Mike Rich pistons

Eamonn

Hi gents, I’ve got a couple of pistons made by Mike Rich Motorsports in Newfoundland PA, I’m considering installing them on my 04 Cafe Sport, but just wanted to ask if anyone out there has any experience with said pistons, With regards to how the bike runs, more gee gees etc.? Would it be a recommended mod.?

• Like 1

If I had a set of them I would install them when I had the engine apart for anything. It is a fair amount of work to install them, so taking the engine apart to install them for no other reason might not be the cheapest idea. Still a good idea, but better if the engine is having work done already.

As I recall, the Mike Rich pistons improve the shape of the combustion chamber (the space between the cylinder head and the piston), improving the squish area, as well as increasing the compression ratio for faster and more complete combustion. I would not expect a massive difference, but on bikes I have done similar mods to I have experienced better throttle response and a small increase in torque. No earth shaking power, they aren't going to turn your V11 into a top fuel dragster, but an improvement none the less.

• Like 5

Thanks for your response GuzziMoto, I kinda expected that was the case. Mike Rich doesn’t claim that they’ll turn your steed into a rocket ship either, so that’s fair enough. If & when I fit them I’ll report back on my findings. 

On 12/2/2023 at 11:59 AM, Eamonn said:

... If & when I fit them...

You probably know this already, but for the sake of having said it:

Whilst it is apart, it would most likely be prudent to have the heads done (valve seats freshened up etc. )

It would be wise to weigh the new pistons and the old pistons. If there is any significant weight difference, perhaps an engine balance should be considered. :)

• Like 2

Yes, you’re quite right Audiomick, I did weigh them & they’re both 579gms, I didn’t think of ‘freshening’ the head as you say but I agree it’s be worth doing whilst they’re off, particularly considering I now have 84k kms on the bike.

I believe that the Scura owned by myself and subsequently Chuck which has now been passed on to another person had Mike Rich pistons. It is certainly a beast but the pistons were only part of a raft of modifications to it so I really have no idea exactly how much influence they had on its blistering performance.

Certainly if I was going to go to the trouble of installing them I'd probably combine it with other work and at 80+,000 kms it could probably do with a top end freshen up as has been suggested. Chances are it will need remapping to get the best out of any mods.

• Like 2

Well, lets' face it. They are all just air pumps. The Mighty Scura had Mike Rich flowed heads, which IHMO was the main thing. He told me they were the best Guzzi heads he'd ever done..still had records.

• Like 4

Install them. I have them in mine. The only other engine mods besides fuel tuning is an exhaust crossover (FBF), aftermarket mufflers (MAP) and airbox modifications. 

The power increase is palpable. It will pull to the rev-limiter in 6th gear. 

I wanted to send my heads to Mike but never did.

• Like 3

I don't know how many miles the OP's engine has on it, but the valves and valve guides seem to be made of some sort of hard cheese, maybe Parmesan. If you are replacing the pistons I would also makes sure the valves and valve guides are good. It would be a good time to have the port work cleaned up as well. You don't need the ports hogged out or anything, but cleaned up and matched well would be nice. The heads have to come off to do the pistons,  so you might as well have the heads done.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Chuck said:

Well, lets' face it. They are all just air pumps. The Mighty Scura had Mike Rich flowed heads, which IHMO was the main thing. He told me they were the best Guzzi heads he'd ever done..still had records.

Chuck question, did the Mike Rich pistons create more engine vibration? 

3 hours ago, Joe said:

...did the Mike Rich pistons create more engine vibration? 

If they did, they most likely didn't weigh the same as the standard pistons, and I reckon a crankshaft balance was indicated. :huh2:

The Mike Rich pistons are designed to be the same weight as the original pistons, despite a higher dome. Since they are the same weight, they are drop in with no rebalancing required.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I spoke with Mike Rich right after covid he told me he wasn't interested in modifying bikes any more. His passion or pay check is for cars. So I was wondering if you could post a picture of a Mike Rich piston? It would be interesting to see the difference between his piston and a Fast by Ferracci piston. Kind of curious if they skirt coating on them to.

When you mention the pistons are 579 grams is that the entire piston assembly? Does that include piston, pin, ring pack and clips because my 2002 weighted in at 598.6. I don't know Guzzi was able drop 20 grams per piston assembly between 2002 and 2004 but 40 grams off balance would be a no go in my book. Lot of things could make Mike's pistons lighter narrower ring pack, tapered wrist pin. Just asking.

45 minutes ago, Kevin_T said:

I spoke with Mike Rich right after covid he told me he wasn't interested in modifying bikes any more. His passion or pay check is for cars. So I was wondering if you could post a picture of a Mike Rich piston? It would be interesting to see the difference between his piston and a Fast by Ferracci piston. Kind of curious if they skirt coating on them to.

When you mention the pistons are 579 grams is that the entire piston assembly? Does that include piston, pin, ring pack and clips because my 2002 weighted in at 598.6. I don't know Guzzi was able drop 20 grams per piston assembly between 2002 and 2004 but 40 grams off balance would be a no go in my book. Lot of things could make Mike's pistons lighter narrower ring pack, tapered wrist pin. Just asking.

Oh, no! I waited too long to get Mike Rich valves and headwork?!?  :(

• Sad 1