R.I.P. Dr John

Paul Minnaert

We are not allowed the courtesy of an expiration date . We must treat everyone of our friends as though we are never going to see them again . 

• Like 11

RIP Dr John

Those of us who love riding the spine framed V twins have certainly benefited from his enthusiasm & inventiveness for the Guzzi marque. Just imagine how different things would be now if Dr John had concentrated on filling molars & doing root canal’s instead of turning his mind to improving the products of Mandello. 
Frankly I don’t consider 77 to be “old” these days, not when I’ve already passed the 60 milestone some time ago… we pass this way but once, however for us Guzzistas Dr John will be remembered with the respect he deserves 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pete roper said:

Pity he never gave any credit, (That I know of.) to the man who actually designed and pioneered the Spineframe.

Pete

I assume you’re referring to Tony Foale. I must admit that I don’t have any knowledge of whether or not Dr John did ever acknowledge Tony Foales chassis development regarding the spine frame concept 

I can’t recall Tony Foale applying his spine frame concept to a Guzzi, but I stand to be corrected if he did

Might it be this picture?

I should add that I pinched it. It was up-loaded to a german language V11 Forum. The copyright on it is apparentely owned by Tony Foale himself. I hope he doesn't mind it being posted here. :)

large.Toni-Foale.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oh, yes, we have discussed this before. While (IMO) much credit is due Dr. John for the spine frame development, and production, the origin is another matter . . .

Motoitaliane informed me they are sending me their new Dr. John book in March. I am even more looking forward to reading the interview with him from just a few months ago . . .

uno.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2