Determining the Sump Oil Level

Not sure if I'm just inept (highly probable) but I've never been able to asses with any confidence the oil level in my 1100 or HiCam engine (both broadsump engines)

I've tried the plastic standard dipstick and a metal one, the metal one being slightly better, but I still find it hit and miss.

Not that it is really so critical, as now with Pete's sloppage plates in I way overfill the sump past the "high" mark, until the oil is just below the level of the plate (thank you @Lucky Phil for the advice) and never had any problems.

Even seeing that though is a little tricky, I usually asses it with the help of a small torch and barbecue stick to see when it touches the oil.

Anyway I suppose this is stupidly obvious but I purchased an LED flexi torch and it's great I can put it into the dipstick hole and get a good view of the plate and the oil sitting below it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00008BFS6?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

What? You aren't using the Guzzi spec "white" oil so you could see it on the black dipstick?? :lol: I drilled a series of 1/16" holes in it, and that worked.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I did what Chuck did, drill holes in the stock black plastic dipstick. They make it much easier to see where the oil level is. But I agree, the stock set up is hard to see. It should have the holes from the factory. Classic engineering fail.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

What? You aren't using the Guzzi spec "white" oil so you could see it on the black dipstick?? :lol: I drilled a series of 1/16" holes in it, and that worked.

Good idea, another mod I've seen is to dimple the stick metal or plastic. Can't help think a flat metal stick would be better, like you used to get on older cars.

I purchased the flashlight after losing 3 pints of oil when an oil cooler hose started to leak (you see now why I prefer to overfill).

The subsequent Motorcycle Accident Invetigation Team report cited "user ineptitude" as the root cause of the failure.

In accordance with the mandatory recommendations both lines were replaced.

My main worry was too little oil, as if you're obeying the stick marks waaaaay overfilling isn't an issue with a "Roper Plate" installed

One more thing the Australia with its solid belly pan, collects all the oil at the front which then blows rearwards and exits in the vicinity of the rear tyre.

Coating the rear tyre with engine lube provides early fault warning, preventing  premature engine failure by potentially trashing the whole bike insted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

A classic move when installing a Roper Plate is to install the oil dipstick while the plate is in place and mark the dipstick right under where the plate is relative to the dipstick. You can drill a couple holes there in the dipstick and use those to set oil level. As mentioned, with the Roper Plate installed you should be able to run the oil level right below the plate with no issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Chuck said:

I copied Chuck's method so I wouldn't have to dig deeper into my wallet for the stuff that shows up better on the dipstick.  

• Like 2

There's a bloke on the German forum that makes pull-out dipsticks for Guzzis. A screw in plug for the filler hole with a dip-stick through the middle secured by a locking pin. Made of metal, and flat in the relevant measuring area.

I reckon I will get one of those (likely one each for all three Guzzis), and the suggestion to make a mark on it just under the Roper Plate in the case of the V11 is very likely to be used. B)

On engines that I have trouble seeing the oil level.

I hold the dipstick up against a small clean piece of paper towel,,, the oil shows up clearly to my old eyes  :oldgit: 

fwiw

• Like 4

My new car doesn't even have a dipstick, stupidest thing ever. You take the car out and drive it for at least 30min then park the car on level ground and do an oil level check via the entertainment screen. It elevates the engine rpm to 1000 for about 30 seconds and does an oil level check and gives you the result. Like I said stupidest thing ever. Whats happened to German engineering? Millennials is what's happened.:homer:

Phil

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, audiomick said:

There's a bloke on the German forum that makes pull-out dipsticks for Guzzis. A screw in plug for the filler hole with a dip-stick through the middle secured by a locking pin. Made of metal, and flat in the relevant measuring area.

I reckon I will get one of those (likely one each for all three Guzzis), and the suggestion to make a mark on it just under the Roper Plate in the case of the V11 is very likely to be used. B)

Just buy a Stelvio one and mark the stick appropriately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip Pete. I wasn't aware that Guzzi had ever made a sensible dipstick. B)

I still might buy one or three from Meinolf, though (no, not him, the other Meinolf...) because his work is really quite pretty, and he's a nice bloke into the bargain. And he also makes them to fit the small blocks, i.e. suitable for my Breva 750 and my V35 Imola. :)

Incidentally, he (the Meinolf in question) has a V65 track bike modified to a mono-shock rear suspension. It looks a bit "utilitarian", but the longer you look at it, the more stuff you discover that he has modified. Cool bike. :bike:

Here are a couple of pictures of his dipstick.

IMG-2747.jpg

IMG-2752.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2