What's the trick to removing the Alternator nut?

rydfly

So obviously holding the rotor with a screwdriver against the rotor fin and adjacent stator housing bolt head didn't work... what's the trick to keeping the engine from turning while you remove the nut off the rotor?  

I need to pull the alternator to replace my leaking timing cover gasket... hopefully I haven't just cost myself $400 worth or alternator by breaking off this cooling fin?

I also tried having my wife hold the rear brake with the transmission in gear but that didn't work either (too much leverage at the crankshaft I guess?)

I quit for the night before I broke anything else out of frustration.

And I did check the service manual but step #1 of alternator removal is to remove the engine from the bike (!!!). Surely there's a way to avoid that, isn't there?!

2CB4901D-63B8-4D2C-A318-E5C0C341F659.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rydfly said:

So obviously holding the rotor with a screwdriver against the rotor fin and adjacent stator housing bolt head didn't work... what's the trick to keeping the engine from turning while you remove the nut off the rotor?  

I need to pull the alternator to replace my leaking timing cover gasket... hopefully I haven't just cost myself $400 worth or alternator by breaking off this cooling fin?

I also tried having my wife hold the rear brake with the transmission in gear but that didn't work either (too much leverage at the crankshaft I guess?)

I quit for the night before I broke anything else out of frustration.

And I did check the service manual but step #1 of alternator removal is to remove the engine from the bike (!!!). Surely there's a way to avoid that, isn't there?!

2CB4901D-63B8-4D2C-A318-E5C0C341F659.JPG

An impact gun or the correct tool to hold the rotor. I have one as it's a Ducati Alternator and uses a Ducati tool. There's an Ebay seller in GB selling them for around $100USD delivered. Item number 125558788704

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

There's an Ebay seller in GB selling them for around $100USD delivered. Item number 125558788704

Thank you! I just ordered it.

• Like 1

Buddy , you need an impact wrench . Find a mechanic w/a battery powered impact that will break it loose for you . There is a puller that will remove it. When you reinstall , have you pal tighten it for you.

HTH

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Steve S said:

A screwdriver in the inspection hole in the ring gear teeth or remove the starter to do similar 

the 3 bolts that hold the stator will be your next problem if they break off

While you're there I'll have a pound of sausages and 3 pieces of Sirloin.

Phil

15 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

I hardly use my pneumatic gun once I got this unit. https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/impact-wrenches/7-amp-12-in-impact-wrench-with-rocker-switch-61173.html

This should remove that bolt, right proper!

Yeah, these new electric impacts are pretty impressive and getting smaller & less expensive as time goes on.  I've got an ancient (bought it in '74, to remove wheel lugnuts on my '67 XR7 to do a brake job in the apartment building parking lot:D) Crapsman electric that's huge, about the only place I can use it where it's size is not a problem is for wheel lug nuts.  Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I used the electric, I just fire up the comressor and use the air gun but there could be a battery powered impact in my future...idk.

Rydfly, your rotor fin mishap makes me sick, sorry for your loss, hopefully a good used inexpensively priced rotor is readily available.

Art

6 hours ago, guzziart said:

Yeah, these new electric impacts are pretty impressive and getting smaller & less expensive as time goes on.  I've got an ancient (bought it in '74, to remove wheel lugnuts on my '67 XR7 to do a brake job in the apartment building parking lot:D) Crapsman electric that's huge, about the only place I can use it where it's size is not a problem is for wheel lug nuts.  Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I used the electric, I just fire up the comressor and use the air gun but there could be a battery powered impact in my future...idk.

Rydfly, your rotor fin mishap makes me sick, sorry for your loss, hopefully a good used inexpensively priced rotor is readily available.

Art

It's still totally useable.

Phil

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

No

Phil

Agreed. The small amount of AL there is probably well within the tolerance from MG for the rotating assembly. But get a proper impact, air, electric, or battery, for next time and get the proper puller. Don't use a screwdriver to try and pry it away from the case.

• Like 5

On 2/27/2024 at 7:14 AM, Lucky Phil said:

While you're there I'll have a pound of sausages and 3 pieces of Sirloin.

Phil

That’s not very friendly is it?

i think that should be directed at the OP

26 minutes ago, Steve S said:

That’s not very friendly is it?

i think that should be directed at the OP

The British don't have much of a handle on Aussie sense of humour. Probably something to do with brilliant idea of shipping the convicts to paradise all those years ago while the rest stayed in England to bask in the Pommie weather and warm beer for the next 250 years. You find my comment unfriendly but are happy for me to re direct it onto someone else? Jamming things into other things and applying significant torque to fasteners rarely ends well. The original mistake has regrettably and obviously occurred, no need to compound the disaster by suggesting other dubious techniques. 

Phil

• Like 1