Balabio Bars to Clipons.

OuijiVeck

Im Baaaack ...after 20? Years... 

Looking to change Balabio bars to clipons 

ala my 02 LeMans... looking for info, ideas and sales. I imagine a lot of sport- LeMans riders went the other way and lots of clipons around out there

• Like 4

How cool, @OuijiVeck! Welcome back!

Probably will move your topic to a more visible subforum. Good luck swapping to clip-ons!

Are you also changing the headlamp mounting to bring the headlamp and instruments closer to the triples (like a Sport)?

Hey DOCC !

Yer still hanging 'round this house of

ill repute ? HA !

Thanks... not sure how to navigate around here.

I'm figuring there's gotta be lots of clippons laying around. I remember seeing people looking for taller bars for their LeMans !!

"Oh the HUMANITY !!!!" 

So...long story stupid.... I strayed from the cult 1.5 years ago when I got rid of my too FAT ...pig Norge. Loved it when it was rolling but stopped or paddle footing around a campground as I'm oft want to do it was too much for my 29inch inseam siatica old self. So... I decided to return to my cute lil' old sweetheart 94 900SS Duc... but I needed a good luggage sys...Givi? and shopping for same a set came up mounted to an 08 Kawasaki Versys. After reading about it and looking at specs I bit the hook. .. Really an amazing fun fast nimble little syfy machine but after 1.5 yrs it's gotta go. Miss the thump. ..so...shopping for a LeMans all up n own the east coast a couple sports have come up and an 04 Balabio for VERY CHEAP ....15kmi 3k$ ...!    BUT !!!  No I don't like the bars ...and yea.. the Turtle Head fairing is sticking WEIRDLY too far out of its shell...... ha!  It also has a 1inch longer wheel base. I loved the way the LM power through 80mph sweapers like a brick then did 35mph switch backs like a ballarina....a 600lb ballerina but ...always so sure footed. Will 1 inch in the WB feel different ? Dunno..3k$ though. 

Good to be back. Good to see you. Is nasty old Ratchet still around???? Ha !!!

• Like 2

G'day mate and welcome back.

Ha ha Ratchet's been gone for some time!

Cheers Guzzler

Ps Yeah I don't like the later versions of the sport with the fairing out front either!

Pps hear you about the sciatica too! 

Haha: the "Turtle Head" fairing! Too funny. This set-up was introduced with the 2003 Ballabio and used on the Café Sport, Coppa Italia, and Scura R (all with handlebars).

There were "Sports" produced throughout the 1999-2005 model range that use the close-fitting instrument/headlamp brackets.

There have only been two wheelbases throughout the range: the early 1999-2001 "RedFrame" and 2001 Rosso Mandello, and the "LongFrame" (about 3/4" longer at the headstock) was introduced with the 2002 LeMans and remained through the end of the model range (probably the 2005 Scura R).

Very thorough frame thread here:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, guzzler said:

Ha ha Turtle head!

Yeah, I thought it was quite an apt description too!

Cheers 

Unlike the (IMO) disparaging descriptor "PorkChops " :bbblll:, that no one will admit to coining, "Turtle Head "  can always be brought back to our bud, OuijiVeck. B)

In case a bunch of Ballabio show up in the driveway with pitchforks, burning torches . . . :huh: :o :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

Hilarious...

I'm safe from them for the moment as she's holidaying down at the coast with the mechanic....

But must remember to keep an eye out for these marauders seeking retribution for this slander when she returns!

• Haha 1

Oh oh.... first day back and I'm making enemys.....

Oh well gotta start somewhere ...with Ratchet gone. .. speaking of mobs with pitchforks. .. :P

And how difficult is the cure for Turtle Head Syndrome. ? ... im sure there's PAGES.... Just looking for a 1 to 10 PIA rating.

Nice to be back.. !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, docc said:

In case a bunch of Ballabio show up in the driveway with pitchforks, burning torches . . . :huh: :o :rolleyes:

Well, mine would have to actually start first...

The early models, although not really lighter, have a cleaner, more compact look. The longer ones have that cantilevered fairing - good thing I'm sitting behind it. LM plastic always struck me as bulbous. Would like something in between, but I'm playing Goldilocks here.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, po18guy said:

LM plastic always struck me as bulbous.

I see your point, but I find that a V11 without that fairing looks half naked. The fairing balances out the bumptious rear end that they all have. B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, audiomick said:

I see your point, but I find that a V11 without that fairing looks half naked. The fairing balances out the bumptious rear end that they all have. B)

Oh yea...gotta have the faing. And when ever I had to remove that LM fairing I was wishing I had the small one. From what I've read the one on the Balabio dosemt do much more than create buffering. I'm vertically challenged and with lower bars maybe I'd get under the airflow. The beautiful fairing on the LM was awesome.....ugh..I let it go in '12 for  4k$ !!! Ugh! The only one I've seen they wanted 8k$!... 

Thanks for chiming in...

7 minutes ago, OuijiVeck said:

Did Guzzi EVER sort out the rear wheel bearing fiasco on the V 11 mags..the shift spring issue..the relays ?

Wheel bearing: what? don't know that one.

Shift spring: no, not really, as far as I have been able to tell. A solution was found here in the forum. If you're lucky, you might still be able to get one. Look here (it's a very, very long thread, but interesting) :

The relays: there has been quite some research done in that direction. Look here, also a very long thread:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Wheel bearing: what? don't know that one.

Shift spring: no, not really, as far as I have been able to tell. A solution was found here in the forum. If you're lucky, you might still be able to get one. Look here (it's a very, very long thread, but interesting) :

The relays: there has been quite some research done in that direction. Look here, also a very long thread:

Thanks again audiomic...

The wheelbearring thing was a problem with the casting of the mags. The ID of the mags varied slightly but the spacers were all the same resulting in pre mature bearing failure. Bit me at about 30k mi. 

Relays I'll just carry some spares. Shift spring bit me too. I bought 2 and kept 1 in the tank bag for years along with my sawed off 17mm wrench. Still have the wrench...maybe my spare spring is around...somewhere.... Shocked and DISMAYED  to hear one might NOT be sourseable... That would scuttle any plans of V 11 purchase. Up shits creek without one. I'll read the thread. I'll have one in hand before I'd buy the bike.

Thx again. 

• Like 1