Is Britain the canary in the coal mine?

I’m expecting a V100 LeMans to be released by end of 2025 to coincide with completion of MG factory production revamp.
If this tips a trend will that realistic expectation turn into a vain hope?

Geoff Buys Cars keeps a close eye on the UK scene

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ScuRoo said:

Is Britain the canary in the coal mine?

I would say yes. In many areas. ICE vs EV especially. Often times social trends go the other way, from US to GB. I won't get into particulars here but for anyone who cares to look, the writing is on the wall. Some will never see it. The 'boiling frog' adage comes to mind, and cognitive dissonance is a tough adversary.

I thought his summary of the report was good. Whomever wrote the article was addressing A.What is happening there, and B.What the authorities say they intend to happen. Paying attention to the minutia of local market trends is the best predictor of probable outcomes.

UK and US differ most obviously in area size and distance, humans per area, public transport, and EU influence, so we'll have a bit more time here to 'deal' with it...hopefully. I watch the UK on all political levels. Thanks for posting!

There is no way the US will be able to implement the same legislations as Europe.

One obvious hurdle is the power grid. The infrastructure is not there.

The only reliable charging stations are provided by Tesla. The third party provider' stations are very often off-line, which is a major complaint from those having EVs that are not authorized to charge at Tesla's.

22 hours ago, ScuRoo said:

I’m expecting a V100 LeMans to be released by end of 2025

The Adventure bikes are the bestsellers across all manufacturers. For Moto Guzzi it is the V85TT so far. I don't know how well the V100 Stelvio is perceived.

I hope I am wrong, but the Le Mans would be relegated to a very niche corner of the market. At present, the mid-sized models such as the new Triumph 400 series are very popular, and more affordable.

14 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

Checked the bike sales in NL for 2024: First quarter: Around a 25% increase!  Top seller is not surprisingly the BMW R1300GS. Bestselling brand: Kawasaki.

That’s a massive increase - 25% !

Was sales way down last year or have a large proportion of farmers come into money and decided to splurge on a bike instead of a JD?

• Haha 1
On 5/1/2024 at 7:38 AM, footgoose said:

I would say yes. In many areas. ICE vs EV especially. Often times social trends go the other way, from US to GB. I won't get into particulars here but for anyone who cares to look, the writing is on the wall. Some will never see it. The 'boiling frog' adage comes to mind, and cognitive dissonance is a tough adversary.

I thought his summary of the report was good. Whomever wrote the article was addressing A.What is happening there, and B.What the authorities say they intend to happen. Paying attention to the minutia of local market trends is the best predictor of probable outcomes.

UK and US differ most obviously in area size and distance, humans per area, public transport, and EU influence, so we'll have a bit more time here to 'deal' with it...hopefully. I watch the UK on all political levels. Thanks for posting!

The social trends you speak of seem to be driven by a lot of US philanthropy dollars!

This report is revealing 

https://togetherdeclaration.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/CleanAirDirtyMoneyFilthyPolitics_pub_2.pdf

This is an intro into the above post. The report itself is a little long to read so it will only appeal to some, but for those who find detail interesting it is a fascinating in depth dive into what’s driving the transport agenda in the UK

Question is: why are all these US billionaire's inserting themselves into another sovereign country’s processes 

9 hours ago, ScuRoo said:

That’s a massive increase - 25% !

Was sales way down last year or have a large proportion of farmers come into money and decided to splurge on a bike instead of a JD?

A large proportion? We have about 50.000 farmers in NL, and maybe 200 have sold their farm. Most of them have no successor and they sold their farm voluntarily and for good money. So no, I don't think we have a lot of newbie bikers here that are former farmers. :P

Why the increase? My guess is road congestion and parking fees. 

14 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

A large proportion? We have about 50.000 farmers in NL, and maybe 200 have sold their farm. Most of them have no successor and they sold their farm voluntarily and for good money. So no, I don't think we have a lot of newbie bikers here that are former farmers. :P

Why the increase? My guess is road congestion and parking fees. 

You could be totally correct on the congestion and fees

But I tend to take a more nuanced view 😏

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hi @ScuRoo are there any Aussie commentators like this you could recommend? I follow Matt Barrie (here he is on the Equity Mates show) and would be interested in others of a similar bent.

I find it odd that people escape from UK to Oz, and yet the situation almost seems worse there (from the outside).

cheers!

On 5/2/2024 at 4:27 PM, ScuRoo said:

You could be totally correct on the congestion and fees

But I tend to take a more nuanced view 😏

• Like 2
On 5/7/2024 at 1:56 AM, Guzzi-in-Vancouver said:

Hi @ScuRoo are there any Aussie commentators like this you could recommend? I follow Matt Barrie (here he is on the Equity Mates show) and would be interested in others of a similar bent.

I find it odd that people escape from UK to Oz, and yet the situation almost seems worse there (from the outside).

cheers!

Locally? Dystopian Downunder substack and Aussie17

#1 by a country mile? Ex- Pfizer VP Mike Yeadon

IMG_8295.jpeg

• Like 1