Low fuel sensor functionality.

Cabernet

hi, I have the tank off V11. Whilst my bike is registered as 2003, it maybe an early year masquerading as such, as it has an external fuel pump and relief valve. Not having an OEM dash, my low fuel sensor bypassed, and I would like to recommission it. Does anyone know the voltage that sensor is powered by? Does the sensor self regulate the current or is that limited by the “presumably” in series bulb?

The low fuel sensor grounds 12 volts via an internal thermistor. The voltage comes from Fuse 5 through the Headlight Relay (#2, from the front) flowing through the 1.2 watt instrument panel bulb.  The bulb has constant power to it and only lights when the sensor (thermistor) heats up and provides a ground (earth) path.

I hope this explanation is helpful, @Cabernet !

• Thanks 1

Proved once again mine doesn't work, ran out of gas a half mile from the station today. I tipped the bike over gathering every last drop and rode the remaining way there.

I think I threw out my back… :(

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

Proved once again mine doesn't work, ran out of gas a half mile from the station today. I tipped the bike over gathering every last drop and rode the remaining way there.

I think I threw out my back… :(

Approximate tip angle? as in, how far did you go to not tip over...

Although I don't zero my partial trip, each time I refill, I make a mental note on actual mileage + 150 miles = next approximate refueling. My amber alert glow can easily be missed if I ride with the sun above me. It is also sensitive to inclination, so it may light in certain situations. Personally, I don't put too much trust in it.

In 2021, after I acquired the motorcycle, I never ran long enough to check if it was working. Even now that I know it does, I do not take the risk to rely upon it. Last summer, riding west Texas by 110 degF, I was very conscious about what it could mean if I broke down out in the sticks...

I decided that running out of gas should never be an option.

The "actual mileage left" would be the only concession I could be prepared to make to modern technology. In Europe, on highways, they have signs that inform you about the distance to the next gas stations, so you can easily decide where you should stop. This and free air make life easier.

It damn near took 6 full gallons when I filled it. I run the odo each time and in the past clocked 37mpg. This time only 205 miles.

As for leaning it over, about to the foot peg.

• 2 months later...

Well done, @Cabernet! I am honoured at the "thank you."

Pretty sure my thermistor's use-cycles and hours have made it less responsive. It has become less of a "low fuel warning" and more of a laughing crow cawing, "You've Run Out of Fuel, you dolt !" :huh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think Docc and I run the same low fuel thermistor/whatchacallit . My bike mimics a running out of fuel symptom . I stop and lay the bike over for a little while , get it back up and go a few miles , repeat procedure. It works perfectly! Do this as often as needed to get to civilization and gas up . I also follow the less used procedure of filling up every 200 miles . 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, gstallons said:

I think Docc and I run the same low fuel thermistor/whatchacallit . My bike mimics a running out of fuel symptom . I stop and lay the bike over for a little while , get it back up and go a few miles , repeat procedure. It works perfectly! Do this as often as needed to get to civilization and gas up . I also follow the less used procedure of filling up every 200 miles . 

Ah, yes, the "tip-slosh" replenish. Been there too many times. :blush:

No way I can go 200 miles. My safe refuel is closer to 160.

• Like 1

My digital-dash reminder lights up at 170 mile, and I fill up fairly promptly. The re-fill can be anything from 17 to 22 (eek!) litres.

My sensor has been inactive for 20,000 miles, so has only been powered up for 15,000 prior to that. Hopefully it will have some miles in it before it goes the way of yours. 

• Like 1