What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Very nice Rox. I like that carbon flyscreen too. Do we need an Italian flag in the garage?  :helmet:

• Like 1

Took her for a long ride up in the mountains above LA, when I got back to my garage, I put her on the Becker stand for all new fluids...

Drained the bevel drive, and topped it off with some Motul 31721L 80W-90 Moly

Drained the gearbox and refilled her with Redline Heavy Shockproof, as it has worked so well....so far.

Drained the engine oil, didn't do the filter, as I did it last time.

On reinserting the drain plug, it sure did seem st spin a lot when I was threading it back in by hand.......huh?

The drain plug threads are totally stripped. How did that happen? F********K.

Ordered Time Sert kit (after checking that my drain bolt was M10x1.5 at the local hardware store).

A great day!

Replaced my 8 1/2 year old Pro-Grip SuperBike grips (Made in Italy!). The fine threads of the bar-end weights is a great place for the liberal use of anti-seize thread lubricant!

gallery_328_223_40157.jpeg

Got the Time Sert kit 10x1.5, fixed the stripped drain bolt and finished my "fluid change fiasco"

Then went for a flying 60 mile rounder up the CA 2 and back down Oro Vista.

I have been tuning the suspension and she is handling like a beautiful and muscular trapeze artist, flying through the curves as I blipped and banged the downshifts on the set-up and rolled on the throttle midway, feeling her sturdy back end wiggle under the power as I ever so gently nudged her grips to and fro.....*ahem*

SUCH a great bike. 

IMG_6115.jpg

• Like 4

Three vehicles due for service at the same time. Two bikes and my daughter's car. Her Toyota Highlander has over 150,000 miles on it and the used oil still comes out clean. That thing is amazing. Now onto the bikes...

IMG_6303.jpg

I was struck by similarities and differences in the K75s and the V11 LeMans.  Sort of funny thing - both have Ohlins shocks from other bikes that I bought to fix-and-sell after removing the Ohlins.

Final drives - the Guzzi fills through the top and has a special plug to determine the oil level. The Beemer fills through a hole is at the correct level - so if you measure the oil it comes up to exactly the threads in the fill-point (in other words - nearly impossible to overfill).

Transmissions - oil changes were basically the same, but the Beemer runs straight into the pan, whereas the Guzzi has an exhaust crossover in the way. 

Engine oil - they both use a man-hole cover on the bottom of the oil pan. But the Beemer's cover has three tabs with three normal bolts (vs the Guzzi's fine threads on the edge of the spin-on cover). This was actually the first time I ever changed the Guzzi filter through the manhole cover (without dropping the sump). I found it interesting that they both orient the filter vertically - but I have never heard of anyone dropping a sump or using a hose clamp to secure the oil filter on the BMWs. 

Special note re UFI filters. Last time I did the oil my LeMans I used my last remaining UFI filter. When I removed it, the gasket stayed with the engine, instead of coming out with the filter. I had to reach in and remove it to prevent doubling up on oil filter gaskets. I'm using the WIX filters now - 1 1/4 turns past first contact.

Plugs - they sure are easy access on the Guzzi - and they are way deep in the K75s, behind a metal cover and between the overhead (side-head?) cams.

And they both got much-needed washes.

The Beemer's tires are worn down the center. She gets most of the commuting miles and the long freeway runs... saving the tires on the Guzzis for the fun rides.

That was coincidental. The K75 was overdue. With four drivers in my house these days, the maintenance needs can pile up - and two more years till the youngest can drive. Glad my wife's Subaru has all maintenance included for a while longer.

Special note re UFI filters. Last time I did the oil my LeMans I used my last remaining UFI filter. When I removed it, the gasket stayed with the engine, instead of coming out with the filter.

Seriously, I'm convinced UFI had a gasket manufacturing issue for a long time. I'm pretty sure that is what brought on the entire "hose clamp" issue. I quit using them and hose clamps in 07. Recently someone posted a UFI picture with much of the paint gone, so you can add paint prep issues, too. Over the years, I've seen guys with outsiders mention UFIs leaking around the crimp. My Norge did that.. and I haven't used one since.

• Like 1