Reaction Rod

rich46

I noticed that the reaction rod on my gold bike was pretty bad off yesterday when I compared it to the one on the red bike. The bushing is pretty gnarled up and there was noticeable play in the rod and rear drive. After looking to get a repacement, I decided to just swap the two for now as I ride the gold one more and am in the middle of re-freshing the engine block on the red one. To my surprise when I tightened the mounting bolts at the frame before swaping to parts, the play disappeared. I guess my question becomes, do I really need to replace the rod now that the play is gone or should I ride it until the play comes back. I will ride it the next day I get a chance to see if the play comes back.

Thank you one and all,

I need to find some sort of new rod ans the previous owner had let it go too long and the ally in damaged. I considered finding a used rod and using some form of synthetic material but I just felt that if I was going to do that I might gain a little adjustablity by using rod ends and a tube. The reason I was looking at the Rossopuro rather than gathering together the bits and making one myself is the cost of doing so would not be much better and didn't look to be worth the effort. Now it looks as if that will be the best way if not the only way to go. I did talk to Rick at MG. They are out of stock and he had no idea when they are getting more. If they're no longer being made that avenue seems to be closed.

Thank you all for your input.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Bushings gone in OEM reaction rod. Would like to replace with Rossopuro unit. Does anyone know if there is somewhere one can order one in the states. Can't seem to get a response from the parent company. If not the USA the UK would be good. Thanks for any help or other suggestions.

Rich

Is the reaction rod in good shape, that is not bent? If it is good why not replace just the bushings? Silent block bushings are made by many manufacturers,e.g.,Powerflex. Because silent blocks are used in so many places the prices are very cheap.

The block material can be rubber(most common) or urethane along with others. I have nothing to say for or against Rossopuro, but just offering a different avenue.

Good Luck

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to get a hold of the PF99-103 bushings from Powerflex... but I can't get anyone to email me back yet...gonna just order some off eBay tonight. Here are the ones I am going to try for my Cardan bar:

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/product-details/100+Series+Top-Hat+Bush/39.html

I would have liked to get the red anodized bar from Rossopuro (I love the easy bling) but looks like that avenue is shut down.

Dunno if the OP is still looking, but the Rossopuro site has them available, in polished silver (red is out of stock)

http://www.rossopuroitalia.it/index.asp?Prd_ID=8&Prd_PrdType_ID=5

Looks pretty sexy. Filippo Barbacane (info@rossopuroitalia.it) is aware of the problems on the site and is working on getting them fixed. In the meantime he can be contacted directly at the above address.

• 2 years later...

What's the matter with making one with Aluminum tubing and heim ends?

there would be NO give whatsoever in the rod.

So what, give is not required with spherical bearings. The only reason the rod and spherical bearing solution is not used in the first place is a cost of manufacture and maintenance one.

The Rossopuro unit works well, looks good and bearings are cheap and easy to replace when need arises.

Ciao

It seems to me that it would be desirable for both ends of the rod to rotate freely, such that the suspension itself would do it's job of springing and damping without interference from resistance of the reaction rod resisting travel by restricting rotation.

Said another way, the Heim joint ends make more sense (to me) than the rubber factory bushes that do not rotate freely. And that it seems fixing the rod at each end with no ability to rotate would strictly interfere with suspension travel.

I've long wondered if my rear suspension would perform better if there was no binding at the ends of torque/reaction rod to let the suspension components do their jobs freely. :huh2:

A spherical rod end does rotate and swivel but has no give.  To properly in stall the factory reaction rod , you would want to install it and tighten both mounting fasteners ( that will tighten the center of the rubber bushings ) at ride height . This will be when your weight is on the bike. As far as rubber or solid bushings , it is a free country . 

zombie thread! not sure how or why it has been resurrected, but for anyone wondering, Ghezzi Brian sells a really nice part to replace the stock one, using Rose joints at either end.

image.jpg

Since this thread is alive again, I can add something.

I am pretty sure the original version of this system on the Guzzi, i.e., the Daytona, used a heim joint for the reaction rod. As with car suspensions, using a rubber bushing is a trade off, less performance for more comfort. A rubber bushing will transfer less vibration and jolts, while not giving the same fluid motion and range of motion.

If I were replacing the rubber bushing on a V11 I would go with the type of set up as on the Daytona. But that is me.

Visually, they are clearly different. When working on the rear suspension you can feel the fluid movement of the metal joint on the Daytona. One has to think, based on common sense, that free motion in your rear suspension would be better.

But the two bikes are so different otherwise, that you can't really compare by riding them. The V11 has a sweet Penske shock set up for proper spring rate. The Daytona has the original WP shock with a spring that is somewhat close rate wise. But the WP is archaic compared to the Penske. That said, the fact that you really can't tell the difference when the Daytona has a shock of clearly lower class says something, perhaps.

People put effort into making sure their rear suspension is properly lubricated and greased. Having a rubber bushing that resists fluid motion is clearly working against that ideal.

The rubber bushing has it advantages, it is just a question of whether those advantages are important to you. The rubber bushing is more forgiving for alignment. It also should not transmit vibration and harshness.

But I don't really notice any extra vibration or harshness on the Daytona.

I think the main reason the V11 has the rubber bushing is cost. It is cheaper to use a rubber bushing. The Daytona was a much more expensive motorcycle new than the V11. There are a number of aspects of the V11 that were done to reduce cost.