Can you spot the intruder?

• p6x changed the title to Can you spot the intruder?

Notice that this is biased....

They should have included someone from the Netherlands, and Greece....

• Haha 3

Yes.

German is a good language. Very precise, very flexible, and the long words come about because there are no gaps left between adjectives and the noun. For instance, "racing motorcyle" is not "renn Motorrad" but rather "Rennmotorrad".

And for the puposes of that video, they should have taken a variety of Languages, and not 5 with common linguistic roots, and one with a whole different background.

Incidentally, an amazing amount of English goes back to German. So there... B)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, audiomick said:

Incidentally, an amazing amount of English goes back to German. So there... B)

That includes the infamous "F" word....

I wonder if many English native speakers know that.... the five letters word that starts with an F and that perfume many conversations is actually drawn from German...

• Like 1

Kindergarten another example

Beer…Bier

Salad…salat

Bratwurst

und so weiter…not to forget of course the famous VW ad…Fahrvergnügen!!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Beer…Bier

Salad…salat

Bratwurst

I see a list of important words 😅

Let s not forget Hamburger.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I just found a new one. Still finding them periodically, even after nearly 30 years here. :)

Souper ... supper.

The word occurs in the Opera "The Rosenkavalier", and I just looked it up to see if it was a "real" German word. The libretto features a lot of "Vienna dialect", some of which may have been invented by the author.

Anyway, Souper is a real word, means "a festive evening meal", and is oviously the origin of "supper".

• Like 2
1 hour ago, audiomick said:

Souper ... supper.

I am going to have to disagree on this one, but not completely. The German language picked it up from French.... ;)

supper (n.)

mid-13c., soper, "evening repast, the last meal of the day," from Old French soper, soupper "evening meal," noun use of infinitive soper "to eat the evening meal," which is of Germanic origin (see sup (v.1)).

Formerly, the last of the three meals of the day (breakfast, dinner, and supper); now applied to the last substantial meal of the day when dinner is taken in the middle of the day, or to a late meal following an early evening dinner. Supper is usually a less formal meal than late dinner. [OED]

In Biblical use, the principal meal of the day, corresponding to the Greek deipnon, Roman cena. Applied since c. 1300 to the last meal of Christ with his disciples before his crucifixion, at which he instituted the Eucharist.

also from mid-13c.

• Haha 1

All the languages are now a "pot pourri" of many others....

The French have espoused many words from the English language, such as "week-end", even if the pronunciation remains French; the English have also made theirs many words or expressions from European languages, also keeping their own way of saying.

I discovered "A tout à l'heure", which means see you later, which English pronunciation makes completely opaque: Toodeloo???? what?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, p6x said:

I am going to have to disagree on this one, but not completely. The German language picked it up from French.... ;)

Ok, your point. :grin:

3 hours ago, p6x said:

I discovered "A tout à l'heure", which means see you later, which English pronunciation makes completely opaque: Toodeloo???? what?

So that's where that comes from. I've always wondered. That was fairly common in Australia in my younger years. I think my maternal Grandmother used to say that. :)

18 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Beer…Bier

Salad…salat

Bratwurst

Aber nur ob sie eine Aufenthaltsgenehmigung haben!

• Haha 1