets. And that seems like a matter of getting the valve spring rates wrong. But I don't think we will ever know for sure what they messed up to cause that issue. Some issues with Guzzi's are quality control issues, where a certain number of them are just poorly made, perhaps using poor quality parts, that didn't get caught in QC. But sadly other issues are basic design issues. So, an aluminum oil pump gear is not surprising. They may have simply had some alumnum oil pump gears laying around, and while the engineer may have spec'd steel, if they had aluminum gears laying around leftover from something else they may have just decided to use them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

Sadly, Guzzi has made worse errors, like the 8 valve engines that ate their tappets. And that seems like a matter of getting the valve spring rates wrong. But I don't think we will ever know for sure what they messed up to cause that issue. Some issues with Guzzi's are quality control issues, where a certain number of them are just poorly made, perhaps using poor quality parts, that didn't get caught in QC. But sadly other issues are basic design issues. So, an aluminum oil pump gear is not surprising. They may have simply had some alumnum oil pump gears laying around, and while the engineer may have spec'd steel, if they had aluminum gears laying around leftover from something else they may have just decided to use them.

As sad as it may be, I am prepared to give them a pass on everything.

I still have clear in my mind the Takata airbag disaster, which took many people being hit by shrapnel before the industry decided to divulge the issue they attempted to sweep under the rug.

Same thinking about GM and their faulty ignition switches: 124 people passed away....

I bad eeprom seems like a walk in the park.

Not sure if the original poster is still here or if he moved to www.centauro-owners.com. Mods? What are plans for the bike and how many miles might you put on her? You might want to check if the previous owner did a ground strap from the voltage regulator to the frame. Speaking of voltage regulators a Shindengen might be a good idea. My Ducati regulator failed on me. 

On 8/20/2023 at 4:09 PM, BrianG said:

So, i have found some front end mods by Joe Caruso, but I'm a bit confused.....

There appears to be a cam drive gearset replacement for the V11 cam drive chain.

Also, there are oil pump and gear replacementsv for both the hi-cam and the V11 motors.

I'm not sure whether Joe Caruso has something for the high-cam  engine cam belt drive system. 

Can someone fill me in on what Joe actually has for the high-cam V10 in the Daytona/Centauro?

Joe makes replacement steel gears for the crank, jackshaft and oil pump and also new pumps. I've been waiting for my third set of gears and pump for 3 years now and he informs me he's found a new gear maker so I should have them by the end of the year. Get an order in now if you want some. The alloy gears are rubbish but if your engine has low miles and isn't likely to accumulate too many then you should be ok. 

Phil

On 8/23/2023 at 6:56 AM, p6x said:

As sad as it may be, I am prepared to give them a pass on everything.

I still have clear in my mind the Takata airbag disaster, which took many people being hit by shrapnel before the industry decided to divulge the issue they attempted to sweep under the rug.

Same thinking about GM and their faulty ignition switches: 124 people passed away....

I bad eeprom seems like a walk in the park.

I've said it a million times, you need to give brand new designs time to mature. People still don't believe it though. The new V100 Mandello is a case in point, lots of small but niggly detail faults ( and one major safety one) all so far connected to production issues but the design issues always take longer to make themselves apparent. People still seem to think engine designers have got it 100% nailed but nothing could be further from the truth. I recently spent a lot of time in researching issues with the new cars I was considering buying and there are a ton of serious problems with LOTS of major brands that require major mechanical invasion work thats never a good thing when you consider the skill of the average dealer mechanic these days. Here's just a few that come to mind. Mazda 2.5L turbo with the cylinder on demand system, that fails catastrophically. Recall for new head. Same model without COD and cracked heads around the exhaust port header mount. Replacement head. B58 BMW inline 6 oil pump failures and recall to replace the ( new) plastic pump gears. People are generally non technical these days so are totally unaware of these common problems, until it happens to them that is. I could be here all day on this subject but it's a fact. Buy a clean sheet design at your peril. Patience is the key and let the designe mature. It's been the case for nearly 100 years and is just the same today. 

Phil  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I've said it a million times, you need to give brand new designs time to mature. People still don't believe it though. The new V100 Mandello is a case in point, lots of small but niggly detail faults ( and one major safety one) all so far connected to production issues but the design issues always take longer to make themselves apparent. People still seem to think engine designers have got it 100% nailed but nothing could be further from the truth. I recently spent a lot of time in researching issues with the new cars I was considering buying and there are a ton of serious problems with LOTS of major brands that require major mechanical invasion work thats never a good thing when you consider the skill of the average dealer mechanic these days. Here's just a few that come to mind. Mazda 2.5L turbo with the cylinder on demand system, that fails catastrophically. Recall for new head. Same model without COD and cracked heads around the exhaust port header mount. Replacement head. B58 BMW inline 6 oil pump failures and recall to replace the ( new) plastic pump gears. People are generally non technical these days so are totally unaware of these common problems, until it happens to them that is. I could be here all day on this subject but it's a fact. Buy a clean sheet design at your peril. Patience is the key and let the designe mature. It's been the case for nearly 100 years and is just the same today. 

Phil  

This de facto concept is exactly why I am so impressed with this "forum"/community .

MySport would not exist otherwise. Perhaps, nor would I.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As the Caruso oil pump/gear mod is not yet available and the ETA is uncertain, I would like to find information on the V11 chain drive oil pump mod.

Can someone point me to detailed instructions on the Centauro oil pump "to chain drive" conversion?