UK meeting 2009

An evening of pie, ale and whisky- and no mobile phone signal!

What more could a man want?

Haggis, of course! You guys have to bring a supply over!

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haggis, of course! You guys have to bring a supply over!

I guess we will need proof of vaccinations and a pet passport for the Haggis.

There was another guy from Ulster called David who used to go to our local branch of the Guzzi Club- he used to tell me about the days when he smuggled poteen on that sailing- he always used to pack a couple of spare bottles as pressies for the customs officers!

• 2 weeks later...

Accommodation deposits

A deposit of £200 has been requested (from me)

and then the final balance in one payment at the May meeting weekend.

I suppose that's the usual arrangement, for an organised group booking. It's not ideal in our situation, where it will work better for everyone to make their own payment. I've been sitting on it for a while as I want to call at the place to discuss the options and find out if it's ok for people to book by phone.

If I have to pay a lump-sum deposit, then maybe the UK folk can divide the deposit cost and send me a cheque? The point is I want to try to avoid the extra cost of bank charges that will be incurred in converting Euros to sterling, although that will only apply in a few cases.

Any comments, please let me know. I hope to call at the weekend, if the guy can be there to meet.

• 2 weeks later...

As it's difficult to get both me and the Barholm owner in the same place at once (and I'm going to be away again for 5 days over next weekend) I've just emailed him to ask if it would be possible for individuals to pay directly by credit card, over the phone.

While that would work much better for me, I guess he normally has organisations making a single deposit & payment for club or group booking.

Phone booking with a credit card would be easier than me gathering deposits by post. If there is a problem with that, I'll ask you to send me a deposit.

I'm not a definite, I'm afraid. I'm on call for all of May, just like last year for some f*cking reason, so It's in the lap of the Gods, and I won't know until about a week beforehand. I've no problem with a dorm(nobody snores,do they?), but would have even brought a tent, but I gather that's not an option. IF I can go ,I'll be all weekend.

... I've just emailed him to ask if it would be possible for individuals to pay directly by credit card, over the phone.

While that would work much better for me, I guess he normally has organisations making a single deposit & payment for club or group booking.

BOOKING

I have a reply to my enquiry about people booking by credit card.

He's happy to do that if he can take full payment at time of booking (non-refundable). Hope that's OK.

Let me know what you do.

I had allocated people to room numbers according to their original preferences. I'l add that info here when I get a chance later today, so perhaps you can wait to see that before contacting Barholm.

Here are the contact details again:

Will Brown

Barholm

11 The Strand, Portaferry, Co Down, N. Ireland BT22 lPF

Tel:+44 (0)28 427 29598

Fax: +44 (0)28 427 29784

Email: info@barholmportaferry.co.uk

GM201719.jpg

The rooms as I allocated them, according to availability and people's preferences

Booking can be done online, but I think that it would be better to phone (details above). Any problems, any help needed – please contact me.

I have updated the full list of attendees in the post earlier in the thread.

• Have any of you 'maybes' made a decision yet?

Name

Room number - type - days - (price)

David/BFG & Jean/Mrs BFG

3 - double ensuite - F, S, S & poss Thurs - (£40 per night)

Steve / Brushwarrior

4 - single - F, S, S, M - (£18 per night)

Jaap, Euan, (possibly Bertie) (Ferg)

5 - mini dorm, 4 singles - F, S, S - (£56 room / £14 each per night)

Mal & GF

6 - double ensuite - F, S - (£40 per night)

Stockport Claret & GF

7 - double ensuite, lough view - F, S, S & poss Thurs - (£45 pn)

Guzzirider, Mr&Mrs

8 - double ensuite, lough view - F, S, S - (£45 pn)

Bertie**

10 - single - T, F, S, S - (£18 per night)

Other rooms still available:

2 - family

9 - family

11 - 8 bed dorm

12 - 8 bed dorm

13 - Family 2+3

14 - Family 2+3

Rooms list was in this post.

Plus other accommodation possible at Portaferry Hotel, Fiddlers Green and others...

• Bertie & Stockport – will you arrive on Thursday night? If so, that's great and I will book Thursday as well.

• **Bertie, do you want a single, or to share a dorm?

General info at moto.belfastguzzi.com and the bigger site at www.belfastguzzi.com (log-in info in earlier posts here).

The rooms as I allocated them, according to availability and people's preferences

Booking can be done online, but I think that it would be better to phone (details above). Any problems, any help needed – please contact me.

I have updated the full list of attendees in the post earlier in the thread.

• Have any of you 'maybes' made a decision yet?

Name

Room number - type - days - (price)

David/BFG & Jean/Mrs BFG

3 - double ensuite - F, S, S & poss Thurs - (£40 per night)

Steve / Brushwarrior

4 - single - F, S, S, M - (£18 per night)

Jaap, Euan, (possibly Bertie) (Ferg)

5 - mini dorm, 4 singles - F, S, S - (£56 room / £14 each per night)

Mal & GF

6 - double ensuite - F, S - (£40 per night)

Stockport Claret & GF

7 - double ensuite, lough view - F, S, S & poss Thurs - (£45 pn)

Guzzirider, Mr&Mrs

8 - double ensuite, lough view - F, S, S - (£45 pn)

Bertie**

10 - single - T, F, S, S - (£18 per night)

Other rooms still available:

2 - family

9 - family

11 - 8 bed dorm

12 - 8 bed dorm

13 - Family 2+3

14 - Family 2+3

Rooms list was in this post.

Plus other accommodation possible at Portaferry Hotel, Fiddlers Green and others...

• Bertie & Stockport – will you arrive on Thursday night? If so, that's great and I will book Thursday as well.

• **Bertie, do you want a single, or to share a dorm?

General info at moto.belfastguzzi.com and the bigger site at www.belfastguzzi.com (log-in info in earlier posts here).

hi david, i would like to stay on the fri night, im happy in a dorm, i havent booked anything it might make jiggling the numbers about easier. i can drop dollars to you anytime. looking foward to good time and run on sat. i will be having a long weekend at nw200 the previous weekend, cant rip the arse out of it!!

thanks marty

hi david, i would like to stay on the fri night, im happy in a dorm, i havent booked anything it might make jiggling the numbers about easier. i can drop dollars to you anytime. looking foward to good time and run on sat. i will be having a long weekend at nw200 the previous weekend, cant rip the arse out of it!!

thanks marty