V11 Rebuild and customisation

knumbnutz

The aluminium is hydroblasted, raw but treated in such a way that it resists oxidisation and staining.

Nice, Neil! :thumbsup:

(and not a single *knockometer* in sight!) ;)

Raw aluminum for the cases and such?

The aluminium is hydroblasted, raw but treated in such a way that it resists oxidisation and staining.

Nice, Neil! :thumbsup:

(and not a single *knockometer* in sight!) ;)

Raw aluminum for the cases and such?

That is really interesting. It looks really good!

How does the process treat the metal instead of just stripping the finish?

I should also say that hydroblasting is water, fine glass bead - like you would find on 300gr sandpaper, and another agent (not exactly sure - hopefully not agent 86)

Whereas sand or bead blasting is quite abrasive and leaves a porous finish, the hydroblasting is shining and smooth but with the roughish contours of the original sandcasted casing. They also call it vapour blasting, wet blasting.

They use a blended fine grade, high quality glass bead. Because glass beads are round and the cleansing action is by flow rather than impact, the finish is much finer than traditional angular media used in dry blasting.

wetblasting_illustration_1.jpgwetblasting_illustration_2.jpgwetblasting_illustration_3.jpg

The base metal remains totally intact. Media does not impregnate the surface because it is cushioned by the water. Critical tolerances and threads are safe.

That makes perfect sense, that it is not entirely water, but contains some sort of media.

The result seen in the pictures is really impressive. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That looks great! :thumbsup: I like this hydro-peening thing. Let us know how it holds up to exposure.

And just enough hammer in the pictures to pay your Club Dues. :grin:

• Like 1

Haha, not forgetting I use other instruments as a hammer too, that me not be obvious like the battery drill, butt of my screwdriver and at times my forehead

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update, frame back from the painters, engine and gearbox (put new bearings in the GB) back together.

33251726935_1fb085e7a6_b.jpg

33095693652_f219d4f6b4_b.jpg

33210333246_e781367610_b.jpg

33095690062_50e73c24de_b.jpg

Hopefully get the side brackets and the bottom triple clamp back for the weekend and then the front and back end can all go back on.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

• Like 2