• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched a TV advert for Fat Tire beer from Belgium. It featured a couple of bicyclists but I really enjoyed the closing lines. Something about everyone has a folly - ours is beer!! Well I just had to go to the garage and open another Old Yale Pale Ale!!

If I can ever find this ad on video I will post it!!

93556[/snapback]

Fat Tire is a very tasty beer. :bier:

I have had barrel conditioned beer in England and was even allowed to participate in opening a barrel - quite an event. It makes every barrel unique as the many pubs have a slightly different way of conditioning and opening the barrel.

92368[/snapback]

I believe Jim is the man here, even Timothy Taylors Landlord and Black Sheep Bitter can taste fowl if not well kept and fresh.

IMHO bottled can never match the delight of a fresh LIVE recent well kept barrel, usually near the brewery ( the brewers object to their own beer served poorly on their own manor).

My best beer experience - The Market Tavern Leeds, I had just paid out my Irish sub-contractors and we were on for the full session. Hand pulled Tetley pulled by four great local girls under pressure, the overspill running out the door and down to Kirkgate. Better than mother's milk the boys said. Mother never produced the gallons that we put away that Thursday.

Tetley doesn't hold a candle to good beer now but 30 odd years ago with the occassion and the beer on form, total bliss.

Many English pubs serve wonderful beer but as it varies so much from day to day, given a selection and a good host I usually ask (quietly) 'what's on form tonight?'. Doen't work every time though.

Many English pubs serve wonderful beer but as it varies so much from day to day, given a selection and a good host I usually ask (quietly) 'what's on form tonight?'. Doen't work every time though.

93599[/snapback]

The barman at the pub that I was at in London said enjoy the beer tonight as it's quality goes down a bit every day. He did mention that the patrons ensure it doesn't last too long.

The freshest and most satisfying beer I have ever tasted came from the Aguila brewery in Cartagena Spain. I was a Marine Corps pilot on board the USS Inchon. We took some liberty at Cartagena and I met up with a retired bull fighter who introduced me to the president of the brewery. He invited me, our commanding officer, and ward room to a tour of the brewery. We took bottles straight from the manufacturing line and popped the top. It was ice cold and very good. I'm all for fresh beer.! :bier:

• 2 weeks later...

Franziskaner: :P:

Tomorrow my G/F and I leave for Norway... we were warned that prices of alcoholic beverages were skyhigh, so we're going to smuggle 72 tins of Warsteiner pilsner, 6 bottles of Offley Port, 4 bottles of Italian Canaletto rosé and 4 bottles of Aussie white wine into Norway...

:drink:

OK, I exaggerated... only 70 tins of beer, 5 bottles of Offley Port, 3 bottles of Italian Canaletto rosé and 3 bottles of Aussie white wine :grin:

Franziskaner: :P:

Tomorrow my G/F and I leave for Norway... we were warned that prices of alcoholic beverages were skyhigh, so we're going to smuggle 72 tins of Warsteiner pilsner, 6 bottles of Offley Port, 4 bottles of Italian Canaletto rosé and 4 bottles of Aussie white wine into Norway...

:drink:

OK, I exaggerated... only 70 tins of beer, 5 bottles of Offley Port, 3 bottles of Italian Canaletto rosé and 3 bottles of Aussie white wine :grin:

Smuggle? Is there a penalty if you get caught? Are you going by sea or by air? That's alot of containers! :bier:

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bit of research whilst on holiday recently and was quite impressed with some of the American Pale Ales.

Had this one in Utah:

beerlabels.com-03405.jpg

And this one was available all over California and I liked it so much I bought a load from my local supermarket in Huddersfield at the weekend.

sn.pale.jpg

All in all I was impressed and relieved to find decent beer wherever we went- I can't stand Bud or anything similar.

Guy :helmet: