V11 tyres?

The Pilgrim

So, still some question, then: what is a 2002 "Sport?"

Has handlebars (not "clip-ons)? Headlight and instruments mounted to the frame (not the forks?)  There are braces coming forward of the side plates to the lower rear of the engine?  More smooth semi-gloss (or fuzzy, bubbly flat) black engine paint)?

That would all make for a second generation frame and the 5.5" rear rim with a more "relaxed" steering geometry. Any of the good sport-touring tyres will serve well. Again, a lighter, quicker feel with the 170.

As described docc! :thumbsup:   Thanx.

Lots of good advice above already, but just to toss in my 2 cents...

I ran the Macadam 100X radials on a former FJ1200 I owned.  They were superior in every way to the BT45 Battlax, but unless you enjoy power sliding the rear end out of corners and leaving big black darkies (a big strong suit of the FJ with its rigid frame, long wheelbase and low center of gravity, not to mention monster torque and skinny 16" rear tire) there were certainly better sporting tires (we do have 17's at both ends, unlike the FJ), even several years back when I had that bike. 

I have run Conti Road Attacks on a (more recent) previous 1993 VFR750.  I liked them - good feedback and better than average stick, reasonable wear -  but in warmer temperatures (and it never gets truly HOT in a worldwide sense here in British Columbia) they did not fare all that well for wear.

I have had good experience with BT016's on a previous FZR1000 in a 120/180 combo and though I didn't put a lot of miles on the tires before selling the bike, they had a nice neutral feel, rode well and turned in well.  Tempted to try these on the Guzzi, as it is not that different in weight.

I have loved Dunlop Q2's when I had the chance to ride them, but honestly... they were on a Triumph Street Triple R owned by a good friend and at the time I was switching off with him against my FZ1 that was running a BT020 rear/ BT014 front combo, and anything would have been an improvement in tires, and the Street Triple R is just such a BRILLIANT handling bike that ??? well, it would probably have made even the tires on my FZ1 (that I hated - both the BT020 and BT014) feel good.

On the Guzzi, I have a 2004 LeMans with the "long" frame, the 5.5" rear wheel and the more relaxed geometry.  I replaced the Metzeler Z6's that were on it with the newer Z6 interacts last year just as the Z8s were coming out (stock sizes, 120/70-17 in front and 180/55 in rear), and have not really been happy with them.  They are fresh DOT codes and have never given out on me completely, but seem to have a narrow 'happy' range of operating temperatures and offer little confidence in the cold and/or wet, and some unnerving cornering 'slips' when riding in warmer weather, well warmed up, and sporty-ish riding (occasional scraping of the sidestand, but still some chicken strips and a long way to knee down).  When they start to wear (cupping and flattened profile in the rear in particular) the ride can get downright scary, with speed wobbles in high speed sweepers that even max setting on the steering damper won't eliminate.   This MIGHT be the bike (I've slid the tubes up 7mm in the triples to accommodate some higher Tommaselli clipons and to quicken the handling a bit) but I don't think so, as changing the rear tire eliminated the wobble (although not the lack of confidence/feedback from the tires).

My brother in law has a 2001 Sport with the narrower 4.5" rear rim, the 'short' frame and the sharper steering geometry (Steve Gurry's old bike, for those that know it) and Steve suggested keeping what he was running (after much trial and error) -  BT021's at the time, with a SMALLER yet rear tire in 160/70-17 and the stock 120/70-17.    The bike now has a BT023 front tire and is awaiting the new rear (the 021 just won't die, but it's got to be getting hard now at 4 years old).  Despite the old, slightly flattened rear tire, his bike has a beautiful, fluid roll response.  It loves to turn in, sticks well and has had NO issues whatsoever with putting down the Guzzi's modest output on the 160 section rear tire.    As for the change in the front, the BT023 feels even better.  A great fit for that bike IMO. 

For my next set the question of "which tire"? is still up in the air.  What I can tell you is that I will follow GuzziMoto's suggestion above (as well as Steve Gurry's) and go down one size in the rear, on my bike to a 170/60-17 in place of the 180/55.

Steve

• 4 months later...
You may want to try a 160 on the 4.5" rim for the 2001.

Most 170's are made for a 5" rim and get pinched when installed on a 4.5" rim. Plus the 160 is lighter.

Same advice: I actually ride with 120/60-17 and 160/60-17 on my '99 V11 Sport (4,5" rear wheel).

It feels better than the 120/70 + 170/60 that was the original fitting.

I ride with Dunlop Roadsmart II and I find them far better than any previous tyres I use: Michelin Road Pilot/Macadam, BT 057/56/20/21/23..., Avon whatever, Pirelli Diablo...

• 1 year later...

I was searching out a tire thread.  Found this one.

My tires are shot, Mich PR3 front and Pirelli Angel GT rear.  Can't complain about the mileage (I did Springfield Il, COTA Austin, and Ozarks on the rear and all that plus Spine frame raid on the front).  

Anyway, I am riding to Moto GP COTA Austin again and want new tires before I go.  The Pirellis and Michelins are really high $$.  I can get a deal on Shinkos and Continentals but I can get Dunlop Roadsmarts for 38% off which gets them in Shiko/Conti $$ range.  

So I've ordered the Dunlops.  Hope to get them on Thursday.  

Granted, I changed too many things at a time to say conclusively, but I feel like my bike handles better with the stock 170 section rear tire. PO had Conti Road Attack tires, I put on Avon Storm 2, and I love them. Tire sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. So if one tire has more of a peak to it, another might have a more even round section. The Avons have no peak.

staying with standard 170 size.  That's why I have to order the tire and won't get it until Thursday.

I think your red frame V11 came with a 4.5" rear rim. If so, it would be better suited to a 160 tire than the stock 170 size. The 5" rear rim does well with a 170 but the 4.5" rear rim is a bit narrow for it.

Why would I be better off not to use the stock size?

I've had 4 different rear tires of the stock size, they seem to wear out fast but the bike handles really well in the twisties.

First thing to do is see what the width of your rim is, that is stamped on the rim.

If you have a 4.5" rim it may be better off, you may prefer it more, because the 4.5" rim fits a 160 tire better than a 170 tire. That can result in a better shaped and sized contact patch with more rubber actually touching the road. And the 160 weighs less, so that plus the better contact patch can lead to better handling. If you search here I am pretty sure you will come up with a fair bit of info on it. It is a known issue.

It comes down to using a tire that is made to fit the rim size you have. It has nothing to do with Guzzi and everything to do with who made the tire and what size rim they made it to fit.

Early V11's had a 4.5" rear rim. Later ones had a wider rim. The early 4.5" rim fits a 160 better, the later rims (5" or 5.5", I forget) fit a 170.

The bike handles really well.  It does eat up rear tires.  I think a 160 would quicken turn in, which is outstanding now, especially with the wide Pro Taper bars.  So I am not sure why it would be better.

LowRyter- Whatever brand you get, I would recommend buying the "matched pair".  I have found that the bike handles better when running the same make/model tire on both front and rear.

When I got it, it had matched Angels.  I also had a matched pair when both Michelins were new.  Now that the front one is worn out, I am going Roadsmarts front and rear.  (in between, I've matched the front Angel with a Dunlop Q3 and the front Michelin with an Angel)

I really haven't noticed a big difference mixing and matching tire brands on this bike.  The Q3 probably stuck best but it was a sport tire.